Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,, so I am planning to build my 8 year old brother a pc... he wants to do some gaming, internet browsing, watch HD movies, etc... I have uploaded the image of my cart..... He will play games like gta san andreas, IV, CoDs, and Crysis... i think he is fine with the fps until its playable at around 20-25 fps...
so all this costs about AUD1004... so is this good or not??? the budget is already overflown by 4 dollars
LOLLIES!!! and I do not think he will/want me to overclock anything..

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,400 Posts
I would stay away from the coolermaster power supply. Stick with a better brand at same price point. Corsair seems to be the consensus best PSU maker. You can get away with 500w quality PSU with that GPU and CPU.

Also if you can save enough money by getting a x4 Phenom II and get a 6850 GPU instead I would do that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by noahhova
View Post

I would stay away from the coolermaster power supply. Stick with a better brand at same price point. Corsair seems to be the consensus best PSU maker. You can get away with 500w quality PSU with that GPU and CPU.

Also if you can save enough money by getting a x4 Phenom II and get a 6850 GPU instead I would do that.

how about this one? http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=15355
and i think you are right about the cpu and gpu thingy...

Quote:


Originally Posted by sintricate
View Post

Seriously? lol an 8 year old? Talk about overkill and inappropriate games.

trust me.. he's a FREAK when it comes to electronics (especially with games on them!!!)

Quote:


Originally Posted by TheReaperWaits
View Post

Isn't a hexcore a bit of a waste for games and video watching?

well yes it is but the price was decent..... i chose the one at the top cause i haven't used AMD before..... so is http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=12293 with http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16740 a good choice to make?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
I would give hime something slightly less than required. Simply because thats how I learned about overclocking etc. It drives learning, you know? My interests in this area began around 9.

edit: Maybe a nice high phase count motherboard with a core 2 duo or something. and a 6790
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by noahhova
View Post

I would get this one and its cheaper...

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16381

he will be keeping this build for a while, so i think i will add another 6870 down the road... so will that unit be able power all of that???

Quote:


Originally Posted by SpeedNuggeT
View Post

Buy him a xbox and buy him black ops.

Mindless fun, full of other 8 year olds for him to socialise

no keyboard/mouse = no way he's gonna play FPS games with controllers!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I would change the CPU to a 965 BE, with that extra budget upgrade the GPU to a 6850.
It will give you more power for future games that require more horsepower than COD, or GTA.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=17198

You are now under budget. Buy yourself and your brother some ice cream.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Whitepants
View Post

I would change the CPU to a 965 BE, with that extra budget upgrade the GPU to a 6850.
It will give you more power for future games that require more horsepower than COD, or GTA.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=17198

yeah. i think now ill be gittin a 965BE paired with msi 6870...

Quote:


Originally Posted by Whitepants
View Post

You are now under budget. Buy yourself and your brother some ice cream.

I like that!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sintricate
View Post

Seriously? lol an 8 year old? Talk about overkill and inappropriate games.

I wouldn't say inappropriate games. I grew up on Doom and Mortal Kombat when I was young, and they were the most violent games of the time. Although I do agree...overkill. But, to each his own. I would say save some money, get a cheaper CPU, 1090 isnt needed.

Personally, I'd give him a snes and a copy of super mario world, zelda, and MK2, then kick his butt outta the house to go play while I play super mario
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,400 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
That PC is overkill for 20-25 fps in GTA, crysis, etc. My sig rig can run all those games with 35fps+ and yet is much worse. I recommend a cheaper card such as a gts 450 instead, which will allow him to run those games close to maximum graphics with great frames, but if 20-25 fps is what you're looking for, get a 9600gt.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by .:hybrid:.
View Post





I only got into GTA when I was 12

man i wanna trade my current system for that thing!!! looks awesome to me!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by -Allen-
View Post

That PC is overkill for 20-25 fps in GTA, crysis, etc. My sig rig can run all those games with 35fps+ and yet is much worse. I recommend a cheaper card such as a gts 450 instead.

well its not much over budget, so thats fine..
 
1 - 20 of 198 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top