Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made an agreement with a friend who was looking to start his own website, that he could host it on my server on my residential Cable connection 20mb down/3mb up connection if he builds and maintains one for me. Well he seems to be getting more and more concerned about the limitations my server may impose on the projects.

Both sites will be Java based.

His site is more informational, basically "look what i can do" as he is hoping to move to California in the next 2 years. Mine i actually see being the hog. I'm looking for a resource site where users will enter parameters and based on what they input they will receive reliant data/files that they can then download.

I know he has already setup an FTP on the server, My SQL, and Tomcat.

Is he realistic in his expectations that very quickly, this server will be over worked. I believe that the internet connection will be the limitation for me as his is just webpages and dynamic content no actual "files" being transfered other then site content.

Also i'm going back and forth on the OS partition. Should i run 2x 1 TB 7200 RPM in mirror, or should i mirror my Gen 1 74GB 10k RPM raptors?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
How much traffic is he expecting?

Does your ISP allow servers?

New 1TB HDDs outperform Raptors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,623 Posts
Yeah 3Mb/s is going to hurt you a lot. And for the OS partition, it doesn't really matter, as long as it's stable. The data partition is what has to be speedy. Unless you are running OS and data on the same set of drives, then I recommend the 2x1TBs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Shared hosting online will be better than your box, simply because of the high latency 3 Mb connection you have. Most shared hosts will have a 100 Mb/s connection shared among a couple of sites.
In terms of load on the server's CPU and HDD, I am sure almost anything you build will be fine. What kind of load are you looking to deal with? If it is just serving pages, why are you using Java?

For reference, Apache is loaded almost completely into RAM, and causes minimal HDD i/o. I found this out when I wiped a test vm during a hackathon using rm -rf / Apache still served all pages that were cached, interestingly enough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,502 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by cdolphin
View Post

Shared hosting online will be better than your box, simply because of the high latency 3 Mb connection you have. Most shared hosts will have a 100 Mb/s connection shared among a couple of sites.
In terms of load on the server's CPU and HDD, I am sure almost anything you build will be fine. What kind of load are you looking to deal with? If it is just serving pages, why are you using Java?

He wont even be able to load that box with that amount of bandwidth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by cdolphin
View Post

Shared hosting online will be better than your box, simply because of the high latency 3 Mb connection you have. Most shared hosts will have a 100 Mb/s connection shared among a couple of sites.
In terms of load on the server's CPU and HDD, I am sure almost anything you build will be fine. What kind of load are you looking to deal with? If it is just serving pages, why are you using Java?.

I'm not sure. This is just a startup thing. until it gets high enough that it isn't worth it any more at that point we will have to decide where we want to go. I'm expecting very low traffic initially. I'm sorry i'm being so vague here but Ive been told to keep tight lipped about the actual site idea until we launch other then a few tech friends that i know personally to help test and collect content for the server to dish out when it is requested. But basically MY site is going to be a technical resource to at least i hope, for Technicians, i do PC servicing in the area and i have trouble with finding things some times and i know some guys in local shops that run into the same issue. So i'm attempting to have something developed to solve this problem.

We are using Java because he's doing the design work. I'm just responsible for getting my content. My site will be an application that indexes the information contained within the database.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus
View Post

Yeah 3Mb/s is going to hurt you a lot. And for the OS partition, it doesn't really matter, as long as it's stable. The data partition is what has to be speedy. Unless you are running OS and data on the same set of drives, then I recommend the 2x1TBs.

Yea this is Temporary until we need a real setup.
I'm going to be running all Drives off a hardware riad card. THE data partition is going be be 3x 2TB in raid 5, i expect to add a few more drives in the coming months to expand that to at least 5 drives. I'l like to also order another 1TB and set it up in my mirror as a 3 drive mirror so that i can survive disc failure. currently with the 3x 2TB im getting 250mb write and 120mb read, so hopefully expanding that may increase the read speeds.

Quote:


Originally Posted by JedixJarf
View Post

your 3 Mb/s up is going to be absolutely terrible if you get more than 3 or 4 simultaneous connections, best bet is to just go pay for hosting somewhere, or go do a collo with your box.

I looked a collobox and i didn't see where that would help me any can you please elaborate.

Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

How much traffic is he expecting?

Does your ISP allow servers?

New 1TB HDDs outperform Raptors.

I'm not sure to be completely honest. I'll have to check into that, i work at a local school and when we upgraded our system years ago they didn't care what type of server we has so long as there wasn't an email server. At that time the school had their own web server, and the school had a basic cable option.

I'm considering getting 3x 1TB raptors and short stroking them to 150gb and having the OS on there. leaving the rest of that drive for other things.... haven't thought that part through.

Will there be better performance from 3 drives mirrored vs 2 drives mirrored? I know redundancy in better, just curious if boot, and or other HDD function may be better.

On another note i have a spare 128GB Crucial SSD that i have just laying around, but i would like some redundancy, and am not willing to risk it. But can anyone think of a legitimate use for the SSD in this project?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by JedixJarf
View Post

He wont even be able to load that box with that amount of bandwidth.

load as in the page or load data to the server?

on a side note i have attained actual 1 mb up connections through my FTP. had a friend connect from another state and he was pulling from my box a 1mb
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,477 Posts
I hope you've got a really good reason for using Java/Tomcat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10;13024579
I hope you've got a really good reason for using Java/Tomcat.
Why do you say that, please Elaborate?

I'm not a web developer. Last time i did websites was before CSS and all the new stuff i did it back when it was html coded, tables, text, inserted images video, and sound. all static pages. i haven't done webdesign in years.

my friend actually works for a developer in Boston.
 

·
Oh Harro
Joined
·
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;13023460
Does your ISP allow servers?
Thats a biggy. 99% of ISPs do not allow you to host any sort of server on their connection without upgrading to a business package (read your TOS). The cost of upgrading the line would probably be more expensive then to just getting a decent host.

This is especially true if you are running a for-profit or professional site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrac;13028895
Thats a biggy. 99% of ISPs do not allow you to host any sort of server on their connection without upgrading to a business package (read your TOS). The cost of upgrading the line would probably be more expensive then to just getting a decent host.

This is especially true if you are running a for-profit or professional site.
I went through all their policies and there was nothing about me hosting any servers other then email servers. When the time comes me and the friend are going to split my bill if it's reasonable for me to upgrade to business. so long as it wont be more then a hosted server. Right now im paying $40 a month so even if it doubles h'll only be paying $40 and i'll cover $40. At that time we'll look at other options.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,477 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tempest_Inc
View Post

Why do you say that, please Elaborate?

I'm not a web developer. Last time i did websites was before CSS and all the new stuff i did it back when it was html coded, tables, text, inserted images video, and sound. all static pages. i haven't done webdesign in years.

my friend actually works for a developer in Boston.

Mainly the issue is that most stuff you can reasonably be expected to do with a web site in your home has absolutely no need for Java, Tomcat or any of that carp. Now if your friend wants a web site so he can show off all the servlets he's written, that's another story, but as a general rule it's not something you'd normally be expected to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by error10
View Post

Mainly the issue is that most stuff you can reasonably be expected to do with a web site in your home has absolutely no need for Java, Tomcat or any of that carp. Now if your friend wants a web site so he can show off all the servlets he's written, that's another story, but as a general rule it's not something you'd normally be expected to use.

he does applications. Not sure about the details, but thats why i'm having him do mine as it will index, cross reference my DB and cache commonly requested info once content is sufficient to support the requests of the DB. There for i'm leaning toward your latter.

I'm also looking into their business class 12/2 so if it scales the same as my 6/1 (actually 20/3.5) i think i will have a decent connection, possibly up to 6mb up.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top