Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal:

after a bad storm knocked my PC around about a month ago, my comuter hasn't been the same.

I swapped mobos three times (now on a AsRock 939Dual-Sata), ran Memtest86 on both sticks of 512MB RAM sperately on #8 over 50 times, checked/swapped power supply, and for the life of me I cannot findout why Prime95 fails on stock either in 1 hour or 5 hours or some other random hour...what gives?

Is it really my CPU?

Or maybe my PSU took the brunt of it and it's fluctuating too much? I'll go investigate fully now...

kk, thanks guys; if it is my CPU, I can always return it to Fry's and get a cherry-picked E6 core =D

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
What exactly do you mean my "knocked around"? Physiclly or electriclly? Also have you tried measuring your voltages with a digital multimeter?

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
If you have already swapped mobos three times and you're still gettting the same results then the mobo is discarded from the equation.
It's either your cpu or your ram.

Try running one 512MB stick at a time. Take out a stick and just keep 512MB plugged and run the "Blend" test in Prime95. See if both modules alone give you an error or it only happens with one of the modules. That way you'll be able to discard them from the equation as well.
If you only get an error with one of the module while the other seems to work pretty well then you'll also be able to discard the cpu and psu from being damaged. Because if they were the cause of the problem then you would get errors on both memory modules.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
probably the PSU. Seems your memory is passing memtest, though you should run all the tests..
I doubt it's your cpu, possible, but doubtful...not the mobo, probably the psu.
Just troubleshoot with minimal things plugged in.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yar, I'm running my computer with my old trusty Antec TruePower 2.0 350W 0_o;;

Low wattage, but so far everything seems to be good...

If that fails, then I'll do the 1 stick w/ Prime95 deal, maybe it'll show something.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was stupid enough to leave my computer on during a bad storm, and when I woke up, the power was out...

When I finally got to turn it back on, the computer was very unstable...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts