Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past Month or so since I received my 5870 my friend has been telling me my Power Supply, is too small for my Sig Rig (Exception of my OCZ Vertex 2 coming Monday), I've been shrugging him off since usually the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. But after hearing it for so long I'm starting to doubt my good ole PSU, so virtually my question is is my PSU ok or is it barely cutting it?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You're pulling no more than 350W. Your power supply is overrated a bit, it's more of a 500-550W, but that's still plenty. Not the best PSU, but not bad either.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dtrain

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

You're pulling no more than 350W. Your power supply is overrated a bit, it's more of a 500-550W, but that's still plenty. Not the best PSU, but not bad either.

Thanks for your quick reply Phaedrus I was actually starting to think i may need a new PSU.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtrain View Post
Thanks for your quick reply Phaedrus I was actually starting to think i may need a new PSU.
Glad to put your mind at ease.

I don't really like the GS series, and even BFG product manager Jonny Gerow (of JonnyGURU.com) has said that it was a compromise between the engineering and sales departments. So it's a solid design, but peak rated at 25*C. But generally if you knock ~100W off the label, that's what it can deliver continuous at 40*C (real world rating). At those levels they aren't bad at all. I just would prefer something honestly rated with a bit higher build quality. Plus I'm a freak who knows more about power supplies than any non-electrical engineer should know.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Glad to put your mind at ease.

I don't really like the GS series, and even BFG product manager Jonny Gerow (of JonnyGURU.com) has said that it was a compromise between the engineering and sales departments. So it's a solid design, but peak rated at 25*C. But generally if you knock ~100W off the label, that's what it can deliver continuous at 40*C (real world rating). At those levels they aren't bad at all. I just would prefer something honestly rated with a bit higher build quality. Plus I'm a freak who knows more about power supplies than any non-electrical engineer should know.

I always figured I was cutting it somewhere close around the actual output, didn't realize I was using 350W with the clocks I had setup on my rig.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I actually misread, thought you had a 5850... But that doesn't make much difference. Anywhere from 300-375W at the absolute peak consumption, LinX+Furmark+HDTune. Your idle if you have Speedstep on should be around 75W, ~100-150W if it's off, and that's where you'll be 90% of the time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You can never have enough horsepower, megahertz,torque,money or knowledge. I try to learn something new everyday. (usually because I make a mistake at least once a day)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts