Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
48,306 Posts
It will help you overclock a bit more but the main benefit in your situation water cooling can bring is lower temps. Also it will be quieter.

• Rep+
Reactions: skatpex99

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
I think it would help your out a little.
You don't seem to have a very good overclocking 5870. My old one would run 1000/1300 24/7 at 1.25v.
Its up to you. I think water cooling yours would allow a higher 24/7 overclock such as 1040+

• Rep+
Reactions: skatpex99

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, tried to justify buying a WB for my 5870 but just couldn't. Got core to 1045. Any higher was unstable in vantage and high voltage didnt fix it. Got mem to 1250 with room left to go but concentrated more on core. Since the core won't go any high, I dont think WC'ing it would be worth it. Now if the core went to 1070+ that would be a differ story. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatpex99 View Post
Well, tried to justify buying a WB for my 5870 but just couldn't. Got core to 1045. Any higher was unstable in vantage and high voltage didnt fix it. Got mem to 1250 with room left to go but concentrated more on core. Since the core won't go any high, I dont think WC'ing it would be worth it. Now if the core went to 1070+ that would be a differ story. Thanks for advice.
The intangible part of WC, is that keeping the card/core etc cooler, it performs better, something to do with higher temps on this stuff power goes thru faster as it loses resistance, something - not an electrical engineer so I really can't speak authoritatively on that. But, theoretically if you keep a card cooler you can get better OC's with less voltage.
If you are going to do it, I'd say make sure having a cooler, quieter graphics solution is enough for you, that'd you'd be satisfied with that - and if you come out able to keep your same OC with less voltage, or go higher with your current, that's a bonus.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oussal View Post
The intangible part of WC, is that keeping the card/core etc cooler, it performs better, something to do with higher temps on this stuff power goes thru faster as it loses resistance, something - not an electrical engineer so I really can't speak authoritatively on that. But, theoretically if you keep a card cooler you can get better OC's with less voltage.
If you are going to do it, I'd say make sure having a cooler, quieter graphics solution is enough for you, that'd you'd be satisfied with that - and if you come out able to keep your same OC with less voltage, or go higher with your current, that's a bonus.
You make a good point there. Do you guys think a single GTX360 with 3x1 UltraKaze 3000's can handle my OC'ed i7 and GPU? Max temp on my cpu loop only is around 65'C

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

You make a good point there. Do you guys think a single GTX360 with 3x1 UltraKaze 3000's can handle my OC'ed i7 and GPU? Max temp on my cpu loop only is around 65'C
I'd get 3 more + shrouds and I think it'd handle it no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
I was gonna watercool my 295's but you gotta think... the stock cooling is pretty good. Plus, I upgrade all the time. That right there keeps me from dumping more money into something I'm just gonna get rid of in a year or so. Also, i'd have to buy another radiator and it's just more stuff in the way when im upgrading other things.

To each his own though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I doubt it effects your CPU temps much at all and your GPU temps would plummet as long as you have a pump that will handle the extra block fine (a ddc or d5 both be fine). If you check my sig rig, its i5 - so ya not as toasty, but I've got the GTX 360 w/ 3x1 Gentletyphoons (1850rpm), i5 up to 4ghz on 1.3v (think) and 5850 at 1000/1300 and my cpu temps are basically same as yours and my 5850 in last furmark I did for 15m didn't break 35c.
Highest temps I've ever seen was after about 36 hours of folding all 4 cores on the CPU and the GPU at 100%, CPU was at 68c and GPU was at 40c w/ ~29-30c ambient temp.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

There are hacks for Afterburner that will let you up the voltage past 1.6v

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I installed my waterblock on my 5970 2 days ago. Here are the temps:

Before WB
Idle = around 40 degrees
Load = 75 on core and 105 ish on VDDC's

After WB Idle:

Load:

You be the judge if you should get one or not

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.