Overclock.net banner

Is something wrong with my Intel E7400?

4759 32
Hello all.

I'm having a issue with my E7400, I don't know why its running so hot, or if the temp its running at is normal?

I'm still very new to over-clocking and just built myself a new pc.
I'm running everything with stock coolers.

I've over-clocked the E7400 to 3Ghz. with 286fsb, it runs at 35°C idle, and under a stress test in prime95, it hits 57°C-60°C

The Voltage is set to auto in the bios, so when idle its at 1.264V, and under stress, 1.272V.

I tried over clocking it to 3.5, at 333fsb (3.5ghz) and its idle temp was around 33C and under stress it reached 66C.

But i wanted to know 2 things:

1. I use the asus AI tools that controls the fan speed and shows load and temps, and that's what i been using to monitor temps, since its a asus board. But when i look at the temps with "real temp" or "core temp" they are about 10C higher. so which one should i trust?

2. what is the "safe" temp range for this processor, and what is its maximum? since I'm still new to over-clocking i dont know what's safe and what's not, since the processor doesn't tell me.

Any help is welcomed, and since i have only changed the fsb speed. i'm not sure if i must change anything else.
  • Rep+
Reactions: Verrater
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
I am running an e7400 on stock cooling for the moment. I have a zalman CNPS9700 on the way and will be using artic silver. I am also probally going to lap my cpu and heatsink. My temps right now are 33 33 at idle and will get into the high 60's while running cpuburn-in. Intel says 74c is the max. I wouldn't go above 70c. That is why I went ahead and sprung for the new gear on the way.

· Registered
299 Posts
Phinix do you know what the VID of your chip is? I am trying to figure out what mine is but am having no luck since i'm running Linux

· Registered
299 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Here is a question. If we set our bios to default then reboot and check the vcore in bios will this be the VID?

· Registered
299 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughard View Post
Phinix do you know what the VID of your chip is? I am trying to figure out what mine is but am having no luck since i'm running Linux
/proc/cpuinfo doesn't give that info?

Also I read a while back that DangerousHobo was writing a program that was similar to cpu-z for linux.

http://www.overclock.net/member.php?u=16486

have have read the thread about dangeroushobo

I have installed perlmon but it doesn't tell you VID
/proc/cpuinfo is blank in my system
maybe I don't know how to use it?

· Registered
299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshoots
View Post

i have a e7400 and i out the heatsink in but i havent overclocked it at all because my msi p7n diamond has a feature which is d.o.t ....dynamic overclocking technology. which means when it reads im running a program lets say crysis. it realize it stress level and over clocks it to the right frequency...but i just built my pc and when i turn it on. i have hardrive that has vista on it form my old comp. cuz i dont have my os dis. but for some reason it will finish the loading tihing when i start my cmputer but then it goes to a blue error screen and then restarts....i also get a real hot cpu..I cant even touch it its so hot....and then everytime i turn it on it will alll of a sudden shut down aoutomaticly.....is it becuz my cpu is falty or its to hot and it shuts down automaticly or is it becuz i need to reinstall a new os

What are your system specs and what setting do you have in your bios. If you post these it will be easier for everyone to help you.

What heat sink are you using? What thermal paste are you using?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.