Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I am building a new system for my parents they will basically be using it for internet, email, photo editing, and word documents. As far as I know you really don't need much graphics power for that, will this graphics card suffice? By suffice I mean will it be better than just onboard? (that may seem like a stupid question considering that any gpu will essentially reduce strain on the cpu, but I've heard stupider)
Also, a wee off topic what is a good cheap ($50 - $80) mobo that I could buy for their new intel conroe build?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
that is a great card for what they are doing. and this seems like a good budget conroe board... but i dont know a whole lot about it

• Rep+
Reactions: kagaos

·
Registered
865 Posts
That graphics card is better than mine, and I play WoW...

YOU, sir, WILL BE OKEY DOKEY FINEY RIGHTY ON!

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks!
Oh and about the mobo, I would like to do some moderate (as much as I can with a TTBT) overclocking, could you hook me up with something that can do that?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Look at the board I linked. It's exactly like it's bigger brother, the DS3, only stripped down a little.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kagaos
View Post

Alright, thanks!
Oh and about the mobo, I would like to do some moderate (as much as I can with a TTBT) overclocking, could you hook me up with something that can do that?

If you don't live around your parents / with them, then I wouldn't bother overclocking... might just give problems if your not around to fix it...

I'm not sure about a board tho... just throwing that Idea out there.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope I still got me 2 years of high school left...plus they are sadly on a budget

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Nope I still got me 2 years of high school left...plus they are sadly on a budget

Ahhh... HS... good times good times...

Still have 3 years left here XD

Well... OC sounds good if you are there to fix things... I'm pretty sure that members here will direct you to a great board...

I'm an AMD guy right now... not really in the loop with one or the other yet... waiting for AMD to make a move...

Have fun, and good luck w/ the build

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks TYR13!
Well anybody out there that is an intel man I have a few more questions about the build (and yes this IS going off topic...but sshhh no one has to know) do I want a board with a ddr standard of ddr800? By that I mean if I get ddr 800 ram (which would probably be a good idea?) and put it in a board with ddr667 standard would it underclock it??

• Rep+
Reactions: Tyr13

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I really don't understand the whole point of the "DDR Standard" but I figured that if the board has a rated FSB of 800 or 1066, DDR2-800 would work at its rated speed.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I gather it is simply the default bios sets the ram speed at. Now if I guy was to go in there and OC just the ram would it turn out nice and stable like or would everything get all confuzzeled?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

View Post

From what I gather it is simply the default bios sets the ram speed at. Now if I guy was to go in there and OC just the ram would it turn out nice and stable

If I understand the concept correctly, exactly. You would just go into the BIOS and instead of it set at 667, you'd set it to 800.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johonm333
View Post

y not build a AM2 rig with an integrated 6100 an a sepron CPU? only like 70-100 dollers and i can play source with it.

just a suggestion as the semprons load pretty well

He's building a Conroe system. Conroe > Sempron.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He's got ya by the jewels there johnm333

Thanks for the suggestion but I want to do a conroe build.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts