Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the APU second hand, placed it on my Gigabyte F2A68HM-DS2 board. But am not getting the performance as advertised or shown elsewhere. Getting like 15% performance negated I think

Am planning to switch to A88X later on. Can anyone please help?

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Welcome to overclock.

What is your full system specs? Right off the bat I can tell you that your CPU does work with your motherboard providing your on the correct bios version. Refer to gigabyte website for more information.

15% negated without actual proof it most likely just you. Unless you do some actual testing and compare your results to others, we can only assume your judging performance by the seat of your pants without actual hard facts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did, Passmark I keep getting fluctuations in performance from 4600 to 4300, floating point and Integer point score is a lot less from my previous A8 6600K Stock.

Cinebench R15 is giving 270 score at CPU stock clock.

Full configuration:

A10 7700K
F2A68HM-DS2
4GBx2 Dominator GT 2000Mhz
GTX 780 3GB
Tt Smart SE 630
Win 10

Did bios update, no effect

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Check with Cinebench R15. If everything works correctly, you should score ~300. If you score significantly less, then most likely the VRM on your motherboard is overheating. The VRM on your motherboard has just three phases for the CPU power and it is bare naked (without a heatsink). It is entirely possible that you are throttling even at stock, if your CPU cooler provides no downwards airflow to the VRM.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
A8 6600k is faster stock and in turbo over the A10 7700k

A8 6600k 3.9Ghz, turbo 4.2Ghz
A10 7700k 3.4Ghz turbo 3.9ghz

You would need to OC to the same speeds too see a small difference.
The difference is not 15%, less than 8%.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Check with Cinebench R15. If everything works correctly, you should score ~300. If you score significantly less, then most likely the VRM on your motherboard is overheating. The VRM on your motherboard has just three phases for the CPU power and it is bare naked (without a heatsink). It is entirely possible that you are throttling even at stock, if your CPU cooler provides no downwards airflow to the VRM.
I had the exact idea, so my board is the problem since it's 3+2 phase. I have noticed it has those. I have a CM 212X cooler but I don't think it cools my VRM since it gets really hot over there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

A8 6600k is faster stock and in turbo over the A10 7700k

A8 6600k 3.9Ghz, turbo 4.2Ghz
A10 7700k 3.4Ghz turbo 3.9ghz

You would need to OC to the same speeds too see a small difference.
The difference is not 15%, less than 8%.
This is Kaveri, it's provides better performance per clock and less TDP. That's why I bought it
frown.gif

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisLester View Post

This is Kaveri, it's provides better performance per clock and less TDP. That's why I bought it
frown.gif
If you get an A88X-PRO that throttling goes away and then some because you will be able to also work on a decent overclock.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Maybe you just bought a bum chip.
Getting a bum chip as in defective is rarer than hens teeth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What do you mean by "elsewhere"? Is their testing setup ducumented? Operating System (and service pack/updates), PassMark version? Fresh install? Tested after shutdown + reboot?
You should copy their setup as much as possible to get similar results, don't just judge on your APU like: i don't get this score -> APU broken. Fluctuation in benchmarks is common, try to test with clean OS.
Edit: it's possible to get huge varations depending on OS (even x84 vs x64) and eventually OS updates, and certainly bloatware. Fluctuation between 4600 and 4300 is worthless, go for 10 runs minimum (or more if there is obvious aberration that need to be discarded later on) and calculate the mean score:
First run: power on, benchmark, write numbers down, shut down.
Second run: power on, benchmark, write numbers down, shut down.

Edit 2: Helpful software (never tested myself): http://www.passmark.com/products/rebooter.htm

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

Getting a bum chip as in defective is rarer than hens teeth.
OP bought the chip second hand buddy. That's makes it very much possible that he for suckered into buying a chip that was used and abused.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the chip was bad, it wouldn't boot or would be crashing non-stop. I think the motherboard is just the bottleneck, and those APU's love fast memory, DDR3-2400 would help even more.

And I don't know about you guys but I can never match the benchmarks of a professional review. I am always around 10% slower no clue why.

·
Politically incorrect
9,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post

If the chip was bad, it wouldn't boot or would be crashing non-stop. I think the motherboard is just the bottleneck, and those APU's love fast memory, DDR3-2400 would help even more.

And I don't know about you guys but I can never match the benchmarks of a professional review. I am always around 10% slower no clue why.
Booting or crashing depends entirely on the damage done. Maybe the chip has degraded but is still functional, which is why it was sold. In this case it will still boot and work but then crash in specific cases.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Booting or crashing depends entirely on the damage done. Maybe the chip has degraded but is still functional, which is why it was sold. In this case it will still boot and work but then crash in specific cases.
Thanks for the say Liranan. It just seems that no one is willing to look into the facts.
OP bought a chip second hand.
OP has no history of the chip itself. There is no carfax or whatever for a used proc.
This INCREASES the chance of him getting a chip that could have been used for by some kid in his moms basement who decided to push it with voltage on stock air cooler.

It could be the board or something else.
His board has a 4+1 power phase design. I wouldn't use it for clocking, but it should handle the CPU at stock nicely.

When you buy used ANYTHING, you need to accept the fact that it's possible the performance has been degraded. That comes with the territory. Like I said, there is no carfax or Used car package or history report for used proc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought it second hand from a guy I know, he's not a kid. He's a techie, pretty much owns a beastly rig himself. I've told him about this but he got bummed out saying he got really good performance out of it from his board, so yeah it's more likely the board cause am seeing people saying not to use A68H on APUs with iGPUs. Anyhoo selling the board, planning to buy something ASRock A88X Pro3+

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK got a new board, G1 A88X Sniper from Gigabyte. Overclocked it to 4.2Ghz, stable. Got 6500 from Passmark 8, haven't tried Cinebench R15 but will do later. Btw it's confusing to tell which one is the default stock voltage for the board, can anyone help? I want to OC to 4.3Ghz

·
Politically incorrect
9,299 Posts
Please provide screenshots or photos of your BIOS and we will help you from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Please provide screenshots or photos of your BIOS and we will help you from there.
Am not sure how to go into bios and take a screenshot there, but I managed to OC by putting Vcore at 0162+. Updated to the latest bios just recently

1 - 20 of 20 Posts