·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OCN,

System specs:

Corsair RM850 (about 2 yrs old)
4790k (stock)
Gigabyte z97 ud5h-bk (optimised dfaults, no xmp)
16 gb G. Skill TridentX 2400 cl10
EVGA 780 classified

Since January, I have had trouble with random restarts in windows 10. Windows will simply crash and restart without a BSOD (I have bsod and dumps enabled).

The event viewer shows

Code:

Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>3</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-04-27T09:42:24.424416700Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>578</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>DESKTOP-9V6CQ62</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  0x0 
  0x0 
  0x0 
  0x0 
  </EventData>
  </Event>
Initially I thought i had a driver conflict that was causing this. But this event log is from a fresh windows 10 install(done today), with only Intel Management interface, intel INF, Nvidia 364.72 drivers installed on the system.
It mostly happens when the pc is waking from sleep, but can also happen browsing chrome. It happens on a semi daily basis, 1-2 times a day max.

The ram is passing memtest86 for 14 hours, with 0 errors.

So far i suspect the PSU, board, GPU.

I have ordered a EVGA supernova g2 750 to test with, it should arrive on friday.

Anyone have any input/help, id highly appreciate it
thumb.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw. the GPU is on a skynet custom bios and have been heavily overclocked pretty much since i got it, two years ago.

For a few months now, the GPU has made subtle screen flickering on windows boot, when afterburner applies the overclock (that has been stable for a long time). Eventually the flicker will stop, and I can game with the overclock no problem.

Reseting the gpu clocks will stop this behaviour on boot.

Could be my GPU is dying?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,907 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Windows will simply crash and restart without a BSOD
Does your computer crash by shutting down immediately then turning back on or does it go black screen then restart?

Also do you get hard freezing issues? I have the same motherboard with overclocked CPU, RAM and GPU. I may be able to help you with this issue.

I did get a BSOD (didn't show BSOD but I knew it was one, as I used Bluescreenview to check) when I woke my PC from sleep. It seems to be fine for now after waking it up again from sleep mode a few more times.

Have you tried using Bluescreenview to check for bluescreen dumps? You can download the software here:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Try another PSU if you have one if the problem goes away then its the PSU.
If it does not then its something else.

The Corsair RM is really not all that great anyway.
Why you might not want to buy a Corsair RM PSU
Hello Shilka. I am getting a 750w evga g2 in from komplett that im gonna test on. I have read your post on the RM series before, but that was prior to my purchase
frown.gif
Actually I hope its just the PSU giving in, that would be the easier replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50
Does your computer crash by shutting down immediately then turning back on or does it go black screen then restart?

Also do you get hard freezing issues? I have the same motherboard with overclocked CPU, RAM and GPU. I may be able to help you with this issue.

I did get a BSOD (didn't show BSOD but I knew it was one, as I used Bluescreenview to check) when I woke my PC from sleep. It seems to be fine for now after waking it up again from sleep mode a few more times.

Have you tried using Bluescreenview to check for bluescreen dumps? You can download the software here:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
Hello benjamen50,
The PC will just go black screen and then shortly after it will show the bios start screen. I have noticed that the mouse can "freeze" and become unresponsive for 1-2 seconds before the screen turns black.
I did check my crash dumps on my old windows 10 install, unfortonately they are gone now. I didnt have very many, and the dates and times didnt line up with the critical errors in the event viewer. The research i did on the BSODs pointed towards bad drivers or corrupt memory. Which should be ruled out because the ram test ok in memtest86 and the issues persist after a fresh win10 install?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its pretty clear, that its not a windows or driver issue. I have been testing with a fresh windows 8.1 install on a seperate partition, with the same symptoms.

I just installed this beauty

I really hope she can make the difference and show that crappy Corsair unit how its done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The PSU is ruled out. I\ve had a few daily crashes running with the evga unit aswell
frown.gif

I think i have an issue with my crucial mx100 512gb. On each kernel power 41 63 event (crash) there is an error matching the exact same time stamp.

