Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a new Skylake build and the 950 Pro does look really tempting. It's the price that concerns me. I can get a SATA 3 480GB SSD for about $130 or I could get a 512GB 950 Pro SSD for $330. Will I really seen that much of an increase in performance in loading games. I don't do anything that really requires that many IOPS. Such as databases, VMs, or video encoding.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Save your money and spend it on other components if you honestly don't do anything that will benefit greatly from the iops and r/w speeds.

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywind View Post

I am looking to do a new Skylake build and the 950 Pro does look really tempting. It's the price that concerns me. I can get a SATA 3 480GB SSD for about $130 or I could get a 512GB 950 Pro SSD for $330. Will I really seen that much of an increase in performance in loading games. I don't do anything that really requires that many IOPS. Such as databases, VMs, or video encoding.
Very unlikely.

Actually, there are situations where it may even load slower.

https://techreport.com/review/29221/samsung-950-pro-512gb-ssd-reviewed/4

Boot times too are almost unaffected:

It is best to save your money and get a TLC SSD if you are not going to be doing anything too intensive. Most consumers will benefit the most from something with really good read benchmarks - [email protected] more than most other uses. .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts