1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

Depends on the price.

The new ones are LED LCD displays and the old ones are CCFL LCD's.

Correct.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Correct.

lol. thanks.
is there a difference between CCFL and TFT?

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blindwarrior
View Post

It looks like I might be able to get one of those for around $300 on eBay used.. what do you think of that?

For 300$ no. This is what I'd go for.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-9270

IPS panel. 23". 300$. Brand New and not few years old. The one you're looking at is TFT LCD. This is an IPS panel.
Quality.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
lol. thanks.
LED isn't a panel technology but a backlight technology. I guess it's a misnomer that Duckie was trying to clear up. All LED panels are still LCD

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Correct.

Beat me to it

Quote:

lol. thanks.
The backlight. CCFL and LED both are LCD's, but with different types of lights behind them.

Quote:

For 300$ no. This is what I'd go for.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-9270

IPS panel. 23". 300$. Brand New and not few years old. The one you're looking at is TFT LCD. This is an IPS panel.
Quality.
TFT is the techology behind LCD. IPS, TN, VA, all are TFT. It looks like the apple one is VA.

OP, as for that monitor, for $300, I might go for it. You get a crap stand (why apple can't make a functional stand, I don't know), it's solid, but no features. So do you want a good stand, or the extra pixels over the Dell u2311h. Would be a hard decision for me. I'd probably get the dell, for the fact that it's new, IPS, and excellent stand. It's also got a better response rate, and more than a few features that came around after that apple was made.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
all of the cinema displays are very nice, however they are not intended for gaming. they are very high color accuracy, but have poor response times.

so if you are an artist or video editor they are great, if you are a gamer then not so much.
Not really, a tiny bit worse than TN monitors, but not noticeable in any way.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born4TheSky View Post
Picture is not that crispy if you are watching movie and it's not that amazing for pictures ether.
I think you'd be more suited to a TN panel then. The point of an S-PVA panel is superior color reproduction; but I digress, the newer IPS panels can sometimes be much better than older monitors. Apple Cinema Displays are very high quality though from my experience.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
I think you'd be more suited to a TN panel then. The point of an S-PVA panel is superior color reproduction; but I digress, the newer IPS panels can sometimes be much better than older monitors. Apple Cinema Displays are very high quality though from my experience.
In my experience, *IPS>*VA, new, old, or in between, pretty much across the board

·
Registered
490 Posts
Apple displays are very good, but insanely overpriced. IIRC they are dell monitors wrapped up in shiny aluminum.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
In my experience, *IPS>*VA, new, old, or in between, pretty much across the board
You might be right. I did however see a Samsung 27" S-PVA panel which looked amazing compared to a Dell U2311H in terms of viewing angle etc. Maybe the panel quality makes a little difference?

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Apple Cinema Displays are very good. If you can get it for $300, I'd go for it, even used. The Apple Cinemas have very good backlights as well as well as IPS which gives them the slight edge. At retail price, no not worth the extra over other IPS's but at that price, go for it. However for gaming, the Apple Cinemas tend to have high response times thus not ideal for gaming compared to other IPS's (with Overdrive).

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
Apple Cinema Displays are very good. If you can get it for $300, I'd go for it, even used. The Apple Cinemas have very good backlights as well as well as IPS which gives them the slight edge. At retail price, no not worth the extra over other IPS's but at that price, go for it. However for gaming, the Apple Cinemas tend to have high response times thus not ideal for gaming compared to other IPS's (with Overdrive).
Not IPS on this one, look at the viewing angles. If I wasn't sure apple wouldn't use a TN panel, that's what I'd guess it was. So it has to be a PVA.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
Not IPS on this one, look at the viewing angles. If I wasn't sure apple wouldn't use a TN panel, that's what I'd guess it was. So it has to be a PVA.
Well yeah this one is a couple years old. Here's the latest one they have for sale, it might be IPS but I have no idea:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTA4MzU1MzE

Well I was thinking about an ACD to match my Power Mac case mod, but in this case it sounds like it might not be worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blindwarrior View Post
Well yeah this one is a couple years old. Here's the latest one they have for sale, it might be IPS but I have no idea:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTA4MzU1MzE

Well I was thinking about an ACD to match my Power Mac case mod, but in this case it sounds like it might not be worth it.
Yeah, the new ones are all IPS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts