Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cooler Master hyper 212 plus and the cpu im running is the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE.

On HW monitor it says my cpu temps are at 26 min, and 31 max.

Are these temp readings bad, average, or very good?

·
Registered
628 Posts
they are really good. the only temp that really matters is when your computer is under load (working its hardest) because that is the hottest your cpu will ever get.

amd processors, AMD's minimum safe recommended temp is 55*C and their max safe temp I think is around 75*C but everyone usually stays between 55 and 63

I own a hyper 212 on my phenom 955 I hit 58*C under load, but I also have it overclocked to 4.3ghz.

your temps are super low, your should give overclocking a try.

heres the guide that I followed.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22/overclocking-101-with-the-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-processor/

side note: voltage is what can decrease the life span of your CPU if you put alot into it in your case 1.7v would be the max, personally I dont go past 1.6 but you may not even need to increase it at all to ge the overclock that you want. I can overclock my 955 to 3.8ghz on the stock voltage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: So I my idle temps are now at around 28-29C and when through stress testing (prime 95 and intel burn test) they are at around 43-45C

How good are these temps? and how much do you think i could overclock my cpu?

·
Riding on the edge
3,261 Posts
side note: voltage is what can decrease the life span of your CPU if you put alot into it in your case 1.7v would be the max, personally I dont go past 1.6 but you may not even need to increase it at all to ge the overclock that you want. I can overclock my 955 to 3.8ghz on the stock voltage.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious where you come up with 1.6-1.7v?

General rule for Vcore is 1.5v safe for 24/7 use and with good cooling 1.55v
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=532&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

As far as temps, read the CPU Socket temp with Asus PC Probe II, and 55c max (for overhead and stability), and you don't want to exceed 62c while under load. Exceeding these voltages or temps will definitely shorten life span of CPU, especially on air cooling!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Do you have the C2 (140W) or C3 (125W) stepping version of the proc (C3's tend to OC better with less voltage)? The max temp is the same regardless, 62C (not the previously mentioned 75C), but the recommended max you should work with is still the 55C max temp threshold.

I would recommend that you use ASUS's PC Probe II app to read the temps as it is pulling the information through your BIOS rather than HW Monitor software calc. I've heard from some people that it is not very accurate.

EDIT: Sorry Sandman, you ninja'd me.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Those are very good temperatures, maybe good enough to overclock the hell out of that processor!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis-X;13085377
Do you have the C2 (140W) or C3 (125W) stepping version of the proc (C3's tend to OC better with less voltage)? The max temp is the same regardless, 62C (not the previously mentioned 75C), but the recommended max you should work with is still the 55C max temp threshold.

I would recommend that you use ASUS's PC Probe II app to read the temps as it is pulling the information through your BIOS rather than HW Monitor software calc. I've heard from some people that it is not very accurate.

EDIT: Sorry Sandman, you ninja'd me.
smile.gif
I'm not too familiar what C2 and C3 is. How can I find out?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis-X;13086674
By the model number (OPN PIB) - found either on-top of the CPU chip, or on the box that came with it:

C2: HDZ955FBGIBOX

C3: HDX955FBGMBOX -OR- HDZ955FBGMBOX
I have the C3 version, how much do you think i could overclock my cpu?

And one other question, I downloaded ASUS probe II and this is what it shows me:

D.png

What do these numbers mean except for the temps?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I'll list the values with the explanation beside them:

(not including temps)
1956 rpm = that is the fan speed on your CPU HSF
1.38v = how much voltage your CPU is using
3.36v = This is the voltage off of your PSU (part of the large bundled cable) going to your 24 pin connector on your MoBo, last I read it provides power to all of the "logic chips" found on the mobo and PCI cards, and possibly your RAM.
5.02v = Also bundled in with your 24 pin main power cord on your PSU, it provides power to your USB ports, PCI headers, etc...
12.18v = Your main power source for high powered devices on your mobo like your CPU and discrete graphics cards, etc...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts