Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of how I could create an easy, safe way to drain my future wc'ing loop. My plans are to place a rad at the bottom of my corsair 800D as you probably have seen, but instead of using normal fittings I could use koolance quick disconnects. This will allow me to detach the tubes without spilling, hang them outside the case and then remove the quick disconnects that way it all drains outside the case. Also it will be at the very bottom of the loop so it should drain fairly easily. Do you think this is practical? Or is there a better way to do this.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I like this idea! I love to see innovation in the world of water cooling, and this is a perfect example!

I can't see any problems with it, and I think it would work perfectly as a drain line.

EDIT: One thing I would do would be to have the QDCs placed opposite to each other, so that the radiator has one male end and one female end. That way, after you remove the radiator you can connect the tubing back to each other. This would be convenient for when you want to vacuum out your radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good idea, but I have never drained a loop (nor do I know how, tbh) so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
I like this idea! I love to see innovation in the world of water cooling, and this is a perfect example!

I can't see any problems with it, and I think it would work perfectly as a drain line.
Ha thinks I am new to water cooling but I have had a VERY long time to plan cuz i dont get all my money til x-mas

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EDIT: One thing I would do would be to have the QDCs placed opposite to each other, so that the radiator has one male end and one female end. That way, after you remove the radiator you can connect the tubing back to each other. This would be convenient for when you want to vacuum out your radiator.[/QUOTE]

makes since, just out of curiosity, before I install the radiators do I need to flush them out?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Yes, definitely flush them out. Radiators often have lots of flux left over from manufacturing.

Mix boiling water + vinegar in a 50/50 solution and dump it into the radiator. Seal off the ends and shake it vigorously for about a minute, and then dump the water into the sink. After that, continue to rinse with tap water until the water coming out of the radiator is crystal clear, at which point you should rinse it once with distilled water before finally installing it into your loop.

I know it sounds like a lot, but there can be some serious crap in new radiators, crap you don't want clogging up your pump and CPU block.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
Mix boiling water + vinegar in a 50/50 solution and dump it into the radiator. Seal off the ends and shake it vigorously for about a minute, and then dump the water into the sink.
Good plan, but just note that the radiator will get very hot during the step in bold, due to the boiling water inside the rad. Hold it with a towel or gloves, unless you have asbestos fingers.

To drain your loop you could have a separate length of tube with a QDC on one end. Simply put the open end of the separate tube into a bucket, insert the QDC into the QDC in the loop, and you are set. It would look a little like the attached sketch.
LL

• Rep+
Reactions: charliehorse55

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenderlove0`
View Post

I was thinking of how I could create an easy, safe way to drain my future wc'ing loop. My plans are to place a rad at the bottom of my corsair 800D as you probably have seen, but instead of using normal fittings I could use koolance quick disconnects. This will allow me to detach the tubes without spilling, hang them outside the case and then remove the quick disconnects that way it all drains outside the case. Also it will be at the very bottom of the loop so it should drain fairly easily. Do you think this is practical? Or is there a better way to do this.

That'll work. Those things look pretty costly to me though, why not just use a long piece of tubing + t-line at the bottom of the loop?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ended up doing this in my loop when I was planning on was a length that had a koolance qdc in line. I bought 1 matching set and then 1 extra male for draining the system. When I got outside to the car I will get the camera to finally post pics...

·
Registered
609 Posts
how well do the QDC's hold up over time if they're not connected and the system is running?

·
Registered
273 Posts
What about using a t-line on the bottom and lead a tube to the back of the 800D with a plug on it and just attach it in the back until you need to drain. I am in the process of hooking up a possible draining solution to my build as well.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You mean something like this

works great get 1 extra male or female so when you disconnect you can plug it on to open the loop to drain. You then have to use a pencil to press in on the other plunger to open the loop fully or just get one extra set and when you unhook you can put on on each and open the loop to drain
I did it for that and since they come off the res/pump (d5 with xspc dualbay res) I can remove my res with no mess at all

they work great, they are pricey but if your picky about detail its worth it

you could alway just put a T in the line and a cut of for draining, it would be alot cheaper
LL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts