Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to do this a long time ago so i am familiar with some aspects but there is too much in the bios i am not familiar with so i figured i would ask for help.
for what its worth, when i searched google for overclocking, this site had the easiest and fastest registration.

i am wondering if overclocking this cpu will yield better results than this auto turbo stuff it comes with turned on.
my house temp is 72, arkansas, 40-60 humidity in summer. the room is probably 73.

i5 9600K
16G Ballistix 3200
z390 gaming x motherboard
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
tp-750ah3ccg-b TT Toughpower 750 Gold
LIAN LI Lancool One Digital
noctua nh-u12s i believe

here is a pic of cpuz and temps at idle.
during serious sam 3 (new release) on mostly ultra 2k res, temps were staying around 40C, card was around 70C

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Are you willing to spend 5 hours to make your CPU 15% faster (and slightly hotter and louder) under load? Because that's about how long it will take to get it dialed in.

You are leaving performance on the table, but unless you really need it or you're just interested to learn how to configure this stuff, then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This typically goes against the grain of this forum. Its called overclock.net. I would definitely invest some time in understanding how to overclock your K series processor from within the bios. I have overclocked every single one of my K series processors, right the way from 2500K to my current 9900K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you willing to spend 5 hours to make your CPU 15% faster (and slightly hotter and louder) under load? Because that's about how long it will take to get it dialed in.

You are leaving performance on the table, but unless you really need it or you're just interested to learn how to configure this stuff, then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
thats kinda what i figured, thanks

·
100+ fps
2,493 Posts
Yes aim for 5 GHz

·
LTSC for life crew
3,749 Posts
thats kinda what i figured, thanks
On the plus side you have a really common modern CPU so there is lots of information available to kick start the overclocking. For some people it's a lot of fun to experiment and get the system perfectly dialed in. For others it's all about pure performance. Both ways of looking at things are well represented here on the forum.

Also the PKP Pecheneg is one of my long time favs. In most any shooter game I've played. Would probably be a ton of fun to shoot at the range in real life too lol.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,314 Posts
Well with a 60% OC on a 109080XE Id say yes but if you really want to get a decent OC its not going to happen on air. Need custom loop. Heat is the barrier. Keep it cool and it will perform. You don't want to go past the 70s for temps although some run them until they fry.

·
100+ fps
2,493 Posts
Tjmax is a thing, a chip can easily withstand much higher temps than 70c, temps are not what kills chips, voltages is killing chips, and we are talking about alot of voltage like 1.45-1.5, a voltage like that, will degrade the chip faster or even fry it depending on motherboard VRM / spikes.

I would be fine running a CPU or GPU at 80-90c load, on a CPU, even spikes to 100c during burn-in is acceptable. As long as it's rock solid and voltage is within reason, it will be fine. It will crash or lock up if there's a problem, you will know.

My 2600K ran 6 years at 1.4v at 5 GHz with temps hitting 90 on hottest cores and the chip still runs flawlessly, at same OC, in my cousins PC. Hitting 10 years soon.

Look for stability, keep temps below 100 (spikes), avg. temps across cores during burn-in should be 80-90, it's fine. Tjmax for most newer Intel chips is 100-110 can even be 115c (again this is spikes, not avg. with spikes even higher than this number)

OCCT is a great tool to test for stability and you can put in a chosen value which the burn-in should stop, for example 100c. When a core hits 100c, test stop. This works perfect.

·
Registered
504 Posts
To OC or to not OC, that is the question. If you are on this site, you probably know the answer... it's yes. There is a ton of info out there on your cpu and probably on your cpu/mb combo for OCing. Read up and give it a shot. If anything its fun to see what your hardware can do. If you get stuck and need assistance, then ask for help here.
If you wanna be lazy and OC, just turn on MCE in your bios.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Generally speaking, if your GPU runs at or very close to 100% when gaming, there is no real need to overclock your CPU. If GPU usage is in the 90%-95% usage or lower, then overclocking your CPU may net you better gaming performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts