Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-014-_-Product

i have a corsair h50, and since the corsair pulls air from outside the case, and my room gets hot. i need to know if i should upgrade to the noctua,

and would i be seeing better temps with it?

my temps are 39-41 idle, 65 load stock clocked.

and if this cooler is better then h50 would it be worth it for the extra and get dh14 noctua

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

It's good, but not better than your H50

This.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cuz i seen that in reviews that the core i7 idles at 31 but mine idles at 40 some times 43 lol,

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
What thermal compound are you using, and it could be that others place a more powerful fan on the Radiator of the H50. There's a lot that could effect temperatures.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im using the stock compound that i messed up a little while installing, and stock fan and radiator, so between this h50, what air cooler would be better, and if i add 2 better fans for push pull, will i see better temps

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by enkay
View Post

ok cuz i seen that in reviews that the core i7 idles at 31 but mine idles at 40 some times 43 lol,

There are several factors to temperatures.

-TIM used
-TIM application variance
-CPU speed
-CPU voltage
-CPU IHS quality
-Ambient temperatures
-Dust on heatsink
-Heatsink sample variance
-Case airflow
...and so on

Reviews are to give you an idea of where a cooler stands. They don't tell you exactly what temps you will get.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
You could see better temps with push/pull, but I think if you apply some IC7 diamond thermal compound you'd see better results.

As far as an air cooler you could try Prolimatech Megahelms which is around that price with a good 38mm fan (slightly cheaper). There is also the Prolimatech Megashadow which is the black version of the Megahelms, not sure how that performs as far as being better than the Megahelms but that's my input. I'm not too up to date with recent coolers yet so I can't say any others really.

• Rep+
Reactions: custommadename

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, i always thought the noctua was the best cooler

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
They have another one where it is a 140mm in the middle 120 on the outside and you have an option of sticking another 120 on the other side for a total of 3 fans, and it also has 2 separate coolers. 43 at idle isnt to bad if your ambient temps are like mine (between 25 and 28c) but what really matters is your load temps.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Yeah, it's a pretty good cooler. There's better for the price range though.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
First of all, you should be looking at net temps. Running hot with a high ambient is to be expected.

Try debugging your current setup before looking at a new cooler. Here is an 80-way thermal paste review. It's worth looking at before you do anything rash.

Also, look at your setup. You are already pulling air from the outside of the case. I doubt an air cooler would improve much on your system with a high ambient. But you might look at making it easier for the air to get out of your case. IIRC your radiator sits where the exhaust fan normally sits. How is your air getting out?

Also, think about removing the metal grill. That might improve the airflow through your rad by 50%. Check out what I did to my case as an example.

Post a pic or two.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
the d14 is good in some situations, not all. Just remember though, like some have said, if you don't keep the ambients down, nothing is going to cool your cpu better. I would say buy some high performance thermal compound. I just bought the gelid gc extreme and it is really great! Easy to spread and non conductive. Plus, scores as one of the best compounds in that 80 way round up.

Or, you could always upgrade your fans. After all, the performance of your heatsink is directly related to the fans you use on it.

Good luck

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm ok im also getting the silverstone ft02 case so i was wondering how this would effect the corsair h50, im going to upgrade the tim and add push pull setup with scythe flex

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by enkay View Post
hmm ok im also getting the silverstone ft02 case so i was wondering how this would effect the corsair h50, im going to upgrade the tim and add push pull setup with scythe flex
It looks like you should have the H50 exhaust air out the top with the ft02. You could also possibly put the H50 at the bottom of your case on top of the intake fan. Then have another fan on the H50 blow air upwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts