30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my CPU
-AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103706

Here's my GPU
-XFX RADEON HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 PCI Express Card
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002Q4U5EY

Is the GPU going to be limited by the CPU? If so, what do you think I'll have to overclock the CPU to get my money's worth out of the GPU.

What GPU would match up with a STOCK AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor?

Thank you for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conley View Post
You should be fine. However, overclocking the 620 to around 3.2GHz or higher wouldn't hurt any.
Yep, definitely a small CPU bottleneck there.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
That depends on what game or bench you try to run and at what settings you try to run it.

For example if you bench 3dMark06, which runs stock at 1280x1024, DX9, with 0xAA, yes, it will be a huge bottleneck (like it is pretty much no matter what cpu you have). However, if you bench using Vantage Extreme (1920x1200, DX10, 4xAA, 16xAF), you will see very, very little cpu-bottleneck.

Bottlenecks are a function of both the hardware, and the software you run on that hardware. Thus, questions like these cannot be accurately answered without the test and settings being specified. It's impossible.

Of course, that never stops people from chiming in with their unqualified guesses ...

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
You will experience a relatively large bottleneck on that CPU at stock speeds.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
That depends on what game or bench you try to run and at what settings you try to run it.

For example if you bench 3dMark06, which runs stock at 1280x1024, DX9, with 0xAA, yes, it will be a huge bottleneck (like it is pretty much no matter what cpu you have). However, if you bench using Vantage Extreme (1920x1200, DX10, 4xAA, 16xAF), you will see very, very little cpu-bottleneck.

Bottlenecks are a function of both the hardware, and the software you run on that hardware. Thus, questions like these cannot be accurately answered without the test and settings being specified. It's impossible.

Of course, that never stops people from chiming in with their unqualified guesses ...
QFT.

That processor will not start to become a bottleneck in most games until you reach ~100 fps, depending on the game. Get a nice monitor and turn up the IQ if you want to get the most out of your 5850.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts