Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Define R5 but would like to move to something else as in the summer months the CPU is above 40 deg C. Using Noctua NH-D15 to cool Ryzen 3800X.

I would like to keep the PC quiet, while at the same time have as low temperatures as possible.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was looking at R7 but found some reviews where R6 had better temps.

·
LTSC for life crew
4,620 Posts
Thanks, I was looking at R7 but found some reviews where R6 had better temps.
It's going to depend on how the person sets up the case. I run mine without the filters and it's a direct airflow path from the front intake to the CPU cooler and from the intake to the GPU. Temps are great but if you have a bunch of drives installed in the transformer slot it will preheat intake air and you will have worse cpu temps.

@doyll - have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
this is going to be mostly subjective. My o11 dynamic with 6 case fans is virtually silent and cpu temps are never hot. But those 6 fans are on radiators and its fully watercooled. Sticking to air cooled id suggest larger fans 140mm or even 200mm as they move lots of air while spinning at a lower rpm.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's going to depend on how the person sets up the case. I run mine without the filters and it's a direct airflow path from the front intake to the CPU cooler and from the intake to the GPU. Temps are great but if you have a bunch of drives installed in the transformer slot it will preheat intake air and you will have worse cpu temps.
@doyll - have any recommendations?
Thanks. But no filters is a no go for me, don't want the dust inside the case.

this is going to be mostly subjective. My o11 dynamic with 6 case fans is virtually silent and cpu temps are never hot. But those 6 fans are on radiators and its fully watercooled. Sticking to air cooled id suggest larger fans 140mm or even 200mm as they move lots of air while spinning at a lower rpm.
Yes, I already have 140mm Noctuas as my case fans.

·
Senior OCN Member
42,046 Posts
I have a Define 7 XL with 6 fans in it and if you have the door closed and you use the closed off top panel its a very quiet but also a hot case
Its even more quiet if you buy the version with a solid metal side panel as there is noise noise dampening foam in the side and top panels

With the open top panel and the glass side panels you do get more noise but also better air flow
Not with the glass side panel i meant the top panel

·
Registered
307 Posts
The Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 is the best for an all air cooled build for GPU thermals while also having reasonable CPU thermals assuming traditional mounting of video card per Gamers Nexus.

I like it cause no optical drive bay and can install 3 front 140mm load speed fans and 1 rear 140mm fan that are quiet for good airflow with dust filter removed. Got to clean it often though.

The standardized test Gamers Nexus only uses 2 in take and one exhaust so I imagine air flow is much better adding a 3rd.

The Lian Li O11 XL is also almost as good for video card thermals, but near bottom for CPU thermals

If you do not have a high end video card and just are concerned with CPU temps, Fractal Torrent all the way. Best CPU thermals average GPU thermals, though below average for quiet cooling for GPU thermals

·
Old school gamer
1,917 Posts
I have a Define R5 but would like to move to something else as in the summer months the CPU is above 40 deg C. Using Noctua NH-D15 to cool Ryzen 3800X.

I would like to keep the PC quiet, while at the same time have as low temperatures as possible.

I think the title question is a bit wrong, quiet operation only depends partially on the case. Also can you define how quiet your looking for?

My current rig is a 5900X with a Nitro+ 6800 in an NR200 case using a Big Shuriken 3 cooler with a side intake fan and two exhaust fans. The case fans are locked at around 900 RPM, the CPU cooler is set to silent in the BIOS and the fan curve on the GPU is tweaked slightly. My system under full gaming load hits around 68C on the CPU and the GPU tops at an edge temp of 80C. The system is so quiet that early morning, before dawn, with no one else in the house awake, I can hear the crickets outside over the sound of the rig.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

Quiet pc cases are only marginally effective, there are other ways to keep a pc build quiet and cool without getting a "quiet" pc case. my current pc is in a Lian Li TU-150WX which isn't really a quiet pc case, yet my pc is basically dead silent.

the main idea is mix/match fans/fan speed. different blade counts, different speeds, different angles/blade designs. see sound is sort of additive if you have two fans with the same maker, spinning the same speed, their noise level is essentially "additive" (it isn't quite additive, but it's close enough for the purpose of this discussion), meaning 2 will be about x2 louder then 1. by mixing up the fan models, with radically different blade designs you can remove the additive noise from multiple fans, and most pc fans spinning at 800-1200 rpm are essentially soundless inside a closed pc case.

This leaves you with the other big noise makers to be concerned about, your gpu and cpu. I love the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II cpu cooler family. It removes the biggest downfall of mitx or small form factor quiet builds, which is usually very poor airflow over the socket. that socket fan is amazing, and it's basically dead silent. the pump is quiet as well, and if your cooler can cool the cpu without working hard the fan is basically quiet too. As for the gpu, either get a low Watt high end gpu so it's fans can spin slower, or find a 3rd party gpu cooler, my current gpu is an rtx 2700 super, and it's fans almost never spin up and is so quiet i can't really hear it either (sometimes i can but the background noise has to be gone, and the speakers off, while playing something that really ramps it up, like elden ring); it's not even a unique or special gpu cooler, i could get quieter if i had to by replacing the gpu cooler, but i don't really have the need right now.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I have a couple “issues” with your argument. 40c isn’t hot for a cpu that is rated for at the very least 80c.

Second, pc cases do not make sounds.

Quantity of fans + loudness of fans make the difference between silent pc and loud pc.

It doesn’t matter how many fans you have if they all produce inaudible noise. Also, fans perform different depend on the speed they run at, and also comparatively to other fans made by other brands. No two fans are equal, and even if you have the multiple of the same fan in a single pc, one might develop rattling or other issues which may increase the noise of the overall system, even if the rest of the computer is “silent”.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
depends on what you consider "quiet".
I don't game, I do audio editing so the quieter, the better.

I have a couple “issues” with your argument. 40c isn’t hot for a cpu that is rated for at the very least 80c.

Second, pc cases do not make sounds.

Quantity of fans + loudness of fans make the difference between silent pc and loud pc.

It doesn’t matter how many fans you have if they all produce inaudible noise. Also, fans perform different depend on the speed they run at, and also comparatively to other fans made by other brands. No two fans are equal, and even if you have the multiple of the same fan in a single pc, one might develop rattling or other issues which may increase the noise of the overall system, even if the rest of the computer is “silent”.
Higher temp = more noise. I just want to have less of it.

• Rep+
Reactions: emeianoite

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
A quality pair of closed-back headphones.

Higher temp =/= higher noise...
Higher fan speed on size relative fans = fan noise

Set the fan curve of your fans through software, or get better fans that produce less noise.

Noctua (for example, not saying you need to go this route), include cables with resistors in them to forcefully reduce the fan speed of their fans. I believe they include the adapters with all their fans, but double check to make sure.

EDIT: I use Noctua fans with the fan controller in my BIOS.... Unless I'm mining (which I can then hear the GPU), or if I'm gaming, the computer is whisper quiet. I could change the fan curve to be more silent in games, but I just use headphones most of the time and most noise does not bother me at that point.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

FWIW, by allowing higher temps you, should get less noise.

My PC at minimum fan speeds is almost silent, but the temps are higher; my PC at max fan speeds sounds like a blow-dryer, but the temps are better.

40*c is pretty much nothing for a 5800x; just adjust your fan curve so they don't ramp up so fast or just cap the fan-speeds.

• Rep+
Reactions: xxicrimsonixx

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I have 3x 12mm fans, 2x 8mm fans and 1x 14mm fan, not including the fans on the GPU. My power supply is platinum efficiency and the fan almost never turns on, due to the high efficiency.

You can have cold without noise, ****ty fans are the culprit. That's the reason I always spend a ton of money on the fans (I usually go with Noctua because it is a name I trust), but other brands such as Be Quiet are good too.

·
Tokyo the defiler
966 Posts

just hide the PC away somewhere, i'm sure you got space especially if you're doing sound editing, maybe you run professional equipment? I do, and I dont sound edit professionally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts