Overclock.net banner

Is my GPU dying?

782 12
Hello everyone.
Around a year ago my motherboard died so I changed a bunch of stuff aside from my GPU ( namely the CPU, Mobo, RAM and I bought an SSD and eventually a new HDD as well ) My current specs are :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo : Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite V2
RAM : 2x8GB DDR4 2400 MHz w/XMP
PSU : XFX 850W Gold Certified ( The PSU is probably around 5 years old at this point )
GPU : Galaxy Geforce GTX 660 Ti ( I know.. KEKW )

GPU is around... 9 to 10 years old at this point probably. With the rising prices of GPU's ( and they're even more ridiculous where I live ), I haven't really been able to change it.
Over the past month or two, I've been getting freezes. 95%+ of the time they happen while gaming. The PC would freeze ( but the voice would still be working ), and then a few seconds later sometimes it would unfreeze, other times it would unfreeze but keep on freezing and unfreezing and that wouldn't stop even if I close the game. I would have to hard reboot the PC, otherwise the freezes continue even if I'm just using my desktop.

I tried doing a heaven benchmark a few times. One time it completely froze and never unfroze and I had to hard reboot it, other time it abruptly stopped out of the blue and exited the benchmark, and one time it kept giving me freezes/black screens and I'm fairly certain I saw some artifacts, then it exited and gave me an error message.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

Is the GPU deadge?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
4,467 Posts
I don't think you need to do any further testing. Just go ahead and get a replacement gpu. No tests you could run would be any more informative than the crashes during gaming.

But you can always try reformatting to rules out software. You can also try one ram stick at a time to rule out the ram.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with any testing, I'd just replace the gpu.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've been eying replacements for my GPU because it is most likely the culprit, but I'm undecided on which one to get. Should I discuss them here or create a separate thread for that?

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,677 Posts
600 series isn’t officially supported with driver updates. So even if the hardware works, you’re bound to run into other quirks on a modern system. Windows 10 / recent games

So yea, definitely worth replacing the GPU. The min. spec has been a GTX 780 / 970 / 1060 for quite a few years. (2015-2020) Which is about 2x the perf of the 660 Ti.

Create a new thread with a budget and the community will help. Likely a 6600* recommendation :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
So here are my questions for you.
What Operating System are you using?
What version of the Nvidia Drivers are you using?
When is the last time you did a fresh reload of your operating system?
Do you have a spare hard drive to install a fresh version of your operating system to see if you can recreate the error?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Windows 10
Latest supported nvidia drivers for my GPU ( 474.04 )
It's been a while.. probably 8 months or more.
I have an SSD and a HDD if that helps, but I don't have any spare working SSD/HDD.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,677 Posts
You could always try monitoring temps to rule out dried up paste. Still recommend the GPU upgrade. In the bigger picture, the 660 Ti is very outdated. I had one before I moved to my 780 and I recall a huge performance increase. Yet the 780 today can barely handle latest games.

·
Watercooled
899 Posts
You can try in Unigine in a Linux environment to discard any Windows driver issues. There are distros that even come with NVIDIA drivers pre-installed (PopOS) so you can "live CD" the OS in a USB. Don't need to be installed to test the GPU.
But I agree with the rest, that GPU is very outdated. Even something like a RX 6600 that is dirty cheap right now will be a massive upgrade

• Rep+
Reactions: Skorpian

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate all the help. I replaced my GPU with an ASUS TUF RTX 3050 OC and the problem is resolved and yes, it is indeed a massive upgrade.
I looked for the RX 6600 as it seemed like the better bang for buck but it very unavailable here unfortunately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts