Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I can't tell if my PSU is dying or not. I think it is just the fan, but that is still not good. At random times, but ususally while I am folding, it starts to make a sound like an idleing diesel engine, just a little quieter. If I need to get a new PSU, I would like to know now so that I can order a new quality one before cyber monday ends.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I'd replace it whether it was really dying or not, Raidmax are not reliable.

If you want a Cyber Monday deal, the Antec TruePower New Blue 750W is on sale at newegg.com for $70 after rebates, compared to ~$125 normally. The Corsair VX and TX series are also good.

• Rep+
Reactions: muels7

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree with Phaedrus replacing it can't hurt especially if you think that could be the cause. I really like the Antec PSU's and their price point seems to be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

I'd replace it whether it was really dying or not, Raidmax are not reliable.

If you want a Cyber Monday deal, the Antec TruePower New Blue 750W is on sale at newegg.com for $70 after rebates, compared to ~$125 normally. The Corsair VX and TX series are also good.

Thanks +rep. By looking at my bank account, it seams I wont be able to get a cyber monday deal. But I will replace it as soon as I am able. If it lasts long enough, maybe I can get a good new years deal.

P.S. how were you able to amount so much rep in such a short amount of time and relatively small amouts of posts.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I have no idea how I got so much rep. I've made only one post that got more than one or two reps (a big post on how to tell when a PSU is failing and what damage it can cause), though that was a doozy with five reps. Only one "lulz" rep too. I dunno, I just post stuff I think is helpful, and occasionally I get repped for it.

Anyway, if you can't manage the Cyber Monday deals then I would look at the Corsair VX/TX series as some of the best PSUs at their price point.
VX450W - $45-60
VX550W - $65-80
TX650W - $90-100
TX750W - $100-110
TX850W - $130-140
TX950W - $160

I would recommend at least the VX550W for your rig, and if you plan to upgrade in the future the TX650W or TX&50W would be a good choice. If you want to shell out for features like higher efficiency (save on electric bill), modular cables, and ultra-stable voltage, then go for the Corsair HX series, SeaSonic S12D, M12D, and X-series, Antec Signature, and the higher-end CoolerMaster Real Power Pro and Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks. I think I'll take a look at the corsair HX series because I like modular and the high efficency. I will probably have to save up for one though.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
My top picks from the HX line are the HX650-850W. The 520W and 620W versions are based on an older design, the HX450W is a little underpowered for your system, and the HX1000W isn't quite up to the same standard of quality as the other HX PSUs and there's sometimes a bad batch of those with a higher failure rate than Corsair usually gets. But the HX650W, HX750W, and HX850W are just about bulletproof.

The HX650W usually goes for around $140, sometimes with a $20 rebate. That would be your best choice for an HX series PSU.

·
Banned
1,523 Posts
the best thing to do is to test your power supply with a program called OCCT it well test your psu for stability and to make sure you stay in you 5% margin

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitpc313 View Post
the best thing to do is to test your power supply with a program called OCCT it well test your psu for stability and to make sure you stay in you 5% margin
could you post a link for that program? I'm having trouble finding it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muels7 View Post
could you post a link for that program? I'm having trouble finding it.
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

But here's the direct link to the file: http://www.ocbase.com/download/OCCTPT3.1.0.zip

Quote:

Originally Posted by muels7 View Post
Thanks +rep. By looking at my bank account, it seams I wont be able to get a cyber monday deal. But I will replace it as soon as I am able. If it lasts long enough, maybe I can get a good new years deal.

P.S. how were you able to amount so much rep in such a short amount of time and relatively small amouts of posts.
The best way to get Rep+ points is to have absolutely no desire to get anything in return when helping people. I mean, take a look at my Rep count and take a look at my join date. I don't care about getting anything in return. All I want to do is help people. But here's a tip: when helping, avoid threads where you aren't really sure. This is because the chances are really good that somebody else will take care of them who knows the answer. After all, everyone has their area of expertise (this is true for people who think they don't know anything at all - even those people have something extremely valuable to offer and can have 1000 Rep within 4-6 months).

You see, it's not about the Rep. It's about making sure that everyone receives the service that they came here to get.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethy666 View Post
With respect to OCCT, there are no programs that can accurately report your PSU output.

Get yourself a good quality digital voltmeter.

Case in point, OCCT advised me that my +12v was running at 12.65v...
check with a multimeter showed the +12v was really 12.02v
Seconded!

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethy666
View Post

With respect to OCCT, there are no programs that can accurately report your PSU output.

Get yourself a good quality digital voltmeter.

Case in point, OCCT advised me that my +12v was running at 12.65v...
check with a multimeter showed the +12v was really 12.02v

So how can i tell with a voltmeter if my PSU is starting to go or not?

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muels7
View Post

So how can i tell with a voltmeter if my PSU is starting to go or not?

My comment was made as a response to this:

Quote:

If your PSU is on the way out, it will usually fail outright or your margins will be all over the place.

A voltmeter will give you an accurate reading of what your +12v, +5v and +3.3v readings are and if they are in the recommended operational margins.

Thanks Phaedrus, I was looking for something like that

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually have a volt meter built into my case. Unfortunately its not a digital readout, it just has different lines next to a voltage, so I'm not entirely sure how to read it.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think my dad has one, but i should probably have one of my own like u said. Any particular one you recommend?

It doesnt appear that newegg has a large selection of them.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I think Walmart usually has some cheap ones for $5-20.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muels7
View Post

I think my dad has one, but i should probably have one of my own like u said. Any particular one you recommend?

It doesn't appear that newegg has a large selection of them.

I got mine from Jarcar Electronics... Tandy (Radio Shack). Any good electronics store will have them. Get one that looks solid and a read out to 3 decimal places. I wouldnt spend anything more than AUD$70.

Some off them (like mine) have a thermal probe... very handy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts