Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
PC Master Racer
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuypower-...551Q6/14562914

I know you're not supposed to buy PCs from stores and build it yourself yayaya...I am not so confident with myself in building my first PC. I don't want to do something and mess up my whole system. In fact, I couldn't risk the money loss. My nerves are too shot for it, I suppose.

I tried building the same system on www.CyberPowerPC.com and www.iBUYPOWER.com and it was more money on both and besides that, I heard some horrible things about their service while on the other hand the PC I'm using now came in just great shape and in 2 days from Walmart...

Walmart: $858.00, $9.97 Shipping
iBUYPOWER: $991.00, $75.00 Shipping
CyberPowerPC: 1009.85, $0.00 Shipping

At www.Game-Debate.com I looked up some popular games like GTA IV, COD: Black OPs and Starcraft II and it can play these more than fine. In fact, I can upgrade my graphics card to the AMD HD6870 or NVIDIA GTX560TI without changing the power supply or anything in the future.

So my questions are:

1. Is it worth getting? Is there anything wrong with it I should be aware of? Will it last me several years?
2. How much would it be if I was to build this from scratch compared to the final (added tax) $928.03 asking price?

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deverica Wolf
View Post

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuypower-...551Q6/14562914

I know you're not supposed to buy PCs from stores and build it yourself yayaya...I am not so confident with myself in building my first PC. I don't want to do something and mess up my whole system. In fact, I couldn't risk the money loss. My nerves are too shot for it, I suppose.

I tried building the same system on www.CyberPowerPC.com and www.iBUYPOWER.com and it was more money on both and besides that, I heard some horrible things about their service while on the other hand the PC I'm using now came in just great shape and in 2 days from Walmart...

Walmart: $858.00, $9.97 Shipping
iBUYPOWER: $991.00, $75.00 Shipping
CyberPowerPC: 1009.85, $0.00 Shipping

At www.Game-Debate.com I looked up some popular games like GTA IV, COD: Black OPs and Starcraft II and it can play these more than fine. In fact, I can upgrade my graphics card to the AMD HD6870 or NVIDIA GTX560TI without changing the power supply or anything in the future.

So my questions are:

1. Is it worth getting? Is there anything wrong with it I should be aware of? Will it last me several years?
2. How much would it be if I was to build this from scratch compared to the final (added tax) $928.03 asking price?

Thank you for any advice.

that price and only 4gb ram no chance
you could build a better system for half the price there asking

·
Registered
912 Posts
inb4the "ZOMG Don't Buy that for that price" comments

it's true tho

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hell no! I agree with craigs911, 4GB of ram is pretty poor, also you have no idea what make it is, you can bet if its a bundle deal its probably cheap, cheap memory is an epic epic fail.
Do some reserch, building your own rig isnt as scary as you might think and way way cheaper than buying an all in one deal.

Hit me up if you want guidance, i've been building rigs for going on 14 years now so i can certainly point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
4 gigs of RAM is not "pretty poor."

4 gigs of RAM is just fine for usage now days. There are only a few programs written in 64 bit that can actually use over 2 gigs as it is, and those are mostly movie editing and graphical design programs. If you are looking to save money for now, use 2 of the 4 slots and get 2x2GB sticks, and leave the other 2 open for when games start being written in 64bit (I predict in the next few years).

1 gig for the OS, and 2 gigs for any current game is all you'll need. I don't know of an average user that comes close to using 4 gigs of RAM, even when multi-tasking, and I don't know why'd you'd multi-task games (running the same game twice doesn't use double the RAM).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah for general use 4GB is perfectly acceptable, but if your gonna spend that much money on a system, i'd expect at least 6 weather or not you need it or not is irrelevant coz i'd like the rig to be prepared for future software and games.
There's also no mention on what make or speed the RAM is, i've had much experience with these type of systems and all of them are built with as many corners cut as possible to keep costs down. So i can almost guarantee that the ram will be a very cheap make.
If your gonna spend that kind of money on a system, you'd be better off building it yourself, it'll last longer and it'll be much much cheaper.

But i know building a rig isnt for some people, you could do worse i suppose but i'd certainly keep looking around before i commit.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
omg.. can you guys AT LEAST LISTEN TO SOMEONE FOR THE FIRST TIME?!?!

hes aware about the pros/cons about pre built pcs, etc etc.. And hes giving out the reasons why its going that route..

CAN YOU GUYS AT LEAST POINT HIM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?!?!

the best answer would be wich PC from X manufacturer would be the "best" or better deal out of them.. period

and yes, built your own its better, more quality and all that crap, but THIS IS NOT THE CASE !!!!!!!!

my god..

·
PC Master Racer
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McNasty
View Post

Hit me up if you want guidance, i've been building rigs for going on 14 years now so i can certainly point you in the right direction.

Yes, if you could give me any tips on building a rig I'm be grateful. My main concern is ordering pieces and then getting into a jam with no point of return. I've never build anything short of Lego blocks.
I know some descent things about computers but nothing close to making my own. I know that if you do it wrong it could bust and I couldn't get my money back so, yeah, I'm a little etchy (is that a word?
). Kind of scared, actually.

I read some reviews on that PC I was looking at and people seemed OK with it. I know it could play big games without overheating. Also, I have 4 extra gigs I can put on it...my currant PC came with 8gigs and since I'm giving it to my "mum" ('cause you're from the UK
), and Windows 7 64-bit only needs 4gigs, I'm keeping 'em. I was also planning on getting a warranty on it as well.

I'm looking for something powerful that can play most games without going over that price range. Something that can last me a couple of years. Possibly something I can upgrade, spending money slowly over the years.

I checked on Newegg, trying to put my own system together and everytime I tried it came to over $1000.00. Also, I need Windows 7 Home, which is another $100.00.

If you or anyone else could help me, I would be grateful, yes.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SectorNine50
View Post

4 gigs of RAM is not "pretty poor."

4 gigs of RAM is just fine for usage now days. There are only a few programs written in 64 bit that can actually use over 2 gigs as it is, and those are mostly movie editing and graphical design programs. If you are looking to save money for now, use 2 of the 4 slots and get 2x2GB sticks, and leave the other 2 open for when games start being written in 64bit (I predict in the next few years).

1 gig for the OS, and 2 gigs for any current game is all you'll need. I don't know of an average user that comes close to using 4 gigs of RAM, even when multi-tasking, and I don't know why'd you'd multi-task games (running the same game twice doesn't use double the RAM).

The average Windows 7 install takes around 1.5GB alone, and considering this is an enthusiast level PC, you assume the user will want to multitask a lot, perhaps render stuff, play demanding games, etc. I'd say 4GB is the bare minimum for any enthusiast in the market for a new PC, and at that price you'd expect it to come with at least 6GB on a tri-channel setup.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah sure man, not a problem.
Its your choice at the end of the day, if you think that deal will suit your needs then by all means go for it.
Building your own rig might seem terrifying but to be honest, as long as you take your time and run it step by step its pretty straight forward.
In this day and age its very possible to build a decent rig for not very much money and its pretty satisfying too.
Have a think and let me know, im more than happy to help ya, i can write you up some step by steps and talk you through if you decide to go down the self build road.
Give me a rough budget of what you want to spend and i'll have a scout online and find you some options for a build.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hell no, I didn't even look at the link because I saw "Walmart" in the link. As soon as you walk out of the store with the PC, there is no returning it, you can even open the damn box and theres a brick inside, Walmart will tell you to take it up with the manufacturer.

Also, as I've always said: lol @ buying PCs at Walmart.
If you're going to by a PC that you're not going to BYOC, at least stick with Cyberpowerinc.

And building you own PC is not that hard really. There are thousands of guides on the interbutts on how to build one.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiga
View Post

Hell no, I didn't even look at the link because I saw "Walmart" in the link. As soon as you walk out of the store with the PC, there is no returning it, you can even open the damn box and theres a brick inside, Walmart will tell you to take it up with the manufacturer.

Also, as I've always said: lol @ buying PCs at Walmart.
If you're going to by a PC that you're not going to BYOC, at least stick with Cyberpowerinc.

And building you own PC is not that hard really. There are thousands of guides on the interbutts on how to build one.

Cyberpower is a total rip-off. This machine would cost $2000 there easy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Buy the parts your self watch a you tube how to and put it together its very easy. For that much money u could build quiet a nice rig.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you want to have a go at building your own, I'll help you via MSN/Facebook or whatever, give you step by step instructions.

I'm pretty sure most of the guys here will help out too! I'd try your first build, and see how it goes, if you want any help picking components etc... I'd be more than happy to help!

Let me know if you want, otherwise, just bite the bullet and buy it, yeah you can get better for the money, but seriously, if you're not willing to build, that's the only other option you have, unless someone kind enough on OCN in your location will build one for you...

Good luck, and give me a shout if you want some help if you do so decide to build one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyOverclocker
View Post

Cyberpower is a total rip-off. This machine would cost $2000 there easy.

Yeah but they're not as bad as iBuypower. I've had bad experiences with both, but when I had to do a mass order for work, Cyberpower came through for me nicely and they did not skimp at all on support/RMAs/warranties/etc.

When I built a system for my friend to use as a CS server from iBuyPower they half ass built it. No cable management, They didn't even mount the PSU in the case the right way, not to mention after 3 months of using it, I found they couldn't even put thermal paste on properly.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxborough
View Post

I'm pretty sure most of the guys here will help out too! I'd try your first build, and see how it goes, if you want any help picking components etc... I'd be more than happy to help!

Thats what we're here for!

·
PC Master Racer
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like something similar to the Walmart PC, perhaps better quality parts. Liquid cooling, great fans...Around $1000.00. I would also, perhaps like the option of not getting a SUPER great graphics card right now, and upgrading later when newer games come out and it's TRULY needed. Again, just an an option.

I plan on playing like Starcraft II, Sims 3, GTA IV...I also own a PS3 so I don't do all my gaming on here. I know graphics look better on a PC, and if I could get it, cool, but I'm really the heart & soul of the game so they don't mean THAT much to me. I want to be able to buy the PC only games like SCII and so forth...I also use this for burning cds of mine into FLAC files. So I'm not doing huge office tasks on here or anything, just home use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiga;13115976
The PC I have now, a HPE-400f PC, I bought at Walmart for $750. I know, a ripoff (well, it did come with 8 gigs of ram), but I was in a rush with limited library use so...
Anyway, the package came within 2 days and was in great condition. They say you have 14 days to return it but I didn't have to...I agree, though, they probably stink for that kind of stuff.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts