Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the last year and a half iv had failures in my HDD that caused one of my raid 0 drives go bad.

last year my WD 500GB/500GB setup one drive failed and made hissing noises.

and now on my rig one of my WD caviar blacks went bad. its makign a hissing noise.

is it just bad luck or is there something going on here?

maybe i should just go SSD from now on....

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Do you have your pc on a lot? Hard drives do fail, but your's fail a lot.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Nope... RAID should not increase failure rate.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
How are your drives mounted? Large numbers of them vibrating away might interfere with each other... but it's got to be bad luck mostly.

I've also seen bad PSUs kill parts. Were all the HDDs in the same rig? JonnyGuru says that PSU is solid - but it is possible to get duds. Maybe yours has a really bad +12v ripple.

It's probably luck, but I would consider the PSU as well when parts fail repeatedly.

6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
How are your drives mounted? Large numbers of them vibrating away might interfere with each other... but it's got to be bad luck mostly.

I've also seen bad PSUs kill parts. Were all the HDDs in the same rig? JonnyGuru says that PSU is solid - but it is possible to get duds. Maybe yours has a really bad +12v ripple.

It's probably luck, but I would consider the PSU as well when parts fail repeatedly.
yeah they are mounted and the cooler master mounting rivets are rubber so id assume that dampens the vibration from both HDDs'. yes one drive is completely kaput.

i just started an RMA with WD. hopefully this will be the last one i will ever get to fail. its just disheartening when it happens far too often for my liking. i wont have a gaming rig till the HDD comes in. I cant go back to single HDD.

but the waiting is killing me. Im tempted to go out and buy another pair for raid 0.
can anyone recommend me something fo similar performance from another HDD manufacturer?

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Everyone here recommends Samsung.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

These are often on sale for $60. They have no issues with RAID, and have one of the highest sequential speeds 7200RPM drives can offer!

I prefer WD Blacks for the access times, but you can't beat the price on these Samsungs.

Just be aware that if they also fail, you need to look elsewhere for what's causing it.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect
View Post

lol wow, youre canadian and you show me an AMERICAN deal. you should know better. tsk tsk.

Just change the .com to .ca

I take it you already know the places to look? NCIX.com, Newegg.ca, ShopBot.com, Dell.ca, RedFlagDeals.com, etc.?

Quote:

View Post

k well ill give samsung a go.

thanks elminster

Good luck.
Model #HD103SJ is probably the one you want.

6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy
View Post

Just change the .com to .ca

I take it you already know the places to look? NCIX.com, Newegg.ca, ShopBot.com, Dell.ca, RedFlagDeals.com, etc.?

Good luck.
Model #HD103SJ is probably the one you want.

k well, I went to the NCIX show room in markham and i went against your better advice and decided to go and get two of these which are a bit of a downgrade from what i had:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=34286&...D&promoid=1223

once i get my RMA replacement can i raid 0 the 6401 with the WD6402?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=52888&...20Digital%20WD

i was thinking of rad 10 with them. is it possible? or am i just asking for trouble?

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
well if you have the bucks, and the space/ports for 4 drives instead of 2, you can run RAID 1+0 which will mean if one drive goes bad then you can switch it out...

Just be aware it will be:
Noisier
Hotter
More expensive
More complex
Use more ports
Only get space of 2 drives whilst having 4
Probably use more CPU time

However if one drive (or 2 of the right ones) fails you can switch it out without losing the data on the Array.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
k well, I went to the NCIX show room in markham and i went against your better advice and decided to go and get two of these which are a bit of a downgrade from what i had:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=34286&...D&promoid=1223
Hey, those are nice drives! I've got one - it's nearly silent.

Benches real nice too. Great access times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
once i get my RMA replacement can i raid 0 the 6401 with the WD6402?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=52888&...20Digital%20WD

i was thinking of rad 10 with them. is it possible? or am i just asking for trouble?
I have no clue. It might be possible. I'd check all of them first with HDTune, to verify they are close enough in access times and sequential speeds.

Then I'd probably try it, and report back.

6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
Hey, those are nice drives! I've got one - it's nearly silent.

Benches real nice too. Great access times.

I have no clue. It might be possible. I'd check all of them first with HDTune, to verify they are close enough in access times and sequential speeds.

Then I'd probably try it, and report back.

how do i do that when my drives are running in raid?

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
You could RAID10 those drives just fine, without worries. They might not perform optimal, but you're still going to see increases all around. You'll just be limited by the "slower" drives.

You should enjoy RAID10 too
. Supposedly read speeds of 4x RAID0, and write speeds of 2x RAID0 (if I remember correctly).

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

View Post

how do i do that when my drives are running in raid?

You set up the other two in a RAID-0 array with the same stripe size, then bench both arrays and compare?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts