Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It came with my computer when I purchased it (via iBuyPower). Runs my 5770 pretty well. I will be getting a 6950 soon, and do I need to upgrade my PSU as well? I really hope not, because it will take forever to untangle all of the wires and whatnot. Will this PSU ruin my GPU, or viceversa?

Also, if the PSU isn't very good, could you guys recommend a decent PSU (not too expensive) which will run my 6950 and not fail?

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
It's a fairly average power supply. They've got 4-star reviews on the Egg and Amazon.

It may be pushing it with a 6950, though. You probably won't have much OCing headroom.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
It's a unit of above-average quality for cheap junk, it's a little below the quality of the OCZ units, shouldn't be a component killer. It should be OK for the 6950.
You don't need a massive PSU for your rig, a decent 550w unit will be plenty, even with the 6950, and a good 650/700w unit will have enough poke for xfire if your board supports it (not sure if it does, if it's the same as the MA770-UD3 it doesn't).

You have a good enough unit for now, just keep an eye on Newegg for an opportunity to pick up something like the Antec TPN 550 or 650 for bargain prices, they had them for about $50 after MIR a few months back. And the only reason to swap is for better quality power with less ripple and more stable voltages so you can overclock more.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn
View Post

It's a fairly average power supply. They've got 4-star reviews on the Egg and Amazon.

As far as PSU's are concerned, Newegg/Amazon reviews don't mean anything. If the unit turns on and is quiet people will usually give it 4 or 5 stars.

@OP It's sufficient for a 6950... I would replace it though, it's a very old platform and not that great either.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It should handle the 6950 with no problems

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Considering what you have in your current system, that PSU should handle it and an added 6950 with no problems. Just don't stress it too much (i.e. make sure it doesn't get too hot and don't overclock like crazy), else I'd get a new PSU.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GameBoy
View Post

Both of those are bad choices...

At least give reasons for why they are bad choices.

To OP, cheap PSU's dont usually last. They might go for a few months, but usually just fry themselves and hopefully, not your components. It is worth it to spend the $75 on a decent power supply ASAP.

The corsair PSU I have has done me and the other 2 computers in my house well. None of the 3 have had any problems.

*Edit* To the post above me, Ocz PSU's are lackluster at best. I have seen multiple die (some of which I have owned, some friends). I would not recommend Ocz for anyone.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarySnack
View Post

To OP, cheap PSU's dont usually last. They might go for a few months, but usually just fry themselves and hopefully, not your components. It is worth it to spend the $75 on a decent power supply ASAP.

The corsair PSU I have has done me and the other 2 computers in my house well. None of the 3 have had any problems.

*Edit* To the post above me, Ocz PSU's are lackluster at best. I have seen multiple die (some of which I have owned, some friends). I would not recommend Ocz for anyone.

?????
My 600w model has been tested and can give up to 700w continuous power
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-st...2-600w-review/

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarySnack;13056009

the coolermaster extreme cannot produce it rated power at all. it can at most product ~450w without the ripple going out of spec.
for the antec basicq.. the quality is also rather substandand units based on some old platform by fsp. clearly those are not good units.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarySnack;13056009

The BP550 is a very average performing Delta unit, and isn't worth the asking price, and the CM eXtreme Powers.... well they're just bad.

And OCZ isn't bad (although not a great choice in this case either), the Stealthxstream II's are pretty solid budget PSU's.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'd not run under 600watt for 69xx cards in a system. I could hear an antec 550 sagging under load from a 6970 and switched up to an 850; the card's performance improved. They're roughly the same cards.

Remember that all these newer cards monitor their power input and while they WILL RUN on podunk cheese-dip supplies... its only because they're smarter than you are.

Also keep in mind that some of the most awesome supplies on the market cost less than a new graphics card, let alone an entire computer.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence52;13056599
the coolermaster extreme cannot produce it rated power at all. it can at most product ~450w without the ripple going out of spec.
for the antec basicq.. the quality is also rather substandand units based on some old platform by fsp. clearly those are not good units.
The BP550 is Delta. The Basiq 350/430 are FSP, though.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjindigo;13056717
I'd not run under 600watt for 69xx cards in a system. I could hear an antec 550 sagging under load from a 6970 and switched up to an 850; the card's performance improved. They're roughly the same cards.

Remember that all these newer cards monitor their power input and while they WILL RUN on podunk cheese-dip supplies... its only because they're smarter than you are.

Also keep in mind that some of the most awesome supplies on the market cost less than a new graphics card, let alone an entire computer.
Must have been an older/lower end Antec. Maybe the pre-2008 version of the BP-550, which had like a 312W +12V capacity (or something like that--don't remember), which makes it a 350-400W by modern standards.

A quality unit, like the TruePower New 550W, wouldn't struggle at all. In fact, I doubt a NeoECO 400C would have much difficulty.

And the cards don't monitor their power input from the PSU, they monitor their VRMs. On modern ATI cards to prevent rare instances of the VRMs overheating, on Nvidia cards because the VRMs are about as underspec'd as a lawnmower engine in a semi truck.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Wooww are you serious? A 2.1mb, 3,264px × 1,952px image for something you could have typed? Hurdurr??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts