Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to put a second 4890 into my rig but i have 2 problems.
1) at the moment i only have a 550w gigabyte odin PSU and dont know whether its powerful enough.
2) my current mobo only has 1 pci slot so that would need to be replaced.
So can you please give suggestions on these problems.
My current specs are below.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Do you have the Odin Pro or GT? And that PSU has 4 x 18A so it should be able to handle HD4890 in Crossfire. If you do want a better PSU, I'd suggest the Antec Truepower New TP-650.

Also you could replace the MSI P45 with a Gigabyte EP45 UD3P, which has 2 x PCI-e slots.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
what's your budget?

According to this it looks like you'd be cutting it pretty close with your current PSU. If you were to upgrade, I would recommend a Corsair TX650 (or TX750) or an Antec 650-750w PSU.

As for your mobo, you could maybe look at something like this, it has two PCI-E lanes at 16x: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813131600

I'm not too brushed up on my Intel mobo knowledge so I'm sure someone else will have a better suggestion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im currently working on a budget of around §600. And the card is §330.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny story (well not really) i used to have the p5e you suggested but somehow a bit of moisture got onto it and it coroded right through at one point so i had to purchase a cheap replacement at the time.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Even if ur PSU can handle it, it'll be risky cause u'll need room for overclocking.
I'll suggest u to get TX650.

As far as board is concerned, MSI X48 Platinum.
16x lanes on all PCI-E Slots.

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael.444
View Post

Funny story (well not really) i used to have the p5e you suggested but somehow a bit of moisture got onto it and it coroded right through at one point so i had to purchase a cheap replacement at the time.

oh noes, the p5e is my favorite 775 board

• Rep+
Reactions: Nv1si0n

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont overclock my hardware so i dont need to leave headroom for that. And the p5e was awesome when it didnt have a hole in it.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael.444
View Post

I dont overclock my hardware so i dont need to leave headroom for that. And the p5e was awesome when it didnt have a hole in it.

Then you're fine. E8400 is a very low power processor at stock.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryboto
View Post

Then you're fine. E8400 is a very low power processor at stock.

What are you saying! This boy is Sick!

Anyway, in theory you should be fine with that PSU but you are pushing the limits of it.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman_90
View Post

What are you saying! This boy is Sick!

Anyway, in theory you should be fine with that PSU but you are pushing the limits of it.

How is he pushing the limits exactly?

the 4890 uses between 120-160W, xbit shows 120 here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...0_6.html#sect0, x2=280-320W. I doubt his motherboard+CPU draw more than 70-80W at load, and he's still under 400W if he completely loaded his system.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
We have basically the same system. On IDLE (380W) you should be fine, but as soon as you run a game BOOM system shut down. LOAD (630W+) <---While playing Left 4 Dead 2.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Just remember that X38-X48 boards have quite a hot NB, the P45 boards don't run so hot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkSterr
View Post

We have basically the same system. On IDLE (380W) you should be fine, but as soon as you run a game BOOM system shut down. LOAD (630W+) <---While playing Left 4 Dead 2.

His system would not load at 630w. Maybe 400w tops.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool thanx for the advice now just to find a mobo for about §200.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkSterr
View Post

That's ridiculous. You have a 65nm quad core, overvolted and overclocked, and he has a STOCK 45nm dual core.

Edit: look here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...ssFire/23.html , 4890's, crossfired, overclocked i7 920 @ 3.8ghz, peaked at 420W total system load. He's got more than that on just the 12v rails.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryboto
View Post

How is he pushing the limits exactly?

the 4890 uses between 120-160W, xbit shows 120 here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...0_6.html#sect0, x2=280-320W. I doubt his motherboard+CPU draw more than 70-80W at load, and he's still under 400W if he completely loaded his system.

Yeah he should be fine, all I'm saying is I would not do any other major upgrades in the future without a better supply.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman_90 View Post
Yeah he should be fine, all I'm saying is I would not do any other major upgrades in the future without a better supply.
Based on that review, he could upgrade to an i7 system and still have headroom to OC. If the evolution of video cards is anything to go by, his power consumption would actually reduce if he went with a high end single chip card, like a 5870 vs doing crossfire 4890s. Unless he was doing tri/quadfire, his psu is fine for the foreseeable future. I'm still using a 220W power supply for the system in my sig.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
Based on that review, he could upgrade to an i7 system and still have headroom to OC. If the evolution of video cards is anything to go by, his power consumption would actually reduce if he went with a high end single chip card, like a 5870 vs doing crossfire 4890s. Unless he was doing tri/quadfire, his psu is fine for the foreseeable future. I'm still using a 220W power supply for the system in my sig.
Yeah suppose the 5000 series uses less power....I should just shut up now.

4800 series, and the GTX260s were super power hungry. Its good that the new cards break that trend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts