Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the hard drive in question is a 120 gig Seagate SATA drive.<br><br>
A friend i built a computer for came to me and told me Windows XP will not boot. it would just stick on the Windows xp splash screen and the bar at the bottom keeps moving. after a while it would either restart for some reason or go straight to CHkdsk.<br><br>
It automatically ran Chkdsk and he got the following errors:<br><br>
"file record segment 27544 is unreadable" and<br>
"file record segment 27552 is unreadable"<br><br>
and at one point in the CHKDSK it said "deleting index entry" but my friend couldn't read the rest to me in time because chkdsk finished..<br><br>
after that was done the computer functioned just fine. but this problem has been happening for about 6 months and just now it finally autoran CHKDSK.. before it would just freeze up in windows and my buddy would turn his comp off and turn it on moments later and SOMETIMES it'd go into windows. other times itd stay frozen at the splash screen. sometimes, it would even go into windows but be so slow that not even the task manager would pop up on call. and we are definitely expecting it to happen again becaues it's never worked a straight week without something similar like this happening<br><br>
we had this hard drive replaced about 8 months ago through seagate's warranty. it worked consistently for a good month or two at first. i dont know whether to assume the first one was defective and so is this one.. or if theres a totally different component causing this problem...<br><br>
Is there something else going on here or have I gotten some bad hard drives? I have been building computers for free for my friends for the past 6 years and have never ran into a frustrating problem like this.. i'm considering having this second hard drive RMA'd also but i dont want to recieve a 3rd hard drive with the same results.anyone have any ideas??

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
Could be several issues. Do you get bad sectors also? or just these unreadable segments?<br />
<br />
Did he overclock the rig, or is he running stock? If he overclocked it, put it back to stock. At first glance, it seems to be a hard drive failure, but if it is, there seems to be an external cause. Does the hard drive have sufficient cooling? Maybe it's overheating. Also, is the PSU maybe creating havoc? Check the voltages on all the rails and see if they're within range and stable.<br />
<br />
Finally, this might also be a RAM issue. Do a run of MEMTEST86.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Chozart</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Could be several issues. Do you get bad sectors also? or just these unreadable segments?<br />
<br />
Did he overclock the rig, or is he running stock? If he overclocked it, put it back to stock. At first glance, it seems to be a hard drive failure, but if it is, there seems to be an external cause. Does the hard drive have sufficient cooling? Maybe it's overheating. Also, is the PSU maybe creating havoc? Check the voltages on all the rails and see if they're within range and stable.<br />
<br />
Finally, this might also be a RAM issue. Do a run of MEMTEST86.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>no it is not overclocked. he has an asus k8n with a san diego 3700 i believe. and he has two gigs of OCZ RAM (4 x 512).. he bought a 60 dollar PSU off newegg and has stock fans that came with his thermaltake case and motherboard.

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
Well.. again, check the voltages on that PSU... it might be that fluctuations in voltage cause havoc<br />
<br />
And run memtest86 on that RAM.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Chozart</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Well.. again, check the voltages on that PSU... it might be that fluctuations in voltage cause havoc<br />
<br />
And run memtest86 on that RAM.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Very good point Chozart, low voltage will slowly take a HDD down!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts