Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just flashed the BIOS exactly like XFX documentation recommended. After the process was complete it tells me to restart so I do. Now my machine won't POST past the graphics card. I tried clearing cmos and it didn't help either. Any ideas?

Luckily I'm within my 30 day window at NewEgg if it is bricked...

On a side note I think it's lame XFX puts a disclaimer in their documentation stating it's not their fault if the bios flash causes a problem. When I saw that I thought to myself, damn I better follow this exactly just to make sure I do it right. So I check every step multiple times to make sure I was doing it exactly right and this happens. So freaking PO'd right now, already had to RMA a faulty MOBO and now this happens. I'll never get the damn rig finished.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I cannot. I could maybe if I put in a different card but with this one it won't post. On my crosshair iv it shows a red light for each component during post and right now it just hangs on VGA and it remains lit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy O View Post
I had no problems flashing mine. I think there is a way to reset it.
Figures, just my luck.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nwallman View Post
No I cannot. I could maybe if I put in a different card but with this one it won't post. On my crosshair iv it shows a red light for each component during post and right now it just hangs on VGA and it remains lit.
Yeah try with a different card as the primary, it's likely bricked.

Dual gpu cards are tricky since they have dual bios.

Was this an auto flash, or manual?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I was about to say reset CMOS...until i saw GFX card.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy O View Post
I had no problems flashing mine. I think there is a way to reset it.
yeah you have to put in a gpu (has to be ATI as yours is ATI) and reflash it that way.

as to HOW i really cant tell you as ive never had to do it. and ive forgotten the steps

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Manual. I had to make bootable flash drive and put the files on there. Then boot to it and execute a bat file to do the flash. At the end it says something like "Restart to finish the flash (paraphrasing)".

I think I'm going to go with the safe route and just return the damn thing. Of course that still leaves me the problem of getting the new BIOS on the replacement card. All I wan't is freaking fan control!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xP_0nex View Post
What was the reason to flash the bios? Revised fan speed?
Yes. I'd like to setup a manual fan control profile in Afterburner to keep my temps down better. After this though I might just live with auto and not OC the card much.

EDIT: And I don't have a second ATI card laying around...

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Manual. I had to make bootable flash drive and put the files on there. Then boot to it and execute a bat file to do the flash. At the end it says something like "Restart to finish the flash (paraphrasing)".

I think I'm going to go with the safe route and just return the damn thing. Of course that still leaves me the problem of getting the new BIOS on the replacement card. All I wan't is freaking fan control!
What commands did you use?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only command it said to use was "flash" because the bootable flash drive had a 'flash.bat' file I believe.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

The only command it said to use was "flash" because the bootable flash drive had a 'flash.bat' file I believe.
So it was auto.
I prefer manual flashing.

Try a different primary card, leave the 5970 installed though.
See what Windows makes of the 5970, errors in device manager.

EDIT> You don't need a second ATI card if you're using W7.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll see if I can find another card laying around to test it. I'm leaning towards just sending it back. I just hope this didn't break anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts