Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very concerned about this older WD 80G drive today. I attempt to run the burn-in on sandra light 2005sr2.a, while it is doing hard drive tests, it stops responding for a long time, then windows crashes with machine check exception. I run chkdsk on my older 80G drive, because it carries most of my valuable data(and is the oldest HDD I have/use). It gets to stage 4, sits there with the LED light constant for about 15-20 minutes. No progress bar movement, so I click ctrl alt delete to look in my processes. Windows crashes with machine check exception again. Is this something like an IRQ problem or is this drive going bad? I ran chkdsk again on the drive in command prompt with read-only, it did all 3 stages and showed 0KB of bad sectors.

Edit: I forgot another thing that has concerned me for ages but never has become any real problem I have noticed. This older 80G drive also constantly makes this clicking and hissing noise. It is very random, but it does it so often it is strange. Especially when I am in BIOS, I hear it much more often then in windows. It is a quick click, then a short silent hiss, like it is stopping and restarting or something.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Well, I had a Maxtor 5400RPM 40GB for about 5 years and it never gave me problems until I started overclocking and my pci clock was on auto rather than locked, so therefore my hdd got corrupted and started acting up. What I suggest to you is to get a new hdd (160GB) make a 80GB partition drag everything over, and trash your 80GB hdd now, because I kept that 40GB corrupted hard drive on my IDE channel 1 and when it actually failed on me for some reason my IDE channel dosent work for hard drives anymore, only for optical cd drives. Weird but thats what happens..

And yes I really do think your hdd is going bad (just incase u didn't understand
)

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had this drive for 6 years, has always made the clicking/hiss noise, even before I ever knew what overclocking was. I am guessing it is just something with the older drive build, unless it was faulty from start. However, it has never caused problems, never corrupted data, never lost partitions or anything, so who knows.

This crash thing I am not sure what it is. It did it again a few mins ago when I was only browsing IE. I just removed a couple of question-able regedit tweaks I did, that Either I know nothing about, or have gave me problems before; hopefully that will fix it.

For example putting windows into my memory, it has never liked that option. When I use to use it on my Gigabyte board it would constantly run out of memory on physical and HDD ram, during normal tasks. It has never been helpful to me. I know this crashing started a little after I changed registry, so it is more then likely one of the tweaks, such as the one I just listed.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost

I have had this drive for 6 years, has always made the clicking/hiss noise, even before I ever knew what overclocking was. I am guessing it is just something with the older drive build, unless it was faulty from start. However, it has never caused problems, never corrupted data, never lost partitions or anything, so who knows.

This crash thing I am not sure what it is. It did it again a few mins ago when I was only browsing IE. I just removed a couple of question-able regedit tweaks I did, that Either I know nothing about, or have gave me problems before; hopefully that will fix it.

For example putting windows into my memory, it has never liked that option. When I use to use it on my Gigabyte board it would constantly run out of memory on physical and HDD ram, during normal tasks. It has never been helpful to me. I know this crashing started a little after I changed registry, so it is more then likely one of the tweaks, such as the one I just listed.

Well the clicking is GOING to happen with any hard drive (that I know of) I think its the reader on the plates so. Thats nothing to worry about, as far as just being OLD hard drives have gotta quit sometime, and I'm not saying your hdd is dead, but idk I would just go get a new one. Try the 3Dmark03 (i think) hdd test, and if it dosen't pass I'm pretty sure that your hdd is corrupted.

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost

The clicking hiss noise is a classic sign of a dying hard drive seriously i would back up anything you may need and get ready to buy another HDD

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

The clicking hiss noise is a classic sign of a dying hard drive seriously i would back up anything you may need and get ready to buy another HDD

Really? what about the plates being read. does that have anything to do w/ reading? becuase that happens whenever I scan my hard drive, it happened when i FIRST got my hard drive and i installed windows. or am I thinking of a different type of clicking.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am going to backup the lovely 60GIG of data to my other 120Giger, which is now free for such purposes. Since I have my SATA 250G for windows. Better to take precaution, even being a normal sound, I do not need to loose all of that data o_O. About it being normal, I have never had this clicking sound from any other HDD's I have had. Just this one since its birth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts