Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been itching to build a new computer mainly for the sake of building one. However, I've been out of the computer scene since the GTX 780s came out which was my last upgrade. I'm looking at the GTX 980s mainly because they have HDMI 2.0 so I can use it with my TV, but I don't want to just upgrade my video cards again.

At the same time I don't want to build a new computer from the ground up if there's a major change in tech around the corner. Should I wait or would I be safe for another 3 years if I build now?

·
Registered
247 Posts
No IMO it is not a good time to build a new computer. New GPU is coming in the next 2 quaters and it is supposed to be faster than the GTX 980 and I bet it would come with HDMI 2.0 too.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,746 Posts
Now as is good of time as any... because there will always be new tech just a few quarters away
thumb.gif

HOWEVER, with the specs you have listed for your rig it would not be a wise decision or worth it.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Your setup is great! There's nothing at the moment worth upgrading to. 4k doesn't quite have a solid GPU solution yet and your RIG is more than capable of maxing out your 1080p 144 hz monitor. I'd say your good for 1440p too if you desired.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I just got the ROG Swift monitor. I haven't set it up yet but I don't think my rig will have problems running it. I know the old saying about computer tech being obsolete in 6 months and that there's never really a point in a waiting, but the processors out right now just seem so "meh". I'd really like to jump up to DD4 though, but I guess I'll just wait until the maxwell refresh.

Any idea when the next line of CPUs are coming out?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
That's the ONLY problem with Sandy bridge CPU's... If you like to upgrade frequently but only when justified, you can't lol. Sandy bridge is legendary! The 2500k and especially the 2600k will last a very long time.

I'd bet that they will still work just fine 4 years from now. Regardless of our current 16 thread behemoth intel X99 CPU's.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNcontroL View Post

Hey everyone,

I've been itching to build a new computer mainly for the sake of building one. However, I've been out of the computer scene since the GTX 780s came out which was my last upgrade. I'm looking at the GTX 980s mainly because they have HDMI 2.0 so I can use it with my TV, but I don't want to just upgrade my video cards again.

At the same time I don't want to build a new computer from the ground up if there's a major change in tech around the corner. Should I wait or would I be safe for another 3 years if I build now?
The ONLY thing that can be slightly improved is the SSD.

I know the max iops edition of the vertex 3 was not bad. I still have one myself. But I still do not trust OCZ drives.

A larger samsung 850 pro would be a nice way to make more breathing room on your computer.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Based on your current stats in the sig rig it does not seem to be particularly worthwhile to upgrade what you have currently.

If you are itching to build a new rig (emotion I can quite understand) I would suggest instead building a steambox for streaming picture from your main rig to the TV if you into that kind of stuff. It would be challenge to get that rig as small and low power and perhaps cheap as possible but still maintain good performance in all the right places. Or you could save few months more to grab one of the next gen 4k screens when they release with g-syn/a-sync sometime next year. Or save for rift consumer version release which should be also very interesting toy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

The ONLY thing that can be slightly improved is the SSD.

I know the max iops edition of the vertex 3 was not bad. I still have one myself. But I still do not trust OCZ drives.

A larger samsung 850 pro would be a nice way to make more breathing room on your computer.
It's ironic that while I haven't updated my sig rig in the last few months I actually did upgrade my SSD a while back to a 500 GB Samsung 840 Pro. I use the Vertex 3 as a Skyrim SSD
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

Based on your current stats in the sig rig it does not seem to be particularly worthwhile to upgrade what you have currently.

If you are itching to build a new rig (emotion I can quite understand) I would suggest instead building a steambox for streaming picture from your main rig to the TV if you into that kind of stuff. It would be challenge to get that rig as small and low power and perhaps cheap as possible but still maintain good performance in all the right places. Or you could save few months more to grab one of the next gen 4k screens when they release with g-syn/a-sync sometime next year. Or save for rift consumer version release which should be also very interesting toy.
My TV is connected to my main rig right now. I have a strange setup (One wall has my TV mounted and the other has my 2 monitors mounted), so I don't really need a steam box.

My only concern is whether or not I'm gonna be bottle necked by my processor with an upgrade to the 980s or the next maxwell refresh. The processors out now don't seem like a big enough upgrade to justify the cost especially with being OC'd at 4.7 Ghz. I really want the DD4 memory, but I was hoping for one massive upgrade since I'd need a new motherboard.

I also wanted to go all out and water cool my entire system this time. The urge to upgrade is driving me crazy. Guess I should just wait another 6 months or a year.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I highly doubt that you will encounter any meaningful enough bottleneck with your CPU/Mobo which would not be there if you upgrade in a way that you could actually feel. Even if you would go for the LGA2011 platform.

As far as DDR4 goes it will be few years before that one makes sense. The main benefit there is power savings but the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 power consumption is pretty much negligible for a desktop system, especially if any kind of overclocking is involved. Just too high cost atm per stick in combination of having strictly one stick per channel and not enough performance difference against current DDR3.

If you DO decide to do one massive upgrade I would suggest going with LGA2011 - the bottom end i7 price in there is the same or cheaper than "k" i7's on the mainstream lineup and the mobo price is in the same ballpark as the top end regular socket offerings. While for the same price you would get entry level LGA2011 mobo it could have properties not present on the common socket mobos, most notable of these being the higher number of available PCIe lanes. For all practical purtposes though you will not feel any different even there than you do on your current platfrom. I switched a little while ago from AMD 1055T at 3.9 GHz to i7-3820 at 4.5 GHz and I do not feel any difference (other than the higher amount of RAM why I upgraded). Although ofc in the benchmarks I can see the difference. But gaming, working, browsing, etc .. the system feel and snappiness was exactly the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts