50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this card worth it for the time being until i upgrade to PCI-E
Leadtek Winfast GeForce 6800LE 8xAGP 256-bit 128MB DDR
R1,253.00

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
If you can unlock it then it should beat the 6600GT.
But it all depends on how long you intend to keep it. If you are going to change your mobo very soon then I suggest you wait and get yourself a PCI-E card.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krablar

i give myself a about 6 months.
This card is worse than the 6600gt?

Not necessarily.

The 6600GT has a core clocked at 500 MHz (compared to 325 MHz for the 6800XT) and GDDR3 memory (compared to DDR memory for the 6800XT)

The 6800XT has a memory interface of 256 bits (compared to 128 bits for the 6600GT) and 4 vertex shaders (compared to 3 for the 6600GT) and memory bandwidth of 22.4 GB/s (compared to 16 GB/s for the 6600GT).

Only when overclocked does it beat the 6600GT.

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Quote:

Will this card run fear on medium. Thats all i really want to know.

Yes that card IMO should be able to run FEAR at medium probably quite easy..you could also get that game looking really good if you have atlest 1-1.5gb ram

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

we're talking bout the LE not the XT

There's not much difference between the LE and the XT.
The XT is sometimes clocked at a slightly higher rate and thus has a higher fill rate.

Yes it should run F.E.A.R. on medium settings and sorry for the confusion between the LE and the XT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When u were talking bout unlocking the LE to the 6600gt, do u mean just overclock it to the same clock speeds.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

When u were talking bout unlocking the LE to the 6600gt, do u mean just overclock it to the same clock speeds.

I wasn't saying you can unlock the LE (6600 or 6800) to a 6600GT.
I was talking about unlocking pipelines on the 6800LE to make it run like a 6800.

To answer your question.
When you unlock a card it means you activate pipelines that are already there but disabled.
When you overclock a card it means you raise the core and memory speeds in MHz.
So unlocking and overclocking are somehow different although they both help improve the performance of your video card.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
There is no guarantee that your card will unlock to anything but you can use RivaTuner to attempt it. And even if it unlocks sometimes it just creates artifacts (anomalies in the image) and you are forced to revert to the original card features (number of pixel & vertex units).
Check this link to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Quote:

Will this card run fear on medium. Thats all i really want to know.

um... i dunno, my guess would be probably not. my system bairly handles the game 1024x768 with 2xAA, with a mix of medium and high settings. but maybe something is wrong with my system?? lol i don't think so though....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think there is because u have got a really nice system. I think u should be able to run FEAR at full without a problem. AM i right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts