Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6970 graphics card wouldn't really overclock too well. 900MHz was my peak overclock, and anything past that would just blip out.

I've spent about 2 hours with it now doing some extensive testing.

First thing I did: Reapplied the thermal paste, dropped the temps down a bit. Second thing I did was I manually set the fan profile (20% fan at 30 celcius, 25% at 40 celcius, all the way up to 42% at 70 celcius, 55% at 100 celcius not that it'd make it up there, and then 100% fan at 105 celcius).

After applying manual fan control and going back and forth between furmark and MSI Afterburner, I finally managed to get a peak overclock of 930MHz. I determined that I'm 100% stable up to the low 70's, and soon as I start hitting 74 celcius I hit stability problems.

So what I'm wondering is this: Should I back the overclock off? Or should I up the voltage? I brought the voltage up a very tiny smidge (1.175v -> 1.18v) and that seems to fix my issue. The heat also doesn't get that high under regular circumstances (most games don't really stress like furmark does).

Also, if my card acts this way... what does that mean? Others seem to get stability even if they hit in the low 90's. It seems like I hit a stability wall at a lower temperature.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Increasing voltage will increase temps so that's not going to help you. Increase your fan speeds if you want to cool the card more. Set the fan to 100% constant, and test your card to get an idea of what your max clocks are.

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the thing is I'm looking for a happy medium here. As voltage is increased, that will generally increased the heat; however with a small increment of voltage, the heat output isn't changing by much (ex. 1.75 -> 1.80 really is so minimal). And of course with any device, an increase in voltage tends to provide a greater ability to overclock. So the happy medium I'm trying to get is a happy voltage setting. I have my fan set up perfectly now, so it's just a matter of testing everything I guess.

Wish I had $80 to waste on an awesome aftermarket cooler for my GPU... but then that'd bring the total cost of my GPU to nearly $500 after taxes and all. Too much <_<

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.