The error is

Code:

Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv" Guid="{AA3AA23B-BB6D-425A-B58C-1D7E37F5D02A}" /> 
  <EventID>10</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>1</Task> 
  <Opcode>57</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-05T08:21:18.772211400Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>758</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>DESKTOP-IESBUPK</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  AuthenticateSession 
  0x1 
  0x60000001c 
  0x900000006 
  0x0 
  0x12 
  </EventData>
  </Event>
I've learned from research that the error is due to the encryption Micron put on the ssd. The conflicts occurs when Windows tries to authenticate with what it thinks is the key to the encrypted drive. Im still not sure if Micron is to blame for a faulty implementation of TCG Opal, or if Microsoft is to blame..

A google search on the issue will reveal that alot of Crucial mx100 and m500 owners have this issue.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/M500-Issues-with-locking-up-A-TCG-Command-has-returned-an-error/m-p/166660#M47743

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Can you somehow disable this TCG opal feature? I personally don't like having encryption enabled on my drives when I don't use it or need it.

Edit: Never mind about the post above.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YEsterday my board refused to boot, and it threw alot of error codes on the motherboard debug display. Removing one of the ram sticks from slot 3 in the board, made it boot just fine, with one stick. Putting the sticks in slot 2 and 4 boots no problem. Dying ram slot? Im very confused about these issues, I swear it feels like theres a ghost in the machine at times.

I might try and Memtest86 the sticks one by one. Does this makes sense when they can pass in dual channel for 14 hours?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Can you somehow disable this TCG opal feature? I personally don't like having encryption enabled on my drives when I don't use it or need it.

Edit: Never mind about the post above.
Hello again benjamen,

Yesterday I wiped the drive completely to factory settings with a tool from crucial, then upgrading to latest firmware. Reinstalled windows, with two registry fixes added during setup, as suggested by the Crucial support forum.

Today I upgraded the board bios from f7 to f8. The PC has been on for 12 hours now with no crash. Last crash was this morning. I really hope it stays like this
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Looks like the problem is solved, no replies yet from the OP.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thanks for checking in. It is not yet solved, i still get a random shutdown once a day.

The next step is to disconnect the mx100 and run the win 8.1 install on the sepereate mechanical drive to confirm 100% that the SSD and or Windows 10 is the issue. However im in my exam period and i dont really have time to tinker and test
frown.gif

Im not sure what crucial will do if i RMA the drive, they could just refuse and blame it on Microsoft..

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Good luck, and do let us know. I have something similar happening to me about 1 a week

I replaced PSU but issue is still there.. Not related to whether on load or not, but might be related to whether system was just turned on... odd.

I do have a "questionable" windows install that doesn't let my system turn of automatically after shutting down, and my restart button does nothing, so my deal might have to do with that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by USlatin View Post

Good luck, and do let us know. I have something similar happening to me about 1 a week

I replaced PSU but issue is still there.. Not related to whether on load or not, but might be related to whether system was just turned on... odd.

I do have a "questionable" windows install that doesn't let my system turn of automatically after shutting down, and my restart button does nothing, so my deal might have to do with that.
So your PC is shutting off at random like mine? Did you have a look at the Event Viewer?

I dont know about windows 10 man. Even when i do a fresh install it quickly turns "questionable"
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
^ Don't do that blindly

Run a memory test to find out if that is the issue

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by USlatin View Post

^ Don't do that blindly

Run a memory test to find out if that is the issue
Ram is fine up to 1.75v although I do agree that you should not overvolt "for the hell of it". I have normally just run my DRAM volts as you say "blindly" at 1.7v usually equates to 1.68v by software readings and have not had an ivy, haswell, or skylake stick with any issues. But maybe I am just lucky right?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm.. If the memory can do 14 hours memtest86 over night with 0 errors, dram voltage doesnt seem to be the issue? The rig shares the same symptoms with or without xmp enabled (1.5v vs 1.65)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts