Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently overlocked my I7-5930K and two of my cores went up to about 85-90 degree. I don't think I could lower the core voltage more. Is my temperature safe?And btw, which one is the best thermal paste?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
That's technically safe, but it's very hot. What are you using for CPU cooling?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
What version of AIDA 64 are you is using? Because the latest version gets the temperatures up a lot higher than usual. If you are using 5.70 or newer use 5.60 and you should see temperatures drops significantly. Also latest version of prime95 v28.9 is fine to use too.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyx View Post

It is Cosair H100i liquid cooling
Which is not that good of a cooler.
If you want lower temps you should look into a better cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I just downloaded 5.6 version of AIDA64 and one of my cores went to 85 and the rest were 75 degree

·
2,479 Posts
Quote:

Any reccomendation for the closed-loop liquid cooling coolers?
Corsair H110i GT or the NZXT X61. Really, what you have there is a perfectly fine cooler, it'll just mean dropping down to 1.20V of Vcore and possibly 4.0GHz on the CPU. Remember, push as far as possible on your cooling, but don't push into the danger zone. I'd be aiming to keep temps below 80C at all times during stressing. 4.0GHz is perfectly fine for the 5820K. Anything higher than stock is more than enough for most modern apps and games.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,860 Posts
Quote:

Any reccomendation for the closed-loop liquid cooling coolers?
Yes dont get a CLC cooler they are all overpriced overrated overhyped loud and unreliable.
You are much better off with a good air cooler or one of the EK and Swiftech AIO kits.

Does not matter if its a Corsair / Cooler Master / Antec / NZXT or one of the others they are not worth buying.
CLC coolers are a fashion gimmick and marketing hype.

·
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

CLC coolers are a fashion gimmick and marketing hype.
I highly disagree with you there.

CLC coolers allow:
  • Lower noise under load.
  • Directs exhaust airflow to an exhaust location of your choosing - prevents heat buildup in the case.
  • Allows high profile and tall DIMMs to be used on certain tight motherboard configurations.
  • Actually quite cost competitive with the likes of Overpriced Noctua and Co.
Sure you have the risk of leakage, but Corsair's warranty covers that. Also if you get a Corsair or NZXT cooler on sale, they work out to be near the same price as a Noctua or similarly high performance air solution.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,860 Posts
Lower noise under load is a flatout lie, quiet is about the last thing they are with the pump fans and everything else going on.
Cost competitive nope not true either.

You can disagree all you want.

·
2,479 Posts
CM Seidon (£38.30) has better performance than a Noctua NH-D14 (£56.90). I guess you're right about the loudness, the Seidon is ~55% louder. But for the price, the Seidon was a no brainer for my Skylake build at 1.40V and 4.5GHz (still need to add it to my sig). Air coolers are good, but are bulky, heat the case interior and can obstruct RAM slots. I guess with CLCs you have more noise due to pump and also potential for leakage. Pros and cons aside, both choices are good, just a matter of choosing the better value option - and for me, that was the Seidon.

Edit: lol I just realised your username title.
laughingsmiley.gif

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Whenever I get a Corsair AIO, I always replace the stock fans on there to make it quiet overall.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolutional View Post

I highly disagree with you there.

CLC coolers allow:
  • Lower noise under load.
  • Directs exhaust airflow to an exhaust location of your choosing - prevents heat buildup in the case.
  • Allows high profile and tall DIMMs to be used on certain tight motherboard configurations.
  • Actually quite cost competitive with the likes of Overpriced Noctua and Co.
Sure you have the risk of leakage, but Corsair's warranty covers that. Also if you get a Corsair or NZXT cooler on sale, they work out to be near the same price as a Noctua or similarly high performance air solution.
Good air rads are quieter in reality. If anyone is water cooling to go silent, get a D5 variable, set it to two or less, and never hear a peep. Otherwise, just use a good air rad, as they are quieter without question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts