Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a new processor-amd athlon 64 3200+ [email protected] 2.0ghz, and a motherboard- asrock sk939 dual sata with full agp and pci-e support, a new case with power supply- a powmax demon 4 with a 450w power supply, and a new ati radeon 9250 256mb (shut up i know it sucks but it has to be better than what i have now right?) i got all this for about 300$ is this a good deal and will the parts be a good upgrade from what i have now?

·
Registered
679 Posts
the mobo is a good upgrade board if you eventually go to pci-e, but nor the best for OCing I've heard. The proc looks good, and the psu will be good for a year or 2, but the video card has to go...that one is worse than the MX that you have installed currently...but only by a little bit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how is it worse! my geforce is a crappy integrated thing running at 100mhz! it even drawa its ram from my systems! the radeon is at 250 mhz and has 256mb of ram, how is that worse?

·
Banned
152 Posts
sounds like a deal!! i have been wanting to upgrade...but due to a lack or money cough...us navy..cough cough...cannot. i love my job, just not the pay!
i had my eye on that board, due to agp and pci-e 16...and that proc is really really good for price and performance. it can hit 2.8 easy. you might want to up your ram...get this, if you can afford it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146890
that is what i WANT...it is also good...soloz2 has assured me that it is more than capable for oc'ing. is your psu up to par? what kind of amperage does it have for 12v? if your running lots of fans and lights it might not work out...but for that vid card and stuff, it should be ok if you clock it up a little. have fun, and i am jealous of your upgrade!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol awsome sorry u dont get great pay i managed that due to x-mas and i am only 14 lol! well i will be running a few fans but my old psu is a emachines at 300w so thats a difference, and i want to upgrade to pci-e but its expensive (think your budget sucks i get 16$ a month) so i will stick with that plus asrock is making a addon card so u dont need to buy a new mobo when amd socket mm2 comes out (socket 940) in 2006 for most of their processors.

·
Banned
152 Posts
and also...if this card ever comes out for agp...get the 6800gs...and look for decent clock numbers...above 400 preferably. and go with a decent brand...like bfg or xfx...whoever has lifetime replacement! (even if you mess it up!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i see well my friend has almost the same setup we both bought the same emachines computer and are trying to see who get make thires the best for the least amount of money and i got the radeon because i bought it off my uncle for 10$

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer2009

i see well my friend has almost the same setup we both bought the same emachines computer and are trying to see who get make thires the best for the least amount of money and i got the radeon because i bought it off my uncle for 10$

Well it beats that onboard videocard by far, and for a good price!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol my friend has a even worse budget he gets a whole 0$ a month so he has only one upgrade and thats one more stick of 512mb ram

·
Banned
152 Posts
your old sempron...what you could do is sell your current stuff...or let your friend have it in case his stuff breaks...either way, that new athlon will be smoking fast!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my sempron is socket A at 1.552 volts has 333mhz fsb it has a barton core and a 512kb l2 catche. the athlon 64 3200+ has a venice croe 1000mhz fsb i forgot the voltage and i hear can overclock like crazy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awsome i mostly play cs-s and hl2 but i have fear and quake 4 and doom 3 waiting to go when my upgrades come btw what would my porcessor/cpu sell for just a estimate

·
Banned
152 Posts
cod2 is sweet...but not for that vid card!! get a 6600gtoc or wait for the gs...like i said, either way, its 200 bucks...well spent at that!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol i need to find a job for my computer upgrades and i just got a car sadly i cant even drive yet but what is the ati equivilent to the 6800 is it the x700 or x800?

·
Banned
152 Posts
i think 700 was equivalent to lower 6800's, and 800 was for higher, like gt and ultra...but just go with the nvidia!! its the way the game was meant to be played!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts