Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering? Good overclocking ability? Good for gaming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
My e5200 is oced to 3.6 with 1.29vcore, could probably go higher but have no need. Haven't gamed with it since its in my folding rig but it should play games just fine. Only downside to it is small l2 cache, 2mb, not really that big a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Decent? Yes.

Would i buy it? No.

I would personally save for a Core 2 with a little more cache, the stock clocks arnt a big deal seeing as how it is a pretty decent OC'ing chip. The E6600 might serve you a bit better if you can afford it. I hear the E7200 is also fairly cheap.

But if you bought the E5200 i'm sure you will be fine as long as you aren't trying to play crysis or whatever.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
its a great chip for a guy on budget
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kyle659
View Post

My e5200 is oced to 3.6 with 1.29vcore, could probably go higher but have no need. Haven't gamed with it since its in my folding rig but it should play games just fine. Only downside to it is small l2 cache, 2mb, not really that big a deal.

Wow, is the 750i that good? And MSI?!? Maybe you just got a good batch.

I'm running 3.5GHz at 1.34V, its locked up on me once, but I think that was FC2's fault more than the CPU


Its great for gaming. Even at 2.5GHz its faster than a 3GHz+ AMD chip. If they were to release an E0 version of this chip we would see 4GHz almost guaranteed, albeit at a much lower FSB than it's bigger brothers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the 7200 would have more bang for the buck right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineRevenge View Post
Decent? Yes.

Would i buy it? No.

I would personally save for a Core 2 with a little more cache, the stock clocks arnt a big deal seeing as how it is a pretty decent OC'ing chip. The E6600 might serve you a bit better if you can afford it. I hear the E7200 is also fairly cheap.

But if you bought the E5200 i'm sure you will be fine as long as you aren't trying to play crysis or whatever.
Wrong.

e5200 is pretty decent chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
I'm probably going to throw an E5200 in a gift build this christmas.

The person using it really won't be gaming though, mostly just your basic surfing, Flash, e-mail type.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineRevenge View Post
Decent? Yes.

Would i buy it? No.

I would personally save for a Core 2 with a little more cache, the stock clocks arnt a big deal seeing as how it is a pretty decent OC'ing chip. The E6600 might serve you a bit better if you can afford it. I hear the E7200 is also fairly cheap.

But if you bought the E5200 i'm sure you will be fine as long as you aren't trying to play crysis or whatever.

the E2160 when OCed is a great chip for Crysis, especially given the price. i see no reason why the E5200 should fail to follow suit given the pedigree of the chip and its oc abilities, not to mention the fact that is a Penryn chip

go for it, for basic use it's fine, and for gaming it will shine when you overclock it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
^^ no offence but i think the e21xx is horrible for crysis,i haven't owned a better c2d so can't be sure but the way fps drops whenever there is anything cpu intensive in this game,the 1mb cache is to be blamed!!many times there is a momentray lag in AI situations that makes me mad.

i have it at 3.2 and still see no improvement from my 3870 in big battles with lots of AI,like in harbor level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so would a e8500 with nvidia 8800gt play crysis with no lag at 1280x740?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamervivek View Post
^^ no offence but i think the e21xx is horrible for crysis,i haven't owned a better c2d so can't be sure but the way fps drops whenever there is anything cpu intensive in this game,the 1mb cache is to be blamed!!many times there is a momentray lag in AI situations that makes me mad.

i have it at 3.2 and still see no improvement from my 3870 in big battles with lots of AI,like in harbor level.

Understand, it will be nice to go E8xxx but if the budget is around $80, e5200 is the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I was on a budget and bought the E5200 and I have to say I've been more than impressed to find it 'definitely decent'. I'm currently overclocked to 300 x 12.5 = 3.75 GHz at 1.280V in CPU-Z. I use it mostly for gaming with a factory overclocked 9800GT (725/1000) and it runs everything I've tried at 1680x1050 with no problems at all.

Ignore anyone who tells you to 'save up for a real Core 2' or that 'you can't play Crysis with it'. Don't let the words 'Pentium Dual Core' on the box fool you. I've been playing Crysis at stock speed (2.5 GHz) 1680x1050, All High, 2x AA perfectly fine.

If you have extra cash, look into as many other processors as you can. If you're on a budget, or just like to feel a knowing satisfaction from buying a cheap CPU and making it worth double its cost without breaking a sweat, go for the E5200. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the e7200 runs only $119 i think, thats within my budget for sure
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Donnie Walhberg
View Post

the e7200 runs only $119 i think, thats within my budget for sure

Is the extra $40 worth the extra 1mb L2 cache? (Not really IMO)

Had the e5200 been out before I puchased my e7200 I surely would have gotten one.

But, both are good chips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by gamervivek
View Post

^^ no offence but i think the e21xx is horrible for crysis,i haven't owned a better c2d so can't be sure but the way fps drops whenever there is anything cpu intensive in this game,the 1mb cache is to be blamed!!many times there is a momentray lag in AI situations that makes me mad.

i have it at 3.2 and still see no improvement from my 3870 in big battles with lots of AI,like in harbor level.


it's not.


32fps @ 1440x900 with 8800gts 320mb average.
high.

e2160 @ 2.0ghz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Quote:


Is the extra $40 worth the extra 1mb L2 cache? (Not really IMO)

For a gaming rig it just might be worth it.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top