Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought refurbs from tigerdirect before and never had a problem. This looks like a very good deal for a premade system. Just add a 9800gt and good to go for gaming. I wonder if it would overclock very well?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...99883&csid=_21

·
Registered
17 Posts
People have claimed issues with Gateway PC's, but personally, I think they're great. Much better than Dell and much more stable.

So sure, it's a good deal when the processor costs about half that price. The other parts in it won't be top of the line, but you could always sell off the parts to friends to make a profit.

But, like I said Gateways are tough systems to beat, and are very affordable.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Walhberg View Post
I've bought refurbs from tigerdirect before and never had a problem. This looks like a very good deal for a premade system. Just add a 9800gt and good to go for gaming. I wonder if it would overclock very well?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...99883&csid=_21
It won't OC at all. It's a Gateway, meaning the BIOS is locked. Even if you could OC, the slow RAM would hold you back

I'm not so sure you'd want to throw a 9800GT in there either...i doubt the power supply would be up to the task.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
It won't OC at all. It's a Gateway, meaning the BIOS is locked. Even if you could OC, the slow RAM would hold you back

I'm not so sure you'd want to throw a 9800GT in there either...i doubt the power supply would be up to the task.
Exactly what I was gonna say lol. No overclocking on prebuilt computers unless its gaming brand like CyberPower PC which uses aftermarket boards. It will power the 9800GT. States on Newegg it needs atleast a 400Watt, which is what that computer has. 100watt for cpu, 200watt for GFX card, 100watt for everything else.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ram would be replaceable right? I have a nice 500 watt thermaltake power supply to put in there if need be. Even at stock, it should smoke my old athlon 3200 system.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

The ram would be replaceable right? I have a nice 500 watt thermaltake power supply to put in there if need be. Even at stock, it should smoke my old athlon 3200 system.
Well...since you can't OC it, the RAM really won't matter that much.

As for the PSU, do you even know if that case can take an ATX form factor PSU? A lot of prebuilts can't fit them. I suppose a 500w thermaltake would power the GPU if the PSU fits...although non-toughpower PSUs from thermaltake aren't the greatest

Yeah it'll smoke the old system for sure, but i still think you're better off building your own. Remember...that's a refurb you're looking at, meaning something could have likely gone wrong with it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't even build a system this cheap could I? Not with a Q6600. If I can, let me know. I do know how to build a system. I've built my current 2 myself.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would rather have a system I could overclock and better ram and ofcourse a good video card like 8800-9800gt in there.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

I couldn't even build a system this cheap could I? Not with a Q6600. If I can, let me know. I do know how to build a system. I've built my current 2 myself.
Well...with that pre built you're getting a cheap case, mobo, and PSU for sure. Personally i'd spend a bit more and build. Do you really need a Q6600 anyway?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
Well...with that pre built you're getting a cheap case, mobo, and PSU for sure. Personally i'd spend a bit more and build. Do you really need a Q6600 anyway?

No, I can step down to a 7300 or something like that and overclock it. Spend more on mobo, case and video card. A nice case but don't need all the neon crap to go along with it. Something that looks cool, cools well, and games well, as well as ripping, unraring and such.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SacredChaos View Post
Exactly what I was gonna say lol. No overclocking on prebuilt computers unless its gaming brand like CyberPower PC which uses aftermarket boards. It will power the 9800GT. States on Newegg it needs atleast a 400Watt, which is what that computer has. 100watt for cpu, 200watt for GFX card, 100watt for everything else.

Can I build a similar system that cheap, even if I step down to a 7300 but overclock the crap out of it? Of course I would have to add price for a nice video card and such.

·
Registered
862 Posts
for gaming...e7200/3/4 etc...and with cheap case, stock HSF 9800gt decent PSU..decent ram...dude 500 bucks MAX...thats how much you would have to spend anyways buying that thing and setting it up with a card etc...

7200 119
any p35/45 board 100
9800gt 100
2/4gb dd2 800 ram 50ish
450w PSU 45
DVD rom drive 25
case 35
HDD 35
shipping is like 10-15 bucks cause so many items can be free....I didn't even add combo deals either.
509...thats pretty much a ballpark figure and this thing will rock games...

the system in my specs was done for 475 like a month and a half ago after rebates, but I did get an AWESOME deal on my vid card from a buddy. still add 70 or so...

·
Registered
862 Posts
and similar no this thing will DEMOLISH that system in a heartbeat....again my 7200 is OC'd to 3.6 easy on stock cooling and it never EVER goes over 60C on load 33C on idle.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddux View Post
for gaming...e7200/3/4 etc...and with cheap case, stock HSF 9800gt decent PSU..decent ram...dude 500 bucks MAX...thats how much you would have to spend anyways buying that thing and setting it up with a card etc...

7200 119
any p35/45 board 100
9800gt 100
2/4gb dd2 800 ram 50ish
450w PSU 45
DVD rom drive 25
case 35
HDD 35
shipping is like 10-15 bucks cause so many items can be free....I didn't even add combo deals either.

the system in my specs was done for 475 like a month and a half ago after rebates, but I did get an AWESOME deal on my vid card from a buddy. still add 70 or so...
What's a good combo deal on that 7300 processor with mobo? One that overclocks well. I see some at tigerdirect fairly cheap but want the right one. Man you guys burn the midnight oil. I couldnt sleap and came here.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, far as that goes, might as well go with the 8400, only $38 more and get more front side buss and cache/

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

7200 119
any p35/45 board 100
9800gt 100
2/4gb dd2 800 ram 50ish
450w PSU 45
DVD rom drive 25
case 35
HDD 35

Quote:

and similar no this thing will DEMOLISH that system in a heartbeat....again my 7200 is OC'd to 3.6 easy on stock cooling and it never EVER goes over 60C on load 33C on idle.
Except I would never go with cheap 450W PSU since there won't be much possibilities for expansion. At least recommend that Corsair 550W you have.

Quote:

Well, far as that goes, might as well go with the 8400, only $38 more and get more front side buss and cache/
Stock FSB isn't a factor when you're overclocking. The only thing you're really getting is higher cache, but a little less multiplier. $38 is a lot in proportion to the prices you're looking at. E7200 or E7300 will suffice. The difference is unnoticeable anyway. On the other hand if you drop that extra $38 on the GPU, miracles will happen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts