Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy guys,

I just bought a 5850 Toxix 1gb and ran a 3DM06... the result is disappointing... 14000!!! Is it right??

I'm thinking that my [email protected] is bottlenecking my Video card performances? or is it something else (like 2gb of RAM only...)??

Should I overclock my core?? Will I gain something like some 1000 points or not??

Tnks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,245 Posts
While only 2GB of RAM will hurt in games, it doesn't influence at all 3DM2006.
Your CPU is certainly bottlenecking the performance of the graphics card. The Q6600 was a great CPU if over 3GHz, but @stock it's not great for games. Overclocking the graphics card won't really bring anything, OCing the CPU on the other hand would be a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you say I'll get a good improvement?? (even with games I hope..)

I got a stock CPU cooler... should I buy a new one??

And if Yes... wich one with a good performance/cost rate??? (just not to cast away money with 50/60€ coolers...)

I'm running 3dm06 only for testing... I want the better performance I can get, most of all with games!! So other 2Gb of ram will help the cause?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dimmu
View Post

So you say I'll get a good improvement?? (even with games I hope..)

I got a stock dissy... should I buy a new one??

And if Yes... wich one with a good performance/cost rate??? (just not to cast away money with 50/60€ dissys...)

I'm running 3dm06 only for testing... I want the better performance I can get, most of all with games!! So other 2Gb of ram will help the cause?

What's a dissy? And yes overclock your cpu because it's free and you will see an improvement. 4Gb of ram is also a good idea because the operating system with antivirus and whatever else you're running can use up 1Gb+ alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by skatingrocker17
View Post

What's a dissy?

Ehm.. sorry... CPU cooler!!!

And, are you sure it's free to overclock?? I think that at 3Ghz my comp. will not be stable with stock cooler...
 

·
Veteran
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
More RAM = Less lag spikes in game due to pagefile
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,293 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by bcham
View Post

i upgraded to 4gig of ram from 2gig,i see no difference in games.

Depends on what games you play. Pretty sure that if you play something like Battlefield 2 or 2142 then 2GB is all you need. If you play Crysis, you'll see a HUGE increase in performance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,940 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dimmu
View Post

Ehm.. sorry... CPU cooler!!!

You should not have a bottleneck, they are overrated. You can buy a new cooler and overclock a bit. The 14k score is just because of the CPU and not because of the GPU. Because the scores = CPU + GPU = score.

Whats only the GPU score?
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
46,947 Posts
Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz is very slow. You will need it at least 3.4GHz to use that HD 5850 nicely. I had my Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz and there was no bottleneck when i had the HD 5850.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tnks all,

I'll overclock my CPU at 3Ghz at least... Now I need a good cooler but I can't buy expensive ones like the one Jarvillio said. Something cheaper??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
If your CPU is a G0 you may be able to get to 3GHz at stock volts (mine does 3.2 at stock), in which case you could get away with using the stock cooler.
A great cheap cooler is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+
 

·
Old school
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dimmu
View Post

Tnks all,

I'll overclock my CPU at 3Ghz at least... Now I need a good cooler but I can't buy expensive ones like the one Jarvillio said. Something cheaper??

The Coolermaster Hyper 212 is cheap and good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good!! A bit noisy (compared to the moore expensive ones!) but it will fit nicely... good, good!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Def give that CPU some OC love. You will def see the scores go up once your around 3.2 and ^
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top