Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running with 8GB of RAM. 2 x 2GB of Corsair XMS3 and 2 x GB of OCZ Gold. About a month ago I had a major system crash and couldn't even get into BIOS. I stripped the whole PC down and rebuilt in an attempt to identify the problem. It turned out the XMS3 modules were the problem as running with the 2 x 2GB OCZ modules booted fine and I proceeded to re-install windows. I RMA'd the XMS modules back to Scan.co.uk and they confirmed the modules were faulty. Been running with the OCZ and everything has been fine up until saturday when I had a game crash during Starcraft 2. I could get back into windows but restarting the game led to more crashes and the game reporting it had a corrupt install. Since then I have had crash after crash after crash in windows, in games, in startup. So I reformatted a spare HDD and did another complete re-install of windows 7 to that. Was reinstalling all my basic apps and software with a view to creating a master disc image I can restore if this happens again. Guess what !? I crashed ! Now I have run the Windows Memory test a few times this weekend with no errors found. However, this morning I was attempting to trouble shoot my BSODs and decided to run MemTest again. This time it fails with problems reported ! Is this just coincidence that my XMS3 modules die and then after 2 weeks in the same slots the OCZ modules die ?? Seems one hell of a coincidence if that is the case ! What could be killing my RAM ? Motherboard, PSU ? I am at a loss !

Sorry for the long post but I really need to get to the bottom of this one. I am still waiting on my RMAs to come back from Scan and the idea of having to RMA my motherboard or PSU to them considering how long this has taken is NOT appealing

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have gotten SO many bad modules of OCZ, more than likely it just never dipped into the area that was bad when you were using it until then, once it hit the corrupted\\faulted part of the ram memory, bam crash. Get rid of that OCZ and get some Mushkin. Corsair\\OCZ = meh ram at best, it seems whenever I buy them 1 out of 2 sticks is always bad...

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
did you set the voltages in the bios? sometimes when the bios auto-detects ram it can set it at some pretty crazy voltages

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by twich12 View Post
did you set the voltages in the bios? sometimes when the bios auto-detects ram it can set it at some pretty crazy voltages
No never bothered. Just let the BIOS do itself. When my replacement XMS3s arrive I will set them manually. Is it just a case of copying the timings from the packaging into the BIOS ?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post
No never bothered. Just let the BIOS do itself. When my replacement XMS3s arrive I will set them manually. Is it just a case of copying the timings from the packaging into the BIOS ?
yeah, the timings and the voltages. Maybe by default the voltage is too high for the chips? I know my new mobo sets voltage .1v higher than my old one for the ram. So yeah, check it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Hillskill

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I manually set the timings and voltage in the BIOS and things seemed to be better. Not sure whether its a case of the damage had already been done as I have just had two system lockups on Prime 95. My system isn't overclocked so it should pass it no probs. I just checked and my replacement XMS3s have just been despatched so it looks like as soon as these arrive I will have to RMA the OCZ. Thats the last time I mix RAM ! If I get replacement OCZ Golds I will sell them and replace with identical XMS3s. Thats if I even bother going to 8GB. Its caused me nothing but grief so far

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats originally how I have always set it up. Seemed to be fine using the mem ok button up until these recent problems. All I want to do is play Starcraft 2

·
Registered
51 Posts
did u tried to move em to slot 2-4?Btw for starcraft exclusive u can try to use only slot one with the ok stick, till ur other 2 comes back,and then send these 2 to RMA

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been playing it on my iMac

OK, replacement XMS3 modules have arrived so I should be able to get them in tonight and RMA the OCZ Golds. I might post back this evening with some screenies of my bios so I can be sure I am changing the correct timings. If these modules die then I am RMA'ing the Mobo

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Modules are in and CPUz shows all the correct timings. BUT......why does it show my RAM speed at 666 MHz !? Should be 1600 ! Tried changing manually in the BIOS but the highest option is 1333MHz although that still shows as 666 in CPUz

·
HGTTG
1,029 Posts
666*2=1332

The reason that 1333MHz is the highest that it shows is probably that is the fasted that it can go with the BCLK and other BIOS settings that you currently have. Are you at stock BIOS settings, if you are as a test raise your BCLK and see if that gives you a higher ram setting to choose.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by idahosurge
View Post

666*2=1332

The reason that 1333MHz is the highest that it shows is probably that is the fasted that it can go with the BCLK and other BIOS settings that you currently have. Are you at stock BIOS settings, if you are as a test raise your BCLK and see if that gives you a higher ram setting to choose.

Will give it a go now

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See attached pics. Not sure what I should be tinkering with. No obvious option for BCLK although I noticed under advanced it is set to 1333 but no option to change.

·
HGTTG
1,029 Posts
Change AI Overclock Tuner to manual and then your BCLK will probably show up.

I have not OC'ed this board, but the settings are simular to an i7. I would search the Intel CPU section for a tread on your CPU, there is probably one and you can get help on OC BIOS settings for this CPU and MB.

• Rep+
Reactions: Hillskill
1 - 15 of 15 Posts