Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kai, my secondary rig has always ran well, until one day it just started shutting off on it's own. It even shuts off while i keep it on the post screen. So my question is, is this related to a defect power supply, or is it something else?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, clean the CPU cooler and reapply some thermal compound. If it still is messing up, then it might be the PSU.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the first thing i checked. When it would boot into windows, i would open up hardware monitor, to check the tempatures, and the tempatures don't pass 40c. If youwant the exact specs of this pc, just golook at my systems in my profile. Could it be the ram?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova.
View Post

Yeah, clean the CPU cooler and reapply some thermal compound. If it still is messing up, then it might be the PSU.

This
or your cpu block has loosened or fallen off its mounting bracket/support.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies! I'll just clear up what is happening.
From what i've seen, the cpu block is on, and working at it's fullest. I will check this when i get home, but i dought it. The computer will shut off instantly, no blue screen, just a shutoff. It will do it in windows, in the post screen, anywhere. I will test my PSU once i get home, if i find my multimeter.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuginu
View Post

Apevia's Beast 680W. About two years old.

http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.a...=ATX-AS680W-BK

I like Apevia's specs. They basically admit that ripple and noise exceed ATX specs, at 62mV and 102mV on the +3.3V and +5V rails, respectively. And they expect you to pull a combined +5V and +3.3V draw of 330W? I don't think that's physically possible. And it has a -5V rail, so it predates March, 2003.

I'd be shocked if this thing could provide more than 250W.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.a...=ATX-AS680W-BK

I like Apevia's specs. They basically admit that ripple and noise exceed ATX specs, at 62mV and 102mV on the +3.3V and +5V rails, respectively. And they expect you to pull a combined +5V and +3.3V draw of 330W? I don't think that's physically possible. And it has a -5V rail, so it predates March, 2003.

I'd be shocked if this thing could provide more than 250W.

You pretty well got me confused there
soo, could it be lack of power turning off my pc, it never did that before

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuginu
View Post

You pretty well got me confused there
soo, could it be lack of power turning off my pc, it never did that before

Basically, if I had a checklist with all the dishonest, crappy, and stupid things a company can do to make a bad power supply, that Apevia would probably check every one.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Lol. Thats horrible. Even if your problem might not be PSU (which I am thinking it is at this point) related, I would still buy another one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts