1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Wouldn't recommend it. Most here will say the same thing; colored tubing with distilled + biocide is the best way to do it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Honestly don't see the point of coolants as they provide no performance gain nor any benefits aside from color. If you were too cheap and bought clear tubing then you're probably losing money as you have to invest in coolants for color when you could have spent that extra buck or two on colored tubing.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i actually got clear tubing on purpose becasue i wanted my res to have color liquid in it, i think it looks cool,
why is there a problem if i mix metals, i have my cpu and nb are copper and my mosfet is silver i think

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Not sure but I think mixing metal causes heavy stains on your loop. If you wanted a colored reservoir you could of just added an led light or gotten a frozenq reservior(reactor/liquidF res).

Using coolants causes a ton of buildup later on and an extreme pain to clean out sometimes.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkuatic View Post
Not sure but I think mixing metal causes heavy stains on your loop. If you wanted a colored reservoir you could of just added an led light or gotten a frozenq reservior(reactor/liquidF res).

Using coolants causes a ton of buildup later on and an extreme pain to clean out sometimes.
wow definatly didnt know that, i guess i will not water cool my mosfet then lol
i have a case that has good airflow

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMore1205 View Post
wow definatly didnt know that, i guess i will not water cool my mosfet then lol
i have a case that has good airflow
I'm not sure on the stain w/ mixing metals though I did see a post by a member who had mixed metals and his blocks came out pretty stained. Case isn't all that there is to airflow, fans and other stuff too. Cooling your memory is also more important than your mosfets.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkuatic
View Post

I'm not sure on the stain w/ mixing metals though I did see a post by a member who had mixed metals and his blocks came out pretty stained. Case isn't all that there is to airflow, fans and other stuff too. Cooling your memory is also more important than your mosfets.

yeah i know man, the case is a work in progress but this is what it looked like 3 days ago

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mixing metals in a loop leads to galvanic corrosion taking place on your metallic curfaces over time unless you use a corrosion inhibitor. It's bad news. It's not simply staining. It will seriously and magnificently screw up your blocks, rad, pump... Basically all the stuff that has metal surfaces in contact with your fluid. Again, a corrosion inhibitor additive will take care of this problem.

On another subject, mostly because I don't think anyone has really made this clear... Water is the best coolant you can use in a liquid cooled PC. There is nothing better. Try as you might to fight one that is engineered to perfection, water beats everything hands down.

So why is it that these coolants exist? A combination of marketing and people who figure that "x coolant is used by NASA on the Space Shuttle!" and therefore that coolant must be more effective than water. They never are. Most specialized coolants exist to perform in circumstances where water can't be used.

For example, antifreeze (water + propylyene glycol) is used as a coolant in cars because in the winter, you don't want the coolant to be frozen in the lines when the car starts up. Not because it's a more effective coolant. The glycol dilutes the water's effectiveness as a coolant but it's used because the circumstances of use require it.

These special circumstances don't exist in PC cooling. Your water will be between 15c and 60c regardless of what you do, and this range doesn't require special additives. You are better off using straight water with a tiny bit of some biocide to make sure microbes don't grow in your loop, and that is all.

So, to reiterate. This isn't just people telling you to save your money and "settle" for water. They're telling you to use water because it is better than whatever x coolant you're proposing, because we've seen them all. They never stack up to natural H2O.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
^ +1, bookmarked for future sig use.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
disilled water and a few drops of pt nuke or a silver coil, if you want color get colored tubing. That collant **** blocks the flow in your blocks basicly letting you clean then once every like 2 weeks. Disilled water is not only cheap, but with some $3 silver coil, or pt nuke last way way longer till you have to clean the loop, most of the time like only twice a year if that.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMore1205
View Post

i know this is probobly stupid, but can i add a dye to distilled water???
i just want the actualy liquid to be colorful

You can, you just plain shouldn't, though.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dam it, so even a little bit of dye willl mess my blocks up?
if i just use distilled water byitself i can use diffferent metals?

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMore1205
View Post

i know this is probobly stupid, but can i add a dye to distilled water???
i just want the actualy liquid to be colorful

sure you could, but have fun getting new tubing every 2 months because they are all stained and ugly and completly disasembling your blocks every month to clear all the crap dyes leave behind out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts