Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am sick and tired of all the issue I have with my Creative X-Fi Fatality and I just uninstalled it from my PC.

I am not a heavy gamer and I play occasionaly to BF2142, command & conquer, half life.

I'm listening to music while working on the PC too. I have a Z-680 logitech speaker setup.

I'm not very up to date and knowledgable on PC sound card hardware.

With the death of DirectSound on Vista and Alchemy not supporting all games, it seems that sound hardware acceleration is getting obsolete.

so in your opinion, is a good sound card still a "requirement" or onboard sound is "good enough" for my type of usage?

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
could you tell us what issues you are having with it? My X-Fi works perfectly in those 3 games. Let's not think about going back to onbaord without trying to fix it

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
The best thing you can do is to try it yourself.

Sound is a highly subjective thing.
+1

People get caught up in what is supposed to be good etc. All that matters is you, if you are happy with onboard then stick with it, no need in spending money unecessarily.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Unless you are some sort of Audiophile, with high-range speakers or headphones, then I doubt you will notice much difference. I currently use the ADI 1988B chipset on my P5K-E and never had a problem with audio quality.. I just make sure to disable all sorts of DSP or bass enhancement for best clarity. As the second post said, sound quality is highly subjective per individual, so just compare it yourself and see what works best.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
It is indeed subjective, but I do notice a world of difference with my Xtreme Music and my Klipsch Pro Medias.

If it works for you just fine without any hardware acceleration then I would try sticking with it if it bothers you that much with the x-fi drivers, etc.

Lastly, you could try another card line that is supported.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outcasst View Post
could you tell us what issues you are having with it? My X-Fi works perfectly in those 3 games. Let's not think about going back to onbaord without trying to fix it
Most of the issue I had were with BF2142 but in summary:

-Could not get the line-2/mic-2 input (on the I/O drive) to work at all in Vista (not only in BF2142)

-I am having game crashes (systematic in BF2142) when a USB sound device is present like the microphone on my web cam. This does not happen when using the onboard sound. only happen when the creative X-Fi is installed so it seems to be an issue in the x-fi drivers.

-could not enable the X-Fi mode in BF2142... it would crash the game always.

-sometimes I boot the computer and all sounds are distorded/inaudible. I have to reboot.

believe, I spent lots of hours searching, reading, reinstalling Vista, updating drivers, etc and I never found a solution to these issues.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ View Post
+1

People get caught up in what is supposed to be good etc. All that matters is you, if you are happy with onboard then stick with it, no need in spending money unecessarily.

Yeah I am well aware of that as I tend to be on the audiophile side in my music listening room. But I dont care as much on my PC.

As I mentionned, I'm not up to date on PC sound hardware and was wondering was were people opinion on "on board" sound.

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
-Could not get the line-2/mic-2 input (on the I/O drive) to work at all in Vista (not only in BF2142)

I have the same sound card and it sounds much better than the onboard I used for a month.

I couldn't get the line-2/mic-2 input to work on the I/O drive in XP either. I just plug my mic and headphones on the back of the card.

As for the problems with BF2142 I would be putting the blame on EA/Dice before the x-fi. The battlefield games are extremely buggy in my experience.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiloh
View Post

Most of the issue I had were with BF2142 but in summary:

Did you make sure they were unmuted?

-I am having game crashes (systematic in BF2142) when a USB sound device is present like the microphone on my web cam. This does not happen when using the onboard sound. only happen when the creative X-Fi is installed so it seems to be an issue in the x-fi drivers.
Why not just get a 3.5mm microphone? I'm sure you can find a desk-stand type cheap.

-could not enable the X-Fi mode in BF2142... it would crash the game always.

-sometimes I boot the computer and all sounds are distorded/inaudible. I have to reboot.
I would try upgrading / downgrading the drivers and see if that helps at all.

believe, I spent lots of hours searching, reading, reinstalling Vista, updating drivers, etc and I never found a solution to these issues.

Good luck getting it working, if you feel like it.
In my opinion, a sound card is absolutly necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I'm going to agree with sound being very subjective, BUT:

I just installed the HT Omega striker and moved from an old set of dell speakers to some HD-201's.

The difference in sound quality is absolutely breathtaking.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,072 Posts
The simple answer is yes, on-board is "good enough". Of course it isn't as good as a decent sound card, but it does work. On-board sound has been improving since the AC '97 days, and the differences aren't as obvious as they used to be. I'd still recommend that you keep trying to fix the x-fi issues before you give up, but ditching it for on-board won't be the end of the world.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

Good luck getting it working, if you feel like it.
In my opinion, a sound card is absolutly necessary.

I tried all you suggested in the past (for the USB web cam issue, I simply leave it unplugged unless I need it) without success.

are the more recent products from creative have better drivers than my X-Fi Fatality?

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

+1

+REP
exactly what I was going to say

~B~

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I think of a sound card as a PSU for my speakers. If you have enough juice, then you are good to go.

My Z-5500's definitely need a dedicated sound card to get the most out of them. Onboard sound just sounds under-powered and the ranges seem a lot closer together.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiloh
View Post

I tried all you suggested in the past (for the USB web cam issue, I simply leave it unplugged unless I need it) without success.

are the more recent products from creative have better drivers than my X-Fi Fatality?

There are updated drivers for your card but what you have is still a great sounding card. Latest drivers:

http://support.creative.com/Products...=X-Fi+Fatal1ty

latest driver version is SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0008.exe

·
Registered
987 Posts
Before i built this gaming machine, I had a Dual X2 Amd with Intel HD onboard sound.

And all in all, I was actually impressed with the onboard sound. Has plenty of features (way more then my x-fi software), easy management of mics and speakers and what not.

While I haven't had any sound problems with my X-fi, i have other issues, like figuring out how to turn the Mic/line in to mic only. And even though i don't have a front panel, (and Creative isn't nice enough to provided a pin out for it), it only at first wanted a mic connected to it that way.

Personally I think Creative Labs is like MS. Since they don't really have much competition, they just sit on their assess and make as much money as they can, instead of spending a little time to make sure their hardware and software is the best it can be.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The reason you can't select X-Fi mode in BF2142 in Vista is because Vista uses a different sound API. X-fi in BF is the equivalent of checking an option for EAX 5, but Vista has no native support for EAX at all. You can try using the ALchemy program to trick the battlefields into running with EAX, but generally it's not going to happen.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by h33b
View Post

The reason you can't select X-Fi mode in BF2142 in Vista is because Vista uses a different sound API. X-fi in BF is the equivalent of checking an option for EAX 5, but Vista has no native support for EAX at all. You can try using the ALchemy program to trick the battlefields into running with EAX, but generally it's not going to happen.

Works for me without ALchemy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts