·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monitor:

http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-M2762D-PM.jsp

Sound Card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102189

My main goal is to hook both my Xbox 360 and PS3 to my monitor and use the speakers connected to my sound card. After doing extensive research, I figured out how to connect just the 360 or just the PS3 (thanks to the two HDMI ports on the monitor). However, I'm stumped on how to connect both at the same time.

What I can't seem to figure out is the sound. I currently plan to have a y-adapter connected to the line-in on my sound card and connect the A/V red and white plugs into that. The problem with that is I can only have one console plugged to that at a time and I would rather not have to switch out the wires for the respective console every time I wanted to play that console.

Is there a magical switch or box that would allow me to use the line-in on my sound card to connect both the 360 and PS3's audio plugs to it?

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
You could plug the speakers 3.5mm into the side of that monitor. It should be a small port on the bottom left side of the monitor.

·
GTX 1080 Ti Club
1,783 Posts
Sorry to go off topic but could you let me know how you hooked up your speakers to your PC and Xbox 360 at the same time without having to switch any cables around?

I tried to do it but could never figure out how. So I have to continuously switch my green 3.5mm plug from the PC to the console.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1990;12039002
Sorry to go off topic but could you let me know how you hooked up your speakers to your PC and Xbox 360 at the same time without having to switch any cables around?

I tried to do it but could never figure out how. So I have to continuously switch my green 3.5mm plug from the PC to the console.
Sorry I should have been a little more specific. I actually don't have the monitor yet it is coming in the mail so everything up to this point has been from research and is theoretical.

As I plan it, my 5.1 speakers are plugged into the first 3 sockets. This leaves the line-in open. I plan on plugging the y-adapter into the available line-in socket and using the microphone playback to trick the speakers into playing them.

This is detailed in Method 2 of this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/xbox/363405-how-connect-your-xbox-360-your.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, sorry to double post but after checking one of the front speakers on my 5.1 speaker system, there does seem to be a headphone jack I could plug the y-adapter into.

Does this help at all or should I ignore this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet;12039173
KVM switch and 3.5mm splitter? 0.o
What is a KVM switch?

Edit: Searched for a KVM switch on newegg and it seems all of them that I saw did not have a/v connectors. Do you know where I could find one like that?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkoCham;12039194
What is a KVM switch?

Edit: Searched for a KVM switch on newegg and it seems all of them that I saw did not have a/v connectors. Do you know where I could find one like that?
Device to what you plug cables from multiply sources and then to 1 monitor. Afterwards you're just pressing button to switch between. Like TV
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
RCA to 3.5mm to y splitter to line in (either on sound card or speakers). I plug an RGB into my monitor from my xbox and then use an RCA to 3.5mm jack to connect the sound to my line in on the speaker controller box. It works great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no problems on the HDMI connections since my monitor has 2 HDMI ports. That is a great deal though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts