Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was trying to do something and got reports of bad blocks, ran a long test in seagate for dos and it fixed some bad blocks or whatever.... just want to know whats up with this thing

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Looks fine to me. Run a chkdsk to make sure things are good to go and keep an eye on things. Also, look at my sig...

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

Looks fine to me. My 500gb hdd has had some bad blocks for as long as I can remember and it's never given me any problems.
yea I have a wd 1tb sata2 drive that has some. I actually pulled it from a usb enclosure where the usb part went bad and it has been going for years in my home file server.

I'm actually running seatools on the drives in that machine now since I don't know if the bad blocks that drive has have ever been reallocated or what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Looks fine to me. Run a chkdsk to make sure things are good to go and keep an eye on things. Also, look at my sig...
I don't have any data on the drive at all now -- I didn't have anything on it but steam games anyway.

about your sig yea, I have a huge music collection on my other machine that is on two hard drives but it still doesn't feel entirely safe to me so I am going to buy a third one soon and only connect it when I want to update the backup.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Run a surface scan and make sure there are no bad blocks. My rule of thumb is to replace a drive when i find even 1 bad block.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Run a surface scan and make sure there are no bad blocks. My rule of thumb is to replace a drive when i find even 1 bad block.
there were bad blocks, like I said in my first post I ran a long scan using seatools (took about 4-5 hrs) and it found some bad blocks and then it ran a short DST test and fixed them...So you think this drive is dying then ? of course I'm out of warranty by like 3 months and seatools only gives you one year for OEM drives (got it from newegg)

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareDecoder View Post

Quote:

there were bad blocks, like I said in my first post I ran a long scan using seatools (took about 4-5 hrs) and it found some bad blocks and then it ran a short DST test and fixed them...So you think this drive is dying then ? of course I'm out of warranty by like 3 months and seatools only gives you one year for OEM drives (got it from newegg)
Seatools doesn't fix bad blocks....

How many were there?

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Seatools doesn't fix bad blocks....
I'm not entirely versed on sectors vs blocks but seatools definitely said it had found bad blocks or sectors (can't remember) then proceeded to fix them by remapping I believe and then ran a short dst test and claimed all was good. utilities in windows that had found bad blocks before now don't so?

I think it was 48 errors it said it found

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I would run another long test and make sure that there are no more as the short test doesn't full test the drive and can easily not find bad blocks if it doesn't look in the right place, or if a block is tested thoroughly enough.

if you found 48 bad blocks, it is time for a new drive even if seatools fixed it.

• Rep+
Reactions: HardwareDecoder

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

I would run another long test and make sure that there are no more as the short test doesn't full test the drive and can easily not find bad blocks if it doesn't look in the right place, or if a block is tested thoroughly enough.

if you found 48 bad blocks, it is time for a new drive even if seatools fixed it.
Maybe so but i'm cheap so I will just use it as non-important storage until it has another issue. I'm not looking forward to buying another mech drive with a 1 year warranty. I did see if you buy from amazon you can get a $8.94 square trade warranty that lasts two years and seems to cover alot...

kind of looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376198481&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+3tb

seems to be the same drive I have w/ 1 more 1tb platter

ugh I paid 100$ for the 2000 so $100/15(months) = 6.66$ a month.... sounds pretty crappy to me.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareDecoder View Post

Quote:

Maybe so but i'm cheap so I will just use it as non-important storage until it has another issue. I'm not looking forward to buying another mech drive with a 1 year warranty. I did see if you buy from amazon you can get a $8.94 square trade warranty that lasts two years and seems to cover alot...

kind of looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376198481&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+3tb

seems to be the same drive I have w/ 1 more 1tb platter

ugh I paid 100$ for the 2000 so $100/15(months) = 6.66$ a month.... sounds pretty crappy to me.
Drive's should last much longer than that... ;/

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update: After talking with one very rude guy on phone support and a very nice person on live chat seagate is going to rma my drive. Yay I spose, just wish I didn't have to bother with all this.

Oh and I have to pay for shipping to them
rolleyes.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts