Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to OC my 680(MSI reference) for better Valley Benchmark results, but the screen went black for a few seconds followed by a crash when I get video output again after running the benchmark for a minute or so.
Here's my settings in afterburner:

Sorry 4 bad english

·
Registered
800 Posts
Pritty much sounds like failing overclock ....or mybe somthing wrong with valley benchmark .....try runing furmark stress test for gpu and see if you still get black screen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

Pritty much sounds like failing overclock ....or mybe somthing wrong with valley benchmark .....try runing furmark stress test for gpu and see if you still get black screen.
In furmark the clock speed seems to be capped between 966-1005 mhz, it never reach my clock settings mentioned in my 1st post and no black screen issues

I never OC'd a high end card before and I don't know why the clock speed is capped

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

Max out your power limit first.
Can the stock cooler handle it?I don't want to cook my 680 since it's my first $300+ gpu in my life

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honam1021 View Post

Can the stock cooler handle it?I don't want to cook my 680 since it's my first $300+ gpu in my life
It should be fine, just monitor the temps. It may get a little toastier but it won't skyrocket and catch on fire - just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

It should be fine, just monitor the temps. It may get a little toastier but it won't skyrocket and catch on fire - just keep an eye on it
Do I also have to set the fan speed at 100%?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honam1021 View Post

Do I also have to set the fan speed at 100%?
Depends on your temps, I can't stand that amount of fan noise but that's just me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This sounds like a driver crash which means your core clock is unstable. Up the voltage and try again. If it still fails you have to lower the core clock as you've reached your OC limit.

I don't think the power target has anything to do with it since all it does is clock throttling, not causing instabilities.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiadventures View Post

Well its obvious your card cant cant +115Mhz lower your overclock until its stable
If I bump the core voltage to max, is there a chance that the OC will become stable

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiadventures View Post

No it will not without modifying the bios
The stock bios allows you to increase the voltage up to 100 mv, while some custom bios allow you to add more

1 - 16 of 16 Posts