Hey guys, I've built a new gaming system recently and these are the specs:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card
EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case

However there seem to be something wrong with the temperature as it's unusually high, I'm not sure whether there's something wrong with my processor or not. Basically after turning my computer on and let it sit idle for 5 minutes, while monitoring using the tool HWMonitor PRO. The temperature for the CPU frequently hits 39°C, occasionally even spikes up to 50°C for a second. This is when I'm using Balanced power profile while doing absolutely nothing!

Also I've tested it in a military simulator game while running an intense large scale battle, the temperature frequently stays at 79°C. This is while using the High Performance power profile. Switching XMP on or off in BIOS doesn't seem to change anything.

Is this normal for this processor or is something definitely wrong? I'm all new to system building and this is the first one I've ever built. Should I run other benchmarks or stress tests to provide better results, if so which one should I use? And this is for all components as well not just the CPU. I've heard about Prime95 a lot but it seems to intentionally run at really high temperatures, is it safe to do so?

I'm really lost at the moment and don't know what to do since everything seems so overwhelming, so would really appreciate any help you guys can provide!

Best Regards,

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
That's only slightly high, my work computer has a 4790K and runs around the same temps.

It's that stock Intel cooler. It's just not up to snuff. I'd suggest spending $20 on a basic Arctic Cooling unit or equivalent (Or you can always go a bit more heavy duty)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply man, really appreciate it!

Sorry I forgot to mention this previously, yeah I'm running the intel stock cooler.
However those temperatures I've posted above are for the system when it's NOT
overclocked at all.

Is this high degree of heat normal for non overclocked system? Just reached 87°C
while testing around in ArmA 3...

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
You should see the temps a stock 1366 hex core reaches with the stock cooler at 3.47GHz. you're doing just fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ehh guys, I really don't know how to say this. So I've removed the whole middle HDD cage from my system, hoping to allow better airflow
from the front to blow directly onto the mobo. Switched the fans from 7V to 12V with the fan controller that my case have.
And all the mobo setting at default with XMP off.

I've ran the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, while running its benchmark, it frequently hit 100°C, probably even off the chart too.
And when doing the CPU stress test, it hit above 90°C in just 2 min, and I had to stop the test.
While in idle mode it stays around 37°C with just 1% CPU utilization.

I'm not even sure what to do now, I'm afraid any other benchmarks will fry my system. Is this even normal with the stock cooler or something
definitely wrong?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've also tried to look at the temperature reading in my BIOS/UEFI.

My room temperature is just 19°C and after opening my motherboard BIOS/UEFI, After 5 min it shows the CPU temp to be 55°C while the M/B is 35°C

I don't even know what to think of it now, either the sensor is being whacky or something seriously wrong with my system...

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
You're running a 90W TDP part on a cooler that is only meant to handle about 90W tops. While the stock cooler can keep a stock 4790k cool enough to run, it's not going to keep it "cool". You need a 140W TDP+ cooler like a good air cooler (NH-D14, PHTC-D12, etc.) or AIO watercooler. As far as the Intel Tuning Untility goes, I've never used it but I'm assuming it stresses AVX which is a no-no for temperature testing Haswell as it increases the voltage by .1-.2 thus increasing temps to levels you will never see in real world usage.

It is normal for CPU temps to be higher in the bios than at idle. Intel CPUs unlike AMD CPUs are safe to run up to 100c. Though not really recommended.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapRef41N93W View Post

You're running a 90W TDP part on a cooler that is only meant to handle about 90W tops. While the stock cooler can keep a stock 4790k cool enough to run, it's not going to keep it "cool". You need a 140W TDP+ cooler like a good air cooler (NH-D14, PHTC-D12, etc.) or AIO watercooler. As far as the Intel Tuning Untility goes, I've never used it but I'm assuming it stresses AVX which is a no-no for temperature testing Haswell as it increases the voltage by .1-.2 thus increasing temps to levels you will never see in real world usage.

It is normal for CPU temps to be higher in the bios than at idle. Intel CPUs unlike AMD CPUs are safe to run up to 100c. Though not really recommended.
Got to Agree with you there! Don't do any stress testing on a stock cooler as it's really not ment to handle that load. I say get an actual cpu cooler

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, thank you so much for all your replies. Looks like I'll be buying a new aftermarket cooler for the CPU.
smile.gif

And I'm looking into it right now.

Although some important questions beforehand:
Because I live in a backwater country called australia, with the nearest computer store being 50 minutes drive away.
I'm going to bring my computer case there and let the store staff assemble it for me. (since I really don't know how
and online delivery for the cooler isn't much cheaper anyway)

What I'm wondering is, because the store have some benchmarks, I'm going to let them run it for a few hours in store,
including FurMark, Prime95 and XTU. I'm wondering what sort of temperature should I expect after the aftermarket cooler
have been put on? Such as idle/load/peak temps for the different components with the different utilities.
(say if the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO was put on)

Since it's better to know beforehand and let any problems to be fixed in the store, than find something wrong and bring
the whole case back afterwards.

By the way does aftermarket coolers come with thermal paste or do I need to buy it separately?

Also should I purchase more case fans? I'm only using the default 2 that came with my case (Fractal Design Define R5),
which is 1 in 1 out. Do you guys recommend to buy more case fans as well to help with cooling?

Sorry for these questions if it sounds silly, this is my first time building a system and I'm literally learning everything
from scratch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also importantly, what are the differences between the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
and the Cooler Master Hyper 212X? Which one is better?

Since my store doesn't have the 212 EVO but only the 212X.

I've looked at this website:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/#qq=1&R=5,4&w=0&sort=d3&m=50

The 212 EVO seems to have crazy amount of good review compared to any other coolers on the market,
with 5 star rating. But the 212X only have 4 stars and not many bought it.

Does it mean the 212X is an inferior product compared to the 212 EVO? Funny that it also costs more.
I could try purchasing from other places online and have it delivered if the 212 EVO is a better product.

Also any other good ones that you guys wish to suggest?
smile.gif

Lastly this thing really have me worried, because I've ran some of those stressful benchmarks before and
frequently stayed above 100°C for several minutes, even off the chart. Have I damaged or reduced the
lifespan of my CPU or any other components in ANY way?

I'm really scared that I did something wrong which harmed my new system, since it really cost me a
fortune to buy it, been saving up for many years.

Thanks again for all your comments, really appreciate them!

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
On stock parameters, the CPU will either throttle down or shut off completely before you damage it from temperature. Don't worry about that. The killer of CPU's (and really, anything electronic) is voltage, and if the CPU is still at stock with no changes made to the BIOS, you can bet that voltage is also stock.

You will see a big difference on that 212 EVO. temperatures should plummit, and at stock, they should stay relatively low.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamselinDistres View Post

What about water cooling? Maybe an AIO unit like an h60? I see everyone else suggested air cooling ...maybe I'm missing something lol
H60 is a poor cooler and beaten by $25-$30 air coolers.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
You/they did remove the plastic foil between the processor and the cooler, right?
whistle.gif

But anyway... the stock cooler.... [fill in any dirty word you like
wink.gif
]

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see cooler talk but I dont see a solution as to WHY its so high? .. as someone suggested, check your stock Vcore!! for some reason my stock Vcore on turbo mode is at 1.38v which is very high and also had similar heating issues

Check Vcore!

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doba View Post

I see cooler talk but I dont see a solution as to WHY its so high? .. as someone suggested, check your stock Vcore!! for some reason my stock Vcore on turbo mode is at 1.38v which is very high and also had similar heating issues

Check Vcore!
you can't solve physics - it's not a "problem".

·
Registered
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak View Post

You/they did remove the plastic foil between the processor and the cooler, right?
whistle.gif

But anyway... the stock cooler.... [fill in any dirty word you like
wink.gif
]
That reminds me of a commercial where a guy serves some burgers straight from the grill, his wife takes a bite with this odd look on her face, talks with a mouthful asking, "Did you unwrap the cheese?"

He replies, "The cheese was wrapped?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak

The 212 EVO seems to have crazy amount of good review compared to any other coolers on the market,
with 5 star rating. But the 212X only have 4 stars and not many bought it.

I picked up CoolerMaster's Hyper 612 v2, which is a HUGE counterpart to the 212 EVO.

The EVO is a considerable improvement, especially due to the "continuous" direct contact heatpipe construction. The older units either had a solid block the heatpipes passed through, or they had separators of aluminium between each heatpipe as it touched the CPU.

I like the Hyper 612 v2, but I can tell it's way too large for most people's taste.

Now, frankly, the Intel stock heatsink is laughably inept. It has a steampunk look which makes me think it's going to gently swivel from left to right like a 1930's desk fan.

Your temps were actually good considering the stock HSF, and that includes the Intel test that hit 100c.

A 212 EVO will make that much better. My 612 came with some CoolMaster thermal paste, but thermal paste is often quite a personal choice. Many regard Artic Silver 5 as the best thing ever made, while others insist on Cooling Labs Pro (a substance that looks like mercury).

Real tests reveal that while there are some really bad pastes, most are within an incremental fraction of each other in performance. Toothpaste actually works, but it doesn't last. Chemical and physical stability of the compound matters. Also, NOT using too much is important.

No paste can make the stock cooler work. I don't think a 10,000 RPM fan could make it work. Most of us can't figure out why they even include it. It's inclusion gives the wrong impression, that it is somehow suitable. It will keep your CPU from catching fire, I'll give it that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts