Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if there is really a need for water cooled Fury X. Its only going to make the card expensive compared to air cooled ones.

The air cooler on my Fury Tri-X holds up really well even though its fully unlocked and oc to 1070/525. I know its mild oc. I adjust the fan profiles and it never go above 60C. Its very quiet also. Hene, I am wonder why dont AMD opt for a cheaper air cooled solution? Could sell the card cheaper and increase margins as well.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
fury x can live as a air cooled card because the fury is pretty much a cut down X with the same TDP profile and most likely PCB designs and the nano when clocked the same as the X performs exactly the same because its essentially the same chip.

AMD wanted the X on water simple due to backlashes from their past experience with the 290x being notoriously loud and hot on air and they can market the card as a premium product.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
The core should need better cooling than a 290x ,HBM is what actually reduced power consumption but Fiji has a bigger die

But generally (DX11) games dont use as much gpu as stress test so the heat output might not be an issue

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
^plus, you would have vrm temperature issues like the ones that don't start the fans unless the gpu reaches 65°C.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Need? Probably not, but I sure love my 62C @ 15% fan speed.
thumb.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts