Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2x EVGA 7800GT 256MB GPU's in SLI.

Installed in 1st PCI-E x16 Slot @ x16
EVGA 256-P2-N517-AX

Installed in 2nd PCI-E x16 Slot @ x8
EVGA 256-P2-N518

If I swap these cards will the 256-P2-N517-AX sync the clock speeds down to that of the 256-P2-N518 making them both run at the same speeds in SLI? I am pretty sure that you are supposed to install the GPU with the lower clock speeds in slot 1 so that the 2nd GPU in slot 2 runs at the clock speeds of the first GPU.

I've rarely had some freezing during gaming and actually received a message that the display adapter driver stopped responding once.

Another option is maybe that I need to try different drivers? I am currently using 185.85. This is on a WinXP Home x86 OS BTW.

I'd appreciate any help with this issue!
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Display driver has stopped responding is vista issue i believe which ever card has the higher clocks will go to the other cards clocks if lower to be the same so doesn't matter. I'd run furmark individually on each card because it sounds like ones faulty i know when i was having the nvlddmkm.sys bsods and that same error you're getting i replaced my ram went through a huge ordeal only to later on test myself that one of the cards was faulty so that's what i would do if i were you run each one under furmark on both pci-e slots to also check that it isn't the slot that's defective.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

which ever card has the higher clocks will go to the other cards clocks if lower to be the same so doesn't matter.

So I don't necessarily have to install the card with the lower clocks in the first slot to get my 2nd card running at the same speeds?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Volker
View Post

So I don't necessarily have to install the card with the lower clocks in the first slot to get my 2nd card running at the same speeds?

No not that I'm aware of but you can check that with EVGA precision just to see what the default clock is while in SLI.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/EVGA-Pre...load-2251.html

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they are not doing that. I'm thinking I need to try different driver versions maybe?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

They're not setting to a certain speed? if so how are you checking?

GPUZ and now I just checked with EVGA Precision. How should I check?

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
7hm is right. The faster card's clocks will be automatically set to whatever the slower card is running at - regardless of which slot they're in (I'm pretty sure of this). Make sure you've run Driver Cleaner Pro and then installed the latest drivers. Then just use EVGA precision tool to set the clocks. It will synchronize them when in SLI mode. (Make sure you turn SLI to "enabled" in the nVidia control panel).

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just figured out how to sync them with EVGA Precision. Should I sync with the clock speeds of the slower card?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

View Post

GPUZ and now I just checked with EVGA Precision. How should I check?

Open up EVGA precision and see if the clocks of the slowest card are shown there if so that means they're fine. However like i said before this is normally card failure or driver issues so take Choggs396 and uninstall go into safe mode run driver sweeper then disk clean up or ccleaner and then go back into your os and install the drivers.

And they should be automatically synced and you can try sliding up the clocks to the faster one then using furmark to see if the overclock for the lower one is stable if so then you can keep em or go higher.
This is what it should look like

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I just figured out how to sync them with EVGA Precision. Should I sync with the clock speeds of the slower card?

If SLI is enabled (via nVidia Control Panel), when you overclock in Precision Tool it will automatically be setting those speeds on both cards.

EDIT: Hmm... I must be using an older version of EVGA Precision... it doesn't look like 7hm's screen shot. There isn't that little GPU 1/2 and Sync button on mine.

Sorry if I'm confusing you.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choggs396
View Post

If SLI is enabled (via nVidia Control Panel), when you overclock in Precision Tool it will automatically be setting those speeds on both cards.

EDIT: Hmm... I must be using an older version of EVGA Precision... it doesn't look like 7hm's screen shot. There isn't that little GPU 1/2 and Sync button on mine.

God man get the latest one

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay...I think I have the problem resolved. I sync both GPUs to the clocks of the lower one: 445 core and 1070 memory. EVGA Precision and GPUZ both confirm.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choggs396
View Post

As you can see mine looks exactly like his. So yes you are using an old version since i just downloaded it from their site today.

That was while i was in the process of OCing the shader/clock so that is why the ram is stock.

Now OC them

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JNielson
View Post

As you can see mine looks exactly like his. So yes you are using an old version since i just downloaded it from their site today.

That was while i was in the process of OCing the shader/clock so that is why the ram is stock.

Oh noez.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

God man get the latest one

Thanks, man!
I've been so busy lately I haven't bothered to update my PC much.

Quote:

View Post

Okay...I think I have the problem resolved. I sync both GPUs to the clocks of the lower one: 445 core and 1070 memory. EVGA Precision and GPUZ both confirm.

Great! Now try overclocking them both and see how high you can get!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine are sync'ed exactly like 7HM's and JNielson's but at my lowest GPU's clock speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Mine are sync'ed exactly like 7HM's and JNielson's but at my lowest GPU's clock speeds.

Great now you can overclock them if you'd like and use fur mark as I've said before to check its stability or your favorite game.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090703/furm...ities-is-back/ here's furmark And make sure you trying to the clean install as we've mentioned before just to assure that it isn't a driver issue.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

Great now you can overclock them if you'd like and use fur mark as I've said before to check its stability or your favorite game.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090703/furm...ities-is-back/ here's furmark And make sure you trying to the clean install as we've mentioned before just to assure that it isn't a driver issue.

This is actually not my rig. Gaming is rarely done with this rig, but the owner wanted decent graphics(I'd call it a medium/low end setup with the graphics). These 7800GTs in SLI will be more than the owner will ever need at least for a while...even with the clocks set at 445/1070.

I'll go ahead and completely clean out the old nvidia video drivers from safe mode with driver cleaner pro and run ccleaner as well. Which driver version should I consider?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.