Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6970 Crossfire had microstuttering (correct me if I'm wrong), is that the same case for the 7970?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
any multiGPU setup will experience microstutter, it's impossible not to with how the technology is.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arni90 View Post

any multiGPU setup will experience microstutter, it's impossible not to with how the technology is.
This.

Whether you notice it or not is subjective though.

I for myself am fine with the GTX 590, however there was a certain place in Portal 2 and Serious Sam where I could definately see it.
It was a weird unnatural stuttering that appeared even well above 100 fps. But that were the only occasions where it happened.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see... I wish I knew someone who had a crossfire rig who'd let me try it out to see if it's no big deal to me or not

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Just buy 2x 7970 in crossfire, and if it turns out the microstuttering is too much for you, just return one/both of them for a full refund within 21 days.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Drivers or not, but I noticed stuttering & MICROstuttering on my SLI 570s. The VRAM limit in BF3 was causing stutter where it would go from 80fps straight down to 30fps and stay there being jerky and what not. I also experienced MICROstutter where, for example, 80fps was not as smooth as say, 55fps. The 80fps felt choppy and skippy, making it seem less playable than setting vsync on to cap at 60fps.

Now with my CF 7970s. I had super huge problems getting the drivers to work, but now that I do, it performs flawlessly. I do not experience any stutter for one because it has both GPU power and VRAM headroom vs the 570s. I was also worried about MICROstutter, but I did not notice it one bit. 60fps, 80fps, 120fps all felt just as buttery smooth on my Dell U2311h. Yes, my monitor has only a refresh rate of 60hz, but at 120fps, it did feel noticeably smoother than 60fps. Probably a placebo effect, but nonetheless, I have experience 0 microstutter from CF 7970. I have very, very sensitive eyes and I will notice the slightest stutter or hiccup.

Believe me when I say I'm sensitive because I sold my 570s only after owning them for a month to get 7970s.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empr1ze View Post

I see... I wish I knew someone who had a crossfire rig who'd let me try it out to see if it's no big deal to me or not
It all depends on the hardwares we choose to have crossfire setup to minimize it and at what resolution. To give a blanket statement multi-GPU will have stuttering is very subjective.

To get an idea, please have a look here; Weird Eyefinity stuttering issues. Please help!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
This is actually a pretty pointless conversation, because microstutter is way too complex and variable a phenomenon to lend itself to looking at a particular gfx card and saying 'two of those will/will not have microstutter'.

It's frankly a lot like asking "If I get 2 of Card XXX and run them in Crossfire, will I get good fps?".

Both questions have a similar correct answer: "Sometimes"

Bottom-line, the actual cards chosen have very little to do with whether or not they'll exhibit microstutter ... Although I might say that the more powerful your cards are, the less statistically likely it'll be that you'll notice microstutter with them, but it'd be a generality, not a 'rule'.

And aside from that, it's really everything BUT the cards that decides it
wink.gif

·
Registered
834 Posts
I play BF3 and SWTOR in Eyefinity. No noticeable microstutter. Before my 7970s, I had 570s in SLi. No noticeable microstutter either.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Using 7970 crossfire, no stuttering.

Some people that do notice stutter fix it this way:

Use the OSD fps limiter in msi afterburner version 2.2 beta 11. Limit fps to 60 or 120 depending on how fast your LCD refreshes. I've heard from everyone that has used it, that microstutter is gone by doing this. Or you can enable vsync

·
Registered
461 Posts
In BF3 at least, there was a difference between enabling vsync vs setting AB limiter to 60.

With vsync only, the 60fps felt slower as in when I make a 180 turn, or just moving in general, my monitor is trying to sync up the frames to exactly 60hz on my monitor, amd it tries too hard. It just feels a tad bit slower, kind of like if you enable motion blur, and it is noticeably slower.

With only limiter, it is faster, but I do get some tearing but it's not as noticeable and won't affect gameplay as much as only vsync on because it doesn't feel slow, it just feels like 60fps.

With both on, it felt smooth and no tearing.

Just my experience, no scientifc research or numbers involved.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
And lemme give ya another generality when it comes to microstutter ... the HIGHER your multi-GPU 'scaling', the MORE likely the setup is to exhibit microstutter.

Optimal 'scaling' for minimization of microstutter is in the 75-90% range. Once you get up into the realm of 93%+ scaling, what that means is that the driver is set up (on that particular test/game) to make no attempt to 'evenly distribute' the frametimes.

IOW, the driver is eschewing any sort of metering (or 'making one card wait for the other occasionally, for the sake of smoothness') in favor of raw FPS. They do this because it helps to sell cards ... but it doesn't make the gaming experience better.

55FPS with no microstutter will be massively better 'feeling' than 60FPS with microstutter. However, the card makers (AMD in particular is especially guilty of this) believe that the public (as well as the online reviewers) are so consumed with FPS and scaling numbers, and so ignorant of microstutter, that it's in their best interest to setup their drivers to maximize FPS and Scaling, and not worry about the 'cost' on the actual gameplay experience.

The main reason microstutter has not been eliminated is that it's contrary to the gfx card makers interests ... because removing it means a) more expensive and elaborate driver code, and b) lower scaling and FPS numbers.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood78 View Post

I play BF3 and SWTOR in Eyefinity. No noticeable microstutter. Before my 7970s, I had 570s in SLi. No noticeable microstutter either.
What are your settings in Catalyst and in game?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wint0nic View Post

What are your settings in Catalyst and in game?
In BF3, 5760 x 1200, All settings Ultra, motion blur off, FXAA high, 0x MSAA
in SWTOR, 5760 x 1200 all high settings. I get horrible xfire scaling in SWTOR bc the drivers are borked.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

And lemme give ya another generality when it comes to microstutter ... the HIGHER your multi-GPU 'scaling', the MORE likely the setup is to exhibit microstutter.
Optimal 'scaling' for minimization of microstutter is in the 75-90% range. Once you get up into the realm of 93%+ scaling, what that means is that the driver is set up (on that particular test/game) to make no attempt to 'evenly distribute' the frametimes.
IOW, the driver is eschewing any sort of metering (or 'making one card wait for the other occasionally, for the sake of smoothness') in favor of raw FPS. They do this because it helps to sell cards ... but it doesn't make the gaming experience better.
55FPS with no microstutter will be massively better 'feeling' than 60FPS with microstutter. However, the card makers (AMD in particular is especially guilty of this) believe that the public (as well as the online reviewers) are so consumed with FPS and scaling numbers, and so ignorant of microstutter, that it's in their best interest to setup their drivers to maximize FPS and Scaling, and not worry about the 'cost' on the actual gameplay experience.
The main reason microstutter has not been eliminated is that it's contrary to the gfx card makers interests ... because removing it means a) more expensive and elaborate driver code, and b) lower scaling and FPS numbers.
Isn't micro stutter basically when frames have longer delays between being displayed? If so wouldn't that make better scaling have higher FPS meaning more frames in a short amount of time, also meaning less noticable stutter since the delays are shorter?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts