Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I am about to order a new PC and I've picked a huge Noctua D15 CPU cooler. The case that I picked is a regular vertical case by Fractal Design R5. Now some guys say that the big D15 can damage the mobo. And I thought that maybe there is an option for a PC case that lies down ? Dont know if they have special names for it. Or something that will hold the D15 vertically and not hanging on a socket waiting to crack...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you get a REALLY cheap mobo that has a thin PCB, then you might get a little sag from the mobo. If you buy any half decent mobo, you shouldn't have an issue with damage. I wouldn't worry about the case as long as you have a decent mobo. If you're really worried, you can always use a zip tie to "hang" it from the top of the case as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackersjt View Post

If you get a REALLY cheap mobo that has a thin PCB, then you might get a little sag from the mobo. If you buy any half decent mobo, you shouldn't have an issue with damage. I wouldn't worry about the case as long as you have a decent mobo. If you're really worried, you can always use a zip tie to "hang" it from the top of the case as well.
I was thinking about Gigabyte K3 , what do you think?
And how do I even know how thicc is a mobo?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristodian View Post

I was thinking about Gigabyte K3 , what do you think?
And how do I even know how thicc is a mobo?
Typically any mid-range board with do. I see that that board has reinforced ram slots, so that seems encouraging.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracarpet View Post

Are you talking about a case like this?

cooler height limitation of 230mm, d15 is 160 i think.

Sorry for canadian link btw lol

Here is US link... there is also a tempered glass variant for $20 more.
The first link didnt work, the second link looks like the right spot! What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackersjt View Post

Typically any mid-range board with do. I see that that board has reinforced ram slots, so that seems encouraging.
Well... I am waiting for cofeveve lake to come out and il have to choose from new 300 series mobos... gotta keep an eye on dat thiccness then, when they come out

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Quote:

The first link didnt work, the second link looks like the right spot! What do you think?
I think it's a good case, the reviews confirm that... it's just really big. So if you had any reservations about total case size, it might be worth looking at conventional cases and dealing with the sag.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracarpet View Post

I think it's a good case, the reviews confirm that... it's just really big. So if you had any reservations about total case size, it might be worth looking at conventional cases and dealing with the sag.
were you refering to the D5 or that box thing?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Quote:

were you refering to the D5 or that box thing?
The thermaltake case, it's really big. The D5 will fit into most vertical cases... you will just have to deal with the sag. Which to be honest I haven't heard of many people breaking motherboards due to cooler weight, but I could see how it would bother some.

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
CM HAF XB Bench/ LAN box. Looking to get this for my CRYORIG R1 Ult. Has 180mm clearance from mobo to the case's top panel's bumpout.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:

Now some guys say that the big D15 can damage the mobo. And I thought that maybe there is an option for a PC case that lies down ? Dont know if they have special names for it. Or something that will hold the D15 vertically and not hanging on a socket waiting to crack...

Thanks in advance
Big air coolers cooler damaging the motherboard really isn't an issue unless you're particularly rough and careless when moving your case. Its something that's often exaggerated by CLC fanatics as an argument to defend their questionable purchase.

I do advice to remove the cooler under transport though, as significant shocks can happen out of your control. With a good mount like on the Noctua's, Cryorig's, etc. you can remove and re-mount them under a minute, so it doesn't take much effort anyway.

So if you like a case like the Define R5 or the Define S, just get it, your motherboard will be just fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Big air coolers cooler damaging the motherboard really isn't an issue unless you're particularly rough and careless when moving your case. Its something that's often exaggerated by CLC fanatics as an argument to defend their questionable purchase.

I do advice to remove the cooler under transport though, as significant shocks can happen out of your control. With a good mount like on the Noctua's, Cryorig's, etc. you can remove and re-mount them under a minute, so it doesn't take much effort anyway.

So if you like a case like the Define R5 or the Define S, just get it, your motherboard will be just fine.
Tnx

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
if you're set on getting a case with a horizontal board, take a look at the Thermaltake Core v21 which is for mATX boards I think, however there is a larger version of the case.
Core V21 mATX http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Cube_Case_/Core/C_00002559/Core_V21/design.htm
Core X5 tempered glass e-ATX http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Cube_Case_/Core/C_00003042/Core_X5_Tempered_Glass_Edition/design.htm
Core X5 ATX http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Cube_Case_/Core/C_00002806/Core_X5/design.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts