Overclock.net banner

Is something wrong with my PC?

320 14
Long story short for months I've been trying to figure out why I encounter this problem. It doesn't occur for all games but for Black Desert and H1Z1 and some maps on CSGO I encounter this horrible flicker/shimmer vibration of shadows.
This is not my video but it's the exact problem I face in Black Desert.

[youtube]Here is the problem I'm facing. It's not my video but I'm happy I found it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k01f8iG-EQ8[/youtube]

I've tried forcing settings via nivida control panel but it makes no difference whatsoever. What should I do?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
84,195 Posts
It looks like this is due to something called "z fighting". Based on my brief research of what z fighting is, it sounds to me like when you see this, it's just the way the game is and it would be up to the developer to fix it. Have you found anyone who doesn't see this in this game?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

It looks like this is due to something called "z fighting". Based on my brief research of what z fighting is, it sounds to me like when you see this, it's just the way the game is and it would be up to the developer to fix it. Have you found anyone who doesn't see this in this game?
I've asked so many people. For example I go around on twitch streams asking if their textures flicker and they always say no, so I automatically assumed it's my PC and I have a problem. Why would they say no when it clearly exists for them too?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
84,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzon View Post

I've asked so many people. For example I go around on twitch streams asking if their textures flicker and they always say no, so I automatically assumed it's my PC and I have a problem. Why would they say no when it clearly exists for them too?
Maybe they didn't notice. A lot of people will just play a game and never notice things like this because they're far more focused on playing the game.

They might also not know what you mean, so they don't know what to look for.

Some people too might see these things and not even realize it's a problem - like, they really couldn't care less. Then if you ask them, they might be completely clueless as to what you're talking about.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Maybe they didn't notice. A lot of people will just play a game and never notice things like this because they're far more focused on playing the game.

They might also not know what you mean, so they don't know what to look for.

Some people too might see these things and not even realize it's a problem - like, they really couldn't care less. Then if you ask them, they might be completely clueless as to what you're talking about.
I have a really bad problem when it comes to gaming. I always want the best graphics, I'm a whore. So when **** like this happens it really bugs me. I can't believe games are like this in 2017, am I really this much of a ***** or do I have a right to complain? I mean the game looks like complete **** when I play it because of this.
Also I thought I had a computer problem because for games such as Overwatch and BF1 where this problem doesn't exist, I have another problem, BF1 and Overwatch seem a little blurry so I thought it was related and something is broken.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
84,195 Posts
Quote:

I have a really bad problem when it comes to gaming. I always want the best graphics, I'm a whore. So when **** like this happens it really bugs me. I can't believe games are like this in 2017, am I really this much of a ***** or do I have a right to complain? I mean the game looks like complete **** when I play it because of this.
Also I thought I had a computer problem because for games such as Overwatch and BF1 where this problem doesn't exist, I have another problem, BF1 and Overwatch seem a little blurry so I thought it was related and something is broken.
Yeah, I know. Believe me, I'm the same way. I know. I truly get it. I hate it too, but what can we do? Should we tell our favorite game developers to go independent so that they aren't rushed by money-hungry cold-hearted publishers who breathe down their necks telling them to release the game on a specific date regardless of how much work they still have to do? Should we all demand our favorite game developers go to places like Kickstarter instead so that they can actually take the time needed to avoid these kinds of lame problems and so that they can be completely on their own so that they can do everything the way it should be done?

I would bet good money the people who worked on this game know about this problem and aren't happy with it at all and would probably say their hands are tied. Sometimes these damn publishers just don't care. Look at Crysis 2 and how rushed that game was and look at how bad it turned out to be because of it. I'm sure you can think of lots of other games that were rushed just to satisfy the greedy publisher's advertised release date. To some of these greedy publishers, crap like this is good enough. To a passionate game developer who only cares about doing the highest quality work, this is unacceptable and they would want more time to fix it. It seems these publishers try to release games at specific times of the year for maximizing their sales. All they care about is making gobs and gobs of money.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Yeah, I know. Believe me, I'm the same way. I know. I truly get it. I hate it too, but what can we do? Should we tell our favorite game developers to go independent so that they aren't rushed by money-hungry cold-hearted publishers who breathe down their necks telling them to release the game on a specific date regardless of how much work they still have to do? Should we all demand our favorite game developers go to places like Kickstarter instead so that they can actually take the time needed to avoid these kinds of lame problems and so that they can be completely on their own so that they can do everything the way it should be done?

I would bet good money the people who worked on this game know about this problem and aren't happy with it at all and would probably say their hands are tied. Sometimes these damn publishers just don't care. Look at Crysis 2 and how rushed that game was and look at how bad it turned out to be because of it. I'm sure you can think of lots of other games that were rushed just to satisfy the greedy publisher's advertised release date. To some of these greedy publishers, crap like this is good enough. To a passionate game developer who only cares about doing the highest quality work, this is unacceptable and they would want more time to fix it. It seems these publishers try to release games at specific times of the year for maximizing their sales. All they care about is making gobs and gobs of money.
yeah the main reason I'm mad now is because I've been back and forth with their support via email for weeks now. The fact they constantly give me a silly suggestion which I've already told them beforehand I've tried just makes me irritated. 3 days I waited and they asked me if I turned down my graphics. Like really, lmao? I've tried every possible solution ever. Only to find out it's actually their game engine. At least I feel somewhat better now that it's the game and not my PC.
smile.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
84,195 Posts
Quote:

yeah the main reason I'm mad now is because I've been back and forth with their support via email for weeks now. The fact they constantly give me a silly suggestion which I've already told them beforehand I've tried just makes me irritated. 3 days I waited and they asked me if I turned down my graphics. Like really, lmao? I've tried every possible solution ever. Only to find out it's actually their game engine. At least I feel somewhat better now that it's the game and not my PC.
smile.gif
Yep. It's extremely stupid, but unfortunately it's just the way it is and for this reason, some developers are going independent and getting their funding from the community through crowdfunding like Kickstarter and other similar places like that instead of dealing with some jerk-ass publisher who couldn't possibly care less about how much more time the developer wants to finish the game.

I'm currently learning what the difference is when a developer doesn't have a greedy publisher breathing down their necks - that is, when they are free to take all the time that they need to produce the highest quality work that they want to produce by using something like Kickstarter. Do you remember the game Descent? Or really, do you remember the game developer named Parallax Software? That team is back (and with a few new people who do extremely high-quality work), and now they're called Revival Productions and they're making a spiritual successor to Descent and they're calling it Overload! http://playoverload.com They have been wanting to make another game like this for the past ~20 years!

I participated in funding them for this through Kickstarter and I've been following them pretty much on their heels since the first day. Well so far, the work they are doing is absolutely 2nd to none. It's amazingly high in quality and extremely polished - and they're still months away from being able to release the finished product (or so they are estimating). That's another thing, they don't have to worry about being done by a certain date. All they have to do is work on it until it's done and they give an estimate as to when they think they will finish based on their current rate of progress (and their experience with past projects). Well, lol, a piece of art is never truly finished, but you do reach a point when you're working on something that you can declare it finished even though you know you could keep doing more and more to it for the next several years! lol

More can be said, but I'm sure this is enough. I guess what I'm saying is, I think the solution may be to have a future where all games are funded by crowdfunding and game developers are independent.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Yep. It's extremely stupid, but unfortunately it's just the way it is and for this reason, some developers are going independent and getting their funding from the community through crowdfunding like Kickstarter and other similar places like that instead of dealing with some jerk-ass publisher who couldn't possibly care less about how much more time the developer wants to finish the game.

I'm currently learning what the difference is when a developer doesn't have a greedy publisher breathing down their necks - that is, when they are free to take all the time that they need to produce the highest quality work that they want to produce by using something like Kickstarter. Do you remember the game Descent? Or really, do you remember the game developer named Parallax Software? That team is back (and with a few new people who do extremely high-quality work), and now they're called Revival Productions and they're making a spiritual successor to Descent and they're calling it Overload! http://playoverload.com They have been wanting to make another game like this for the past ~20 years!

I participated in funding them for this through Kickstarter and I've been following them pretty much on their heels since the first day. Well so far, the work they are doing is absolutely 2nd to none. It's amazingly high in quality and extremely polished - and they're still months away from being able to release the finished product (or so they are estimating). That's another thing, they don't have to worry about being done by a certain date. All they have to do is work on it until it's done and they give an estimate as to when they think they will finish based on their current rate of progress (and their experience with past projects). Well, lol, a piece of art is never truly finished, but you do reach a point when you're working on something that you can declare it finished even though you know you could keep doing more and more to it for the next several years! lol

More can be said, but I'm sure this is enough. I guess what I'm saying is, I think the solution may be to have a future where all games are funded by crowdfunding and game developers are independent.
Looks like an interesting concept. I followed them on Twitter.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
7,000 Posts

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
7,000 Posts
Quote:

Is this like SweetFX? I tried to get that working before, was so complicated so I gave up.
Yeah but they made it easier to get working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.