Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm not super tech savvy so I was hoping I could reach out and get some help with what I think might be hard drive problems. I've been playing games on my computer and noticed some pretty significant fps drops. I ran a speed test on my hard drives and noticed large swings in the read and write speeds. I've compiled a list of tests below.

My question for you are the results normal? If not, can I repair or improve performance? Or should I be looking to get a new hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and if there is any more information that I haven't presented that might be useful please let me know and I'll try can gather it for you!

System information and test results:

I run my operating system (Windows 8) on a SSD and install games on a traditional hard drive.

The following are speeds tests for the SSD

The following are speeds test for the traditional hard drive

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
How old is the drive? If it is 5 years or older, you could certainly expect that it is at the end of it's life. Given how dirt cheap spinning drives are, I would replace it if you're concerned. Maybe even consider just replacing it with an ssd.

If you haven't done so, back up your data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you run the quick test and extended test? Have you checked the SMART data? Did you run the error test? I know those are all available on HD Tune. Those will all tell you if there's a problem. But make sure to always backup everything just in case.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi @jamesluke and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad everything is resolved and you managed to find what was the issue!
thumb.gif

I just wanted to add that the best way to determine if there's something wrong with a hard disk is to run a test on it and check what the S.M.A.R.T. results are. Usually the manufacturers have their own programs for that purpose which are tuned specifically for their products, so you can check in the official manufacturers website if such one is available. If there's such you can download it and run a regular tests to see what is the health of the unit. Since you have a WD drive you can use Data Lifeguard DIagnostics for that purpose:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=cpyYmP

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts