Overclock.net banner

Is the Samsung Spinpoint the best 1TB HDD?

6705 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Mygaffer
It seems to be reveiwed very highly by a lot of people, but is it the best one? And is it the best HDD for the money($99)?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
I guess I was reading the wrong reviews. What do you think is the best 1TB HDD? And where is the best deal for it?
Look into seagate drives, they're generally more reliable in my experience
imo the WD 1TB black is the best. seagates have issues..
Quote:

Originally Posted by conductor609
View Post

Look into seagate drives, they're generally more reliable in my experience

Sorry I lol'd when I first saw this with all the threads about failing seagate firmware. They have new firmware now so they are fine. I have one with with the newer firmware and its been solid since
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha
View Post

imo the WD 1TB black is the best. the older seagates have issues..

Fixed that for you.

They fixed the newer ones now, I'm getting two 500Gb and putting them in RAID 0.

Surprisingly, costs less than a single 1Tb Hard Drive thanks to a sale on them.
See less See more
If I got 2 500 gig units, could I raid them together with the 320 hitachi I already have?
no.. only identical sizes. so the 2 500's you could use. and then the 320 could be your other drive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurricane.ditka
View Post

If I got 2 500 gig units, could I raid them together with the 320 hitachi I already have?

Depends on the Raid.
Only Raid 0 will work, but I think you need them to be the same brand, or maybe not. I don't remember.

You can raid 0 with different brands.
It is "ideal" or "better" if they are the same size though. It will perform with the lower specs.
See less See more
Don't know much about raid, but if I got a second or third HDD, I would want to. I just didn't know if you could hook up three of them on a RAID. Anyone know?
What raid are you referring to? With Raid 0 you can do as much as you want.

For some other raids, which i'm not too familar with, they have some requirements though.
You can RAID 0 whatever you want but I believe you will lose part of the larger drive if they're not the same size. I could be wrong there though.

Also, I don't know if I'd use RAID0 for storage. If you lose one drive in a RAID0 the whole array is shot.
I guess raid 0, but I don't know how to do it, if I need the same brand/size/speed, if I need extra hardware/software, etc...
Your motherboard should support it. THere are drivers for it.
Check your manual or soemthing.
I've only raided on my asus so I'm not sure about any other moterboards.
The configuration usually comes up when I press Control + I and I follow the intructions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclipse
View Post

Sorry I lol'd when I first saw this with all the threads about failing seagate firmware. They have new firmware now so they are fine. I have one with with the newer firmware and its been solid since

Hehe I had some reasoning behind this
, my friend has a pile of dead hdd's on his desk that people have brought him , they were all WD's that died from skipping read head or needle or whatever it is, only one of them was seagate and it was because the person dropped it
See less See more
Decided not to raid. It still seems like the samsung is the best one out there. Does anyone disagree? What do you think is the best 1TB out there?
Going by what I have read, the Western Digital WD1001FALS is the best one, unless you want to spend extra on their 1TB RAID Edition. I'd also be leery of Seagates, in terms of how many of the dodgy drives are still in the sales channels...
How about an external HDD? Are the 1TB hard drives any less reliable than internals? Are there any that are far and away better than the internal?
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc
View Post

no.. only identical sizes. so the 2 500's you could use. and then the 320 could be your other drive.

That is not true at all, he will just be limited to the size of the smallest drive.

Oh god, why did I have to practice necromancy?! Not technically illegal, but the Mages guild looks down on that sort of thing you know..
See less See more
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.