Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm starting to think that instead of waiting for the 6xxx series that I should just go with an nvidia card now. My experience is scarred a little with ati because back when I had my 9800gtx+, I never had any problems, I never even noticed it was there. But with this pair of(now only one) 4770s, I had a bunch of issues and has left me thinking I would like to move back to nvidia.

So, I was thinking about going with the gtx 460, because I think that it is the only card that really has any resell value after the next series from nvidia comes out. However, I'm not sure if it has enough power for what I want.

Basically, I play a lot of tf2 and css, but I also like playing sc2, me1 & me2, dragon age, and a heavily modded version of oblivion with lots of textures and things thrown in. My 4770 stutters quite often and gets low frames while playing either sc2 or my oblivion. Oh, and I have to have at least 4 x AA while playing, I hate the way the games look otherwise.

Is the gtx 460 going to be enough(namely for the heavily modded oblivion) to play all of my games maxed out with AA? Would the 2gb version of the gtx 460 benefit me in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to include that I am running these all at 1080p.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The GTX 460 1GB is right for everyone. It's cheap, it runs super cool, has lower power consumption than the rest of fermi, and overclocking can even result in it performing better than a stock GTX 470.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went from a 9800GTX+ to a 460 this month and haven't regretted the purchase at all!

And, I JUST was able to overclock the core to 900MHz thanks to the folks here on this forum.

Just Cause 2 runs at minimum 46 FPS!

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys

I know this is a shot in the dark but has anyone tried a heavily modded version of oblivion with a gtx 460 1gb? This would really help me out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't know about a modded version, but I know my 260 was able to handle oblivion very well, ME 1/2, and DA:O with no problems, so a 460 will do even better.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daggerfist
View Post

I don't know about a modded version, but I know my 260 was able to handle oblivion very well, ME 1/2, and DA:O with no problems, so a 460 will do even better.

A heavily modded version is a whole different ball game, trust me.

With my 4770, I can max oblivion w/o the mods at 1080p and most of the time get at least 60fps. With the mods, I only get 10 fps in some parts. I think the modded version definitely needs a lot of vram power.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
I've been meaning to reinstall Oblivion + mods for some time so I'm doing it right now

I'll let you know how it runs later, I only have the full 2048x2048 pack and a few other texture mods, that pack is like 4.5gb though :l

EDIT: bleh, I just realised that texture pack is only skins
hopefully I have some more since I've almost reached my download cap and can't download anymore for a while..

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeforceGTS
View Post

I've been meaning to reinstall Oblivion + mods for some time so I'm doing it right now

I'll let you know how it runs later, I only have the full 2048x2048 pack and a few other texture mods, that pack is like 4.5gb though :l

Well, I pretty much run the the best of the best mods for oblivion. QTP III, Better cities, Distant landscapes, the whole nine yards. And I'm using the 4096x4096 pack

EDIT: Your dl cap? You know you can just download all that stuff from tesnexus. Just create a free account and you have access to all of their material.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsycoma
View Post

The GTX 460 1GB is right for everyone. It's cheap, it runs super cool, has lower power consumption than the rest of fermi, and overclocking can even result in it performing better than a stock GTX 470.

^^^ This except a GTX470 will continue to pull away if you overclock the 470 to the same percentage overclock.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxracing216
View Post

^^^ This except a GTX470 will continue to pull away if you overclock the 470 to the same percentage overclock.

True, but I don't really like the heat problem of the gf100. I live in arizona and I need something to stay as cool as possible. Even 80c max is not cool to me lol.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777
View Post

Well, I pretty much run the the best of the best mods for oblivion. QTP III, Better cities, Distant landscapes, the whole nine yards. And I'm using the 4096x4096 pack

EDIT: Your dl cap? You know you can just download all that stuff from tesnexus. Just create a free account and you have access to all of their material.

Yeah I used to run QTP, improved LOD's etc but I seem to have lost QTP
I'll have to download it tomorrow and by download limit I meant I have a 15gb limit per month from my ISP

I just started it up quickly with an old save and with some landscape LOD mods and I was getting around 80 FPS with all settings maxed and 4x AA.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

by download limit I meant I have a 15gb limit per month from my ISP

That, is lame.

Quote:

View Post

I just started it up quickly with an old save and with some landscape LOD mods and I was getting around 80 FPS with all settings maxed and 4x AA.

Nice

Maybe the gtx 460 is all I really need then. I kept thinking I needed some massively powerful gpu just to play it lol

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So does anyone else have anything to share before I make my decision?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Get a 460 now (I'm eyeing them as well) and then grab another. Two cards for $400 that outperform the 480.

I'm looking at upgrading to SLI'd 460s eventually. The price for performance ratio is unbeatable.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
With the HD6870 coming as soon as this month, I'd hold off to see some benchmarks and what effect it will have on pricing of the 460.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I ordered my gtx 460 on thursday. I asked a bunch of people on here what the better choice was and I was asking about the 5830 and the 5850 and people still said to go with the 460 even over the 465. So from what I have heard the gtx 460 is a really good card. Plus I heard the driver support for ati is not as good. But its all hear say from what I know. But newegg has some pretty good deals on the 460's right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